Author Topic: 3D printing “saves thousands of man-hours” of work aboard a US aircraft carrier  (Read 158 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
3D printing “saves thousands of man-hours” of work aboard a US aircraft carrier
Story by John Hill •

Shipbuilding has always been a famously lengthy development process, and the new demands across defence for contractors to balance time and capability to an optimal level will only strain schedules even further.

However, thanks to developments in advanced manufacturing methods such as 3D printing, the American naval manufacturer HII claims these tech developments will “save thousands of man-hours over time.”

An engineer at HII’s Newport News Shipbuilding division has designed an upgraded spot face cutting tool using 3D printing, which was needed to work aboard John F. Kennedy (CVN 79), a US Navy Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier.

Overcoming shipbuilding delays and cost growth
While this may appear to be a small success on the surface, it actually represents the future potential to cut down shipbuilding timeframes at a time of intensifying military demand as our geopolitical environment sours. Particularly in the Indo-Pacific where the US-China rivalry will increase naval production.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/3d-printing-saves-thousands-of-man-hours-of-work-aboard-a-us-aircraft-carrier/ar-AA1frjs5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f6ad38149f8d449f942bea757c0e30c9&ei=78
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson