Author Topic: Wildfires burning across Maui prompt evacuations  (Read 15768 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Wildfires burning across Maui prompt evacuations
« on: August 09, 2023, 12:45:39 pm »
live thread here. Really wild things.......

Here are the headlines....

911 services and communications are down as wildfires burn in Maui, official says

12 people in Maui County were rescued after they jumped into the ocean to escape wildfire dange

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/maui-wildfires-08-09-23/index.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Wildfires burning across Maui prompt evacuations
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 02:30:13 pm »
I wonder how much Maui Wowie gut burnt?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 02:53:20 pm »
I wonder how much Maui Wowie gut burnt?

A really high amount.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 09:42:38 pm »
It sounds like much of the town of Lahaina was incinerated in a firestorm, including a number of buildings from the 19th century. 

Online LMAO

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 09:46:07 pm »
I’ve been to Maui

Beautiful island, and the only island that it didn’t have rain when we were there
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 09:53:22 pm »
Susan Crabtree
@susancrabtree
Horrible news out of Maui: Six people have been confirmed dead after wildfires fueled by hurricane winds began burning in Maui overnight, destroying much of the popular tourist town Lahaina

Maui Lahaina front street destroyed

https://twitter.com/justin_hart/status/1689388982449352707
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 09:55:52 pm »
So so sad. Been to Lahaina many times, Maui a favorite family vacation spot. Such a beautiful town.  It's all gone.   KIMO's having the best Prime Rib. , Burgers in Paradise was amazing, Bubbagumps, the Marina, the museum, Banyan Tree, all gone.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 01:01:40 pm »
Hawaii Fires: Death Toll Climbs to 36 as Flames Engulf Maui

Simon Kent 10 Aug 2023

The death toll in the wildfires ravaging Hawaii climbed to 36 late Wednesday evening, Maui County officials said.

The identities of those killed were not included in the brief statement which confirmed “firefighting efforts continue.”

As Breitbart News reported, earlier in the day the toll stood at six in a wildfire that has razed the resort town of Lahaina on the island of Maui, as desperate residents jumped into the ocean in a bid to escape the fast-moving flames.

Other residents and visitors raced to escape via available air routes.

U.S. Coast Guard officers plucked at least a dozen people from the water as emergency services were overwhelmed by a disaster that appeared to have erupted almost without warning and has burnt entire neighbourhoods to the ground.

The wildfires, driven by strong winds from Hurricane Dora passing far to the south, took the island of Maui by surprise, leaving behind burned-out cars on once busy streets and smoking piles of rubble where historic century-old buildings had once stood.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2023/08/10/hawaii-fires-death-toll-climbs-to-36-as-flames-engulf-maui/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 12:34:03 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 01:29:57 pm »
Shocking Video Shows Hawaii Residents Trying To Escape Fire

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1689307064345165825
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 01:39:58 pm »
That's kind of terrifying.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 02:02:22 pm »
A FB Friend lost a 94YO aunt because the bad air quality exacerbated her existing pulmonary problems. I don't mean this callously, but the town could be rebuilt. The people lost are gone, except in memories.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 06:41:43 pm »
Any news on what started the fire?  I can't seem to find anything on this ---- other than climate change, of course.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 07:39:52 pm »
The cause is said to be unknown. It is likely that many/most of the people and equipment who would investigate the cause are currently fighting the fire.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2023, 07:55:12 pm »
The fact that the entire city of Lahaina is lost is mind boggling.  This was the second largest city on the Island and the actual best tourist center.  Considering the logistics of rebuilding on an island?  It will take decades to recover.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 08:22:11 pm »
The Hawaiian language name Lā hainā means "cruel sun", describing the sunny dry climate.[3] Lahaina's historic district averages only 13 inches (330 mm) of rain per year, much of which occurs from December to February.

Wikipedia.

I read a Cyclone passing south may have contributed high winds and fire prone non native grasses provided fuel.  Maui has been suffering from drought. I am guessing the origin was man made, as opposed to lightning, and conditions caused it to go rapidly out of control.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline berdie

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 08:35:00 pm »
What a frightening situation. I pray for these folks.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 10:09:22 pm »
Stephen Lloyd
@apparentlysteve
BREAKING: Hawaii changes state flag to Ukrainian flag in hopes of getting disaster relief.
3:29 PM · Aug 10, 2023

Seriously, though, Hawaii is a Democrat state. They'll get the disaster relief denied "red" states.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2023, 12:14:32 am »
The fact that the entire city of Lahaina is lost is mind boggling.  This was the second largest city on the Island and the actual best tourist center.  Considering the logistics of rebuilding on an island?  It will take decades to recover.

Yes.  We were just there in December.  It's heart-breaking, how many people have lost their lives, their homes, and/or their livelihoods.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2023, 12:17:09 am »
Death toll update
Support the USO

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2023, 12:28:41 am »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 12:33:47 am by mystery-ak »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2023, 12:51:47 am »
The family owned a condo on Kaanapali since the early 1980s, vacationing each year. Only selling it last year with the upkeep fees climbing too high for the family to hang on to.  The good times we had in Lahaina can't me measured.   Such a tragic loss.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2023, 01:28:44 pm »
Hawaii Wildfires Death Toll Stands at 53, Expected to Rise ‘Very Significantly’

The death toll from the wildfires that have ravaged vast parts of the west coast of Hawaii’s Maui island over the past 48-hours stood at 53 late Thursday night. Authorities have warned the count is expected to rise.

https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2023/08/11/hawaii-wildfires-death-toll-stands-at-53-expected-to-rise-very-significantly/
Support the USO

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2023, 01:47:03 pm »
My daughter and her boyfriend - who had asked my blessing for a proposal - are still there.  They were safe but said it got pretty bad.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2023, 02:29:00 pm »
My daughter and her boyfriend - who had asked my blessing for a proposal - are still there.  They were safe but said it got pretty bad.

Prayers up for their continued safety, @Maj. Bill Martin
Are they vacationing, or do they live there?