Author Topic: Who likes Donald Trump? Lots of Republicans, but especially Hispanic voters, plus very rural and ver  (Read 362 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Conversation 8/11/2023

Who likes Donald Trump? Lots of Republicans, but especially Hispanic voters, plus very rural and very conservative people

Despite multiple state and federal indictments, recent polling indicates that former President Donald Trump retains a commanding lead in the race for the 2024 Republican Party presidential nomination.

So it seems useful to understand who, exactly, supports Trump – and whether the multiple criminal indictments against the former president have had any effect on his nomination prospects.

We are a multiuniversity team of social scientists that has been regularly polling Americans in all 50 states since April 2020.

Our most recent survey, which ran from June 29, 2023, to Aug. 1, 2023, included 7,732 Republicans or Republican-leaning independents. We explored who, among these respondents, supports Trump in the 2024 Republican primary and how they reacted to his June 2023 indictment for withholding classified documents.

Since no other Republican candidate in our survey received more than 5% support, we focus on Trump and his nearest rival, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Consistent with recent polls, we found that Trump has a commanding 40-point lead over DeSantis.

While Trump leads DeSantis across nearly all major demographic categories, his advantage is especially large among Hispanic voters. The same is true when considering Republicans who said that they do not have higher education degrees and those who are very conservative, live in very rural places or are lower-income.

Very conservative voter support

People who identified as “very conservative” comprised 14% of the Republicans in our survey. Their support for Trump in 2024 is overwhelming: They support Trump over DeSantis by a 69-12 margin.

Despite multiple state and federal indictments, recent polling indicates that former President Donald Trump retains a commanding lead in the race for the 2024 Republican Party presidential nomination.

So it seems useful to understand who, exactly, supports Trump – and whether the multiple criminal indictments against the former president have had any effect on his nomination prospects.

We are a multiuniversity team of social scientists that has been regularly polling Americans in all 50 states since April 2020.

Our most recent survey, which ran from June 29, 2023, to Aug. 1, 2023, included 7,732 Republicans or Republican-leaning independents. We explored who, among these respondents, supports Trump in the 2024 Republican primary and how they reacted to his June 2023 indictment for withholding classified documents.

Since no other Republican candidate in our survey received more than 5% support, we focus on Trump and his nearest rival, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Consistent with recent polls, we found that Trump has a commanding 40-point lead over DeSantis.

While Trump leads DeSantis across nearly all major demographic categories, his advantage is especially large among Hispanic voters. The same is true when considering Republicans who said that they do not have higher education degrees and those who are very conservative, live in very rural places or are lower-income.

Very conservative voter support

People who identified as “very conservative” comprised 14% of the Republicans in our survey. Their support for Trump in 2024 is overwhelming: They support Trump over DeSantis by a 69-12 margin.

A recent FiveThirtyEight report showed that the most conservative Republicans were not always such strong supporters of Trump, but their support has risen substantially since Trump’s election in 2016.

Very conservative respondents were also the most likely to say that they were sure about which 2024 candidate they support. Just 5% of this group said they have not yet made up their mind, relative to 19% of moderate Republicans who were unsure of who they would vote for.

Younger support

Despite the 77-year-old Trump’s being more than three decades older than DeSantis, he enjoys significantly higher levels of support among younger Republicans.

More: https://theconversation.com/who-likes-donald-trump-lots-of-republicans-but-especially-hispanic-voters-plus-very-rural-and-very-conservative-people-211166

Offline libertybele

40 pts. is quite a lead.  DeSantis has still earned my vote.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

I am very Conservative. Literally none of my friends want Tumpy. None.

All would love to give DeSantis a shot.

Offline roamer_1

I ain't ever seen a MAGA hat nor a bumper sticker I can recall... And I went looking for em.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I am very Conservative. Literally none of my friends want Tumpy. None.

All would love to give DeSantis a shot.

The survey takes about those who "self-identified" as "very conservative.". That doesn't mean they actually are.  Entirely possible their definition of "very conservative" is warped.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
40 pts. is quite a lead.  DeSantis has still earned my vote.

Me too.  FDT
Fuc Don Trump
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 11:55:15 pm by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Quote from: article

WHAT ?!?! Conservative must of radically changed meanings... This is the man that introduced/allowed Transexuals in his beauty shows (and invited Bruce Jenner to use his women's restroom). This man went after gun owners more than once and has hinted at doing it again. This man has proudly proclaimed his abortion/gay positions and waved a rainbow flag at a rally. This man couldn't come close to a balanced budget even given a Monty Python "holy hand-grenade". 

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....