Author Topic: Florida prepares for Tropical Storm Idalia to make landfall on Gulf Coast with lessons learned from  (Read 2954 times)

Offline libertybele

Fort Myers suffers intense flooding as Hurricane Idalia is set to slam Florida — fueled by rare blue supermoon
By Katherine Donlevy   
August 29, 2023 6:31pm

Intense flooding transformed Fort Myers roadways into rivers Tuesday as “life-threatening” Hurricane Idalia was set to slam Florida’s southwest coast — fueled by a rare blue supermoon.

The outer bands of the major Category 2 hurricane swept over the metro area, bringing with it strong storm surges that have already flooded residential streets with knee-deep water.

Forecasters warned that Wednesday night’s blue supermoon will also likely cause higher-than-normal tides, meaning some areas of the state can expect storm surges to reach 15 feet.

“I would say the timing is pretty bad for this one,” said meteorologist Brian Haines of the National Weather Service office in Charleston, SC.

Though Idalia is still roughly 200 miles southwest of Tampa, the rising tides have washed onto highways and overfilled canals.

One eerie video showed high-speed winds ripping through palm trees and kicking up miniature sand storms as heavy, dark clouds moved across the sky.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/08/29/fort-myers-suffers-intense-flooding-as-hurricane-idalia-is-set-to-slam-florida-fueled-by-rare-blue-moon/

This appears to be Ft. Myers Beach. I have not hear anything locally about the downtown Ft. Myers area flooding.

Reports are that they dumped tons of sand onto Sanibel to protect the 'causeway' so people can get out -- report are that so far it has worked.  They protected the lighthouse as well with sand -- so far so good.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

You never forget your first time.

She just corrected me.  It's her second hurricane.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

Thank you.  My daughter is in Dunedin/Clearwater.  This will be her first hurricane.

@Hoodat is she planning on staying put??

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
She just corrected me.  It's her second hurricane.

Well, she is not a virgin then.  I think she should ride it out.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline cato potatoe

Thus far it is not great, not terrible.  Winds are maybe gusting to 45 in the heaviest rain.  Our power did its first hiccup a few minutes ago, and an ugly cell is moving across the bay with not much behind it, so fingers crossed.

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Well, she is not a virgin then.  I think she should ride it out.

I think you should STFU.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Our Pastor, wife, and kids are in Panama City, debating whether to stay or not. Their last family gathering before one of his kids marries. Just a little west and they will be under the gun it looks like. Now saying could be a Category 4.

I don't understand the moon effect.. I mean why does it matter how much light is reflected off the moon and how does it determine tide height? The moon is still there no matter how the sun is refracted in my simpleton mind.

EDIT: Now Category 3 and near Category 4 according to Fox Weather.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 07:00:29 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Kamaji

Hurricane Idalia makes landfall in Florida

By Isabel Keane
August 30, 2023

Hurricane Idalia made landfall Wednesday morning in Florida as a dangerous Category 3 hurricane, promising to unleash “life-threatening” storm surges, damaging winds, and copious amounts of rain upon millions of Sunshine State residents.

Idalia, which has strengthened significantly in the past 24 hours, had briefly been categorized as a Category 4 storm before winds tapered off at a relentless 125 mph while making landfall just before 8 a.m. in Florida’s Big Bend region.

Officials with the National Hurricane Center still cautioned, “This change in wind speed does not diminish the threat of catastrophic storm surge and damaging winds.”

The threat of storm surges spans about 200 miles of Florida’s west coast, including the state’s Big Bend area, a sparsely populated area where the peninsula merges into the Panhandle, which was expecting anywhere from 12 to 16 feet of storm surge.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/30/hurricane-idalia-makes-landfall-in-florida-as-category-4-storm/

Offline libertybele

I hope you are ok @Wingnut      We are still experiencing tropical storm conditions and will continue to do so until tomorrow. I woke up to sunny skies, but that was short lived.

Hurricane Idalia makes landfall over Florida's Big Bend as Category 3 storm, tens of thousands without power

Hurricane Idalia has made landfall over Florida’s Gulf Coast as a "catastrophic" Category 3 storm that has already left tens of thousands of residents without power, officials said Wednesday morning.

Idalia is producing storm surges of up to 16 feet in some areas, damaging winds howling up to 125 miles per hour, and historic freshwater flooding that has completely encompassed Floridian roadways, according to the National Hurricane Center.

The National Weather Service in Tallahassee called Idalia "an unprecedented event" as no major hurricanes – those classified as Category 3 or higher – have made landfall through the Big Bend region since hurricane data was first recorded in 1851. The NWS also said "no one" has witnessed a storm strengthen to such magnitude in such a short time.

The storm passed the Apalachee Bay and made landfall over Florida's Big Bend region, where the peninsula merges into the Panhandle. It is directly impacting Gainesville, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Dowling Park, Lake City, Cedar Key, Chiefland, Newberry, Cross City, Apalachicola, Perry and other Florida cities. Its impact will also be felt in Orlando, Spring Hill, Bradenton, Bartow, Ocala, Lake Placid, Tampa, Sarasota, and Fort Myers.

Offline libertybele

Offline Kamaji

Good luck to all TBR Members in Florida, or otherwise in the path of this thing.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I hope you are ok @Wingnut      We are still experiencing tropical storm conditions and will continue to do so until tomorrow. I woke up to sunny skies, but that was short lived.

No effect on us whatsoever.  Sunny blue sky's and a few degrees cooler for the next day or so.   

Hope you and your stuff stays dry!  :)

@libertybele

Offline DB

Our Pastor, wife, and kids are in Panama City, debating whether to stay or not. Their last family gathering before one of his kids marries. Just a little west and they will be under the gun it looks like. Now saying could be a Category 4.

I don't understand the moon effect.. I mean why does it matter how much light is reflected off the moon and how does it determine tide height? The moon is still there no matter how the sun is refracted in my simpleton mind.

EDIT: Now Category 3 and near Category 4 according to Fox Weather.

The ocean tides are caused by gravitational forces from the moon. When the moon is overhead it causes the tide to rise. So if the storm and the moon are both present at the same time the tide is higher than it otherwise would have been doing more damage from water going inland. This description is not complete but the overall gist of it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 02:35:31 pm by DB »

Offline libertybele

No effect on us whatsoever.  Sunny blue sky's and a few degrees cooler for the next day or so.   

Hope you and your stuff stays dry!  :)

@libertybele

Yay for the blue skies!! :beer:

We have gusts of wind with some rain and spots of sunshine. We're good.

Offline Wingnut

:beer:

My BIL lives In Wesley Chapel (North of Tampa)  Haven't heard from him yet.  I assume his place survived cuz he hasn't called looking for a place to stay!  LOL
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 02:36:03 pm by Wingnut »

Offline libertybele

:beer:

My BIL lives In Wesly Chapple (North of Tampa)  Haven't heard from him yet.  I assume his place survived cuz he hasn't called looking for a place to stay!  LOL

Yikes.  Prayers up for him. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Thanks for the update...is it over for you?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The ocean tides are caused by gravitational forces from the moon. When the moon is overhead it causes the tide to rise. So if the storm and the moon are both present at the same time the tide is higher than it otherwise would have been doing more damage from water going inland. This description is not complete but the overall gist of it.
Also this full moon is occurring at perigee, I'm not sure how that will add.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Prayers for all our Briefers and their families that are affected by the hurricane...everyone else too, even the democrats.

Offline libertybele

Thanks for the update...is it over for you?

Not quite -- we'll have tropical force winds and rain today off and on and into tomorrow. I'd say our drought is now over. :)

I really feel for the people who took on a direct hit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 03:23:25 pm by libertybele »

Offline mountaineer

Massive 100-year-old oak tree falls on Gov. Ron DeSantis’ mansion during Hurricane Idalia while his family’s inside
By Selim Algar   
August 30, 2023 2:54pm
For Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Hurricane Idalia really hit home.

A gigantic oak tree toppled onto the side of the Sunshine State leader’s Tallahassee mansion during Hurricane Idalia Wednesday while his wife and three kids were inside.

“100-year-old oak tree falls on the Governor’s Mansion in Tallahassee — Mason, Madison, Mamie and I were home at the time, but thankfully no one was injured,” first lady Casey DeSantis tweeted just before 12:45 p.m.

“Our prayers are with everyone impacted by the storm.”

An accompanying picture showed the moss-covered behemoth cleaved down the middle, with one portion resting on its side and the governor’s mansion in the immediate background. ...
https://nypost.com/2023/08/30/huge-tree-just-misses-desantis-mansion-during-idalia/
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Massive 100-year-old oak tree falls on Gov. Ron DeSantis’ mansion during Hurricane Idalia while his family’s inside
By Selim Algar   
August 30, 2023 2:54pm https://nypost.com/2023/08/30/huge-tree-just-misses-desantis-mansion-during-idalia/

Prayers up for the good governor and his family.  He's got a tremendous amount on his plate right now.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This will impact as a Cat 3 in the Big Bend area, that is what we are hearing locally.   --   We are also hearing that even without it being a hurricane as of right now we could see 2-4 foot of storm surge. Depending on the tide at the time it could have a significant impact.  I like your sister am very concerned.  Wind is one thing, water is another. 

We are under a 'watch' for right now. I am trying to remain calm.

However, and the reason for my huge concern is this is exactly the scenario that played out during Ian.  They kept telling us that the hurricane would hit the Big Bend area and it hit Lee county as a Cat5 (that's what was recorded here locally different than the 'official' records of Cat 4).  Storm surge was extreme.

Prayers up for your sister @mystery-ak
Near and at the full moon, the high tides tend to be higher, the low tides, lower. ("Spring Tides")

The storm surge will be superimposed on that.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 11:34:50 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You never forget your first time.

Or your 9th, 10th, and 11th.

I was surprised this thing reached Cat 4.  That was a hell of a day of strengthening.  1-4 in 24 hours.  Very impressive.

When our Louisiana 100+ year old homestead got hit by Laura, we lost Virgin Pine trees that were easily 120-140 years old.  That is at least how long ago similar winds were seen.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.