Author Topic: The Senate's defense-policy bill looks for threats in the rear-view mirror  (Read 146 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Senate's defense-policy bill looks for threats in the rear-view mirror
The upper house orders up an investigation of the 2020 SolarWinds hack while saying all but nothing about AI.
Michael Mestrovich | AUGUST 22, 2023
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

The Senate in late July passed the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal 2024, setting up a clash with the House when Congress reconvenes after Labor Day.

The $886 billion package includes a 5.2 percent pay raise for troops — the largest increase in 22 years — and policies for the Department of Defense to counter adversaries at a time of rising threats. Worthy moves, to be sure, but I wish the bill packed a bigger wallop on cybersecurity. Here are four initiatives I would like to have seen included.

Better understanding of how artificial intelligence can be used to fight hackers

Here’s a head-scratcher: The defense bill would require the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency to thoroughly investigate the landmark 2020 SolarWinds attack – which already has been thoroughly studied and feels like yesterday’s news – while there’s little to nothing about one of the most talked-about technology topics of the day, AI.

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2023/08/4-ways-defense-spending-bill-could-have-addressed-ai-other-issues-boost-cybersecurity/389586/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson