Author Topic: Ron DeSantis Blew His Big Chance  (Read 4796 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Ron DeSantis Blew His Big Chance
« on: August 24, 2023, 08:08:12 pm »
Newsweek, Aug 24, 2024

<snip>

For months, DeSantis was considered the biggest rival to Donald Trump for the Republican's next presidential nominee, with members of the GOP and conservative media backing him to become the de-facto leader of the party heading into 2024.

Instead, DeSantis allowed political newcomer Vivek Ramaswamy to take center stage in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Ramaswamy, who has overtaken DeSantis as the second-placed candidate in some recent GOP primary polls, delivered the most talked-about performance of all the eight candidates, with his enthusiasm and outsider status giving his campaign momentum that DeSantis has consistently failed to muster.

Crucially, the other 2024 hopefuls during the debate appeared to consider Ramaswamy their biggest rival and targeted him instead of DeSantis.

As a result, DeSantis was not part of some of the more fiery moments on stage on Wednesday night. His lack of stand-out moments also made the Florida governor appear like another also-ran candidate, instead of one who at one time was tipped as a potential future president, an expert told Newsweek.

"DeSantis did not engage in the tussles between the other candidates," Joshua Scacco, associate professor and associate chair of the Department of Communication at the University of South Florida, told Newsweek.

"This decision is related to his reticence to engage in a format where message control can be lost. However, debates—by definition—highlight the clash of ideas and positions. When he did not engage with the other candidates, he was overshadowed.

More:
https://www.newsweek.com/ron-desantis-debate-gop-primary-performance-ramaswamy-1822216

Online Kamaji

Re: Ron DeSantis Blew His Big Chance
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 08:10:26 pm »
:mauslaff:

Then again, Trump has managed to keep a lot of idiots fooled and drinking the Orange kool-aid, so no doubt his protege, Mr. Ramaswamy, can do the same thing.

It's regrettable how stupid republican voters have become.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 08:12:49 pm »
FTA:

In an opinion piece for USA Today, columnist Rex Huppke said DeSantis "vanished" for large stretches of the debate and was "upstaged" by Ramaswamy.

"And when the Florida governor did pipe up, it was the same stump-speech pablum he has been spouting for months as his popularity among GOP voters has waned," Huppke added.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 08:19:44 pm »
Copium

Guess what nobody's talking about? That Trump interview with Carlson that was supposed to steal all the thunder.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online LMAO

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 08:23:39 pm »
There’s no doubt that conservatives are hungry for change and eager to start winning elections again.

I think we’re going to have to hold out till 2028. We’re about to nominate a three time election loser

Here’s hoping somebody outside Trump moves ahead in the Republican primary. We are not only on board to lose the presidency in 2024, but the house of representatives as well.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 08:27:58 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 08:27:51 pm »
Ah yes, the No True Scotsman argument.
The Republic is lost.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 08:28:02 pm »
Guess what nobody's talking about? That Trump interview with Carlson that was supposed to steal all the thunder.

Untrue.  Over 150M have watched it and scads of positive articles have been published about it.  I, myself, was going to post a couple, but, you know, why waste the bandwidth  :shrug:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 03:52:07 am »
"Rod DeSantis considers last night a victory because he successfully avoided conflict.  What a colossal pu$$y." (Video).

https://twitter.com/WarlordDilley/status/1694897518113362152

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 03:56:14 am »
At least now we know who the Democrat media is rooting against.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 04:05:26 am »
At least now we know who the Democrat media is rooting against.

Try to make sense, just once.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 04:14:56 am »
Newsweek, Aug 24, 2024

<snip>

For months, DeSantis was considered the biggest rival to Donald Trump for the Republican's next presidential nominee, with members of the GOP and conservative media backing him to become the de-facto leader of the party heading into 2024.

Instead, DeSantis allowed political newcomer Vivek Ramaswamy to take center stage in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Capisce?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 04:45:38 am »
Capisce?

Got it.  A broken clock is right twice a day.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 05:02:08 am »
Not sure what broken clocks have to do with you posting Dem talking points on a Conservative forum.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 05:18:39 am »
NY Times Leads With 7,500 Words on Ron DeSantis, Arrogant ‘Bully’ Hypocrite

Clay Waters  |  August 24th, 2023 2:53 PM

As the opening round of the 2024 presidential campaign kicked off Wednesday night with the first Republican debate, Tuesday’s lead New York Times story was a 7,500-word investigative epic by Nicholas Confessore, Times reporter and MSNBC political analyst, on the highest polling Republican on the lectern that night.

The mission was clear from the headline: 2024 presidential candidate, Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, was an elitist hypocrite. “How Ron DeSantis Joined the ‘Ruling Class’ -- and Turned Against It,” it read.  .  .

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/clay-waters/2023/08/24/ny-times-leads-7500-words-ron-desantis-arrogant-bully-hypocrite

Imagine that.  On the very day that the Democrat controlled MSM has their greatest opportunity to pile on Trump, they go after DeSantis.  Why do you think that is, @Right_in_Virginia ?  And a better question, why are you on board with it?

It was clear in 2016 that the MSM wanted Trump to be the GOP nominee.  And it is just as clear today.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2023, 05:47:19 am »
Copium

Word is FOX  employees have been ordered to not even mention it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 05:48:21 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2023, 05:50:11 am »
"Rod DeSantis considers last night a victory because he successfully avoided conflict.  What a colossal pu$$y."

"Avoid", as in hide from the debate and blame it on being not wanting to be attacked. A colossal grab em by the pu$$y Donnie... just used butt kiss Tucker to serve up softball questions (not even live, probable scripted) to broadcast during the debates because even an obviously tired Trump can't stand to be out of the spotlight for even one night.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online LMAO

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2023, 12:12:33 pm »
Not sure what broken clocks have to do with you posting Dem talking points on a Conservative forum.

Repeating Democrat talking points more frequent thing for her

I’m still waiting for her to back her claim that Briefers  who are concerned about are out of control spending have stated that a desire for a balance budget means that they want to starve grandma

So far nothing
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2023, 12:20:57 pm »
Untrue.  Over 150M have watched it and scads of positive articles have been published about it.  I, myself, was going to post a couple, but, you know, why waste the bandwidth  :shrug:

Caleb Hull
@CalebJHull
Tucker’s interview analytics are being completely inflated by people who don’t understand how social media works. Using the old version of the app, it shows 12M video plays, not 200M like everyone is pushing.

Still significant but no where close to 200M.

Caleb Hull
@CalebJHull
Anyone that sees a tweet in their feed is a "view." Doesn't matter if they never started the video. Also, if they see the video 17 times in their feed because people are quote tweeting, it counts as 17 views.

Caleb Hull
@CalebJHull
200M views means every time a person sees the tweet in their feed, it's a view. If the same person sees the tweet 37 times, it's 37 views. Doesn't even matter if they never clicked play on the video.

The video itself only has 12M views.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2023, 01:22:25 pm »
Copium

Exactly.   I heard a couple of short audio clips played by conservative talk radio but nothing newsworthy. And the millions of listeners were only ones who already made their choice, all die hard Trumpies.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2023, 02:53:26 pm »
Ron DeSantis seems to have a self-identity crisis - doesn't know who he is, or who he wants to become.  This is a common trait among US Senate GOP wet noodles, like Lindsey Graham.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2023, 03:19:16 pm »
Untrue.  Over 150M have watched it and scads of positive articles have been published about it.

See, this is the kind of mindless endorsement of Trumpian propaganda that gives them no credibility.  150M is just flat-out ridiculous - that's more than twice as many people as actually voted for Trump. 30 million more than watched the Super Bowl.  Nearly double the number of actual Twitter users in the U.S.!!

It's the kind of number that would have told a reasonable person "wait - that number cannot possibly be the number of people who actually watched that interview.  Maybe I oughta dig a bit before posting that."

But no.  We're just all supposed to accept believe that 150 million people watched Trump's interview.

Says a lot about someone's credibility....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 03:20:10 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online DB

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2023, 03:26:30 pm »
And as always with Trump involved, no actual policy differences are being discussed just blowhard propaganda demonizing his opponents. Prepare for another 4 years in the wilderness if it continues.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2023, 03:28:36 pm »
DeSantis' people are actually right - the fact that the other GOP candidates - especially Christie - didn't try to gang up on him is huge.  It signals that they would be comfortable with him as the nominee, and don't want to burn any potential bridges in a DeSantis Administration.

His goal at this point is to be the last of these challengers standing, but expecting him to deliver a knockout blow against 7 other candidates is unrealistic.  That debate was a good first step for him.  If everyone else turns on Ramaswamy and exposed him for the lightweight he is, that fits right into DeSantis' strategy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 03:37:42 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2023, 03:32:32 pm »
I'm becoming more convinced that Ronny just wants all this over. 

Video:

https://twitter.com/aaronlarnavarro/status/1694889490198810876

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2023, 03:48:42 pm »
See, this is the kind of mindless endorsement of Trumpian propaganda that gives them no credibility.  150M is just flat-out ridiculous - that's more than twice as many people as actually voted for Trump. 30 million more than watched the Super Bowl.  Nearly double the number of actual Twitter users in the U.S.!!

It's the kind of number that would have told a reasonable person "wait - that number cannot possibly be the number of people who actually watched that interview.  Maybe I oughta dig a bit before posting that."

But no.  We're just all supposed to accept believe that 150 million people watched Trump's interview.

Says a lot about someone's credibility....

Relax, sunshine.  No one's claiming the massive number of views were simultaneous ----- the interview has been watched and rewatched over 150M times over days (and climbing).  The interest is phenomenal and ongoing --- whereas 8 of your personal favorites, combined, couldn't hold the interest of 12M for two hours.

So, please, stuff your virtue signaling with the rest of your knee jerks.