Author Topic: Jason Aldean defends himself over backlash to controversial song  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Kamaji

Jason Aldean defends himself over backlash to controversial song: ‘Goes too far’

By Erin Keller
July 18, 2023

Jason Aldean defended himself Tuesday after CMT pulled the controversial music video for his song “Try That in a Small Town” from its rotation amid accusations it is pro-lynching and racist.

“In the past 24 hours I have been accused of releasing a pro-lynching song (a song that has been out since May) and was subject to the comparison that I (direct quote) was not too pleased with the nationwide BLM protests,” Aldean, 46, wrote in a statement posted to his Instagram Story.

“These references are not only meritless, but dangerous.”

In the first verse, Aldean sings: “Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk / Carjack an old lady at a red light / Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store / Ya think it’s cool, well, act a fool if ya like.”

He continues: “Cuss out a cop, spit in his face / Stomp on the flag and light it up / Yeah, ya think you’re tough.”

Then comes the chorus.

“Well, try that in a small town / See how far ya make it down the road / Around here, we take care of our own / You cross that line, it won’t take long / For you to find out, I recommend you don’t,” Aldean warns.

Variety called Aldean’s tune “the most contemptible country song of the decade,” while social media users lambasted him as “a racist who writes barely concealed lynching songs” and a “violent bigot.”

“There is not a single lyric in the song that references race or points to it — and there isn’t a single clip that isn’t real news footage — and while I can try and respect others to have their own interpretation of a song with music — this one goes too far,” Aldean continued on Instagram, referencing the 2017 Las Vegas festival mass shooting and, seemingly, the Covenant School shooting in Nashville.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/18/jason-aldean-defends-try-that-in-a-small-town-amid-backlash/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Jason Aldean defends himself over backlash to controversial song
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 01:21:49 am »
Meritless?

Whoa, waitaminit.

In the nearest small town, BLM and others came to town to have a protest. Yes, I and other delivery drivers (because that's what I did during COVID when the oil patch was flat) were looking for 'construction materials' that seemed out of place and in touch with the local police if we saw anything odd. But come the day of the big protest, there was a counter protest in a parking lot across the street. Good ol' boys in pickups, lots of bikers, and all armed with ARs or similar rifles, just peaceably chatting it up with the cops.

Not one window got broken, no firebombs were set off, they had their protest and left, unmolested.

This was repeated in the western part of the state, with bikers and police and good ol' boys sending the message that this demonstration was damned sure going to be peaceful and non-destructive, or it really wouldn't. And if it came to that the pain would be felt not by the locals, but by any protesters, looters, and vandals that made themselves known by their actions.

Similarly, no buildings were defaced, no windows broken, nothing looted.

Jason Aldean hit it right on the head.

Big city folks might not realize it, but country boys won't put up with that sh*t--from anyone.

We don't care what color their skin is.

We aren't having it here.

And it's only 'dangerous' if you were thinking you were going to walk in here and start something we have to finish.

IMHO, Country Music Television just betrayed their big city roots.
They pulled the tree right out of Country.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 01:27:48 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online LMAO

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 01:38:14 am »
I live in a rural area of Wisconsin, and every household has a gun

We also have no crime. The last time there was an issue with a gun was a guy who was severely depressed that he decided to die by doing a suicide by cop

Criminals thrive in big cities  because they know their victims are unlikely to be armed
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 01:44:34 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 01:59:13 am »
He's damnwell right.

No controversy there.

Online LMAO

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 02:05:28 am »
Watching the lefts reaction to the movie “Sound of Freedom”  and now this song tells me that we are definitely hitting their nerves
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 02:15:43 am »
He's damnwell right.

No controversy there.

:yowsa:  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 02:21:39 am »
The offended need to go to a small town and try some shit.  Test it. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 08:42:34 am »
The offended need to go to a small town and try some shit.  Test it.
If they melted down all the statues they've torn down, they couldn't cast a big enough 'set' to pull that off.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 10:50:48 am »
They're mad because they know it's true. That's why these guys stay in the urban areas with Rat leadership and foul their own nests.

Even the burbs don't put up with it for the most part.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 02:11:28 pm »
Kevin Sorbo
@ksorbs
Jason Aldean’s newest single “Try That In A Small Town” is offensive so we won’t play that… up next, WAP by Cardi B
10:21 AM · Jul 19, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2023, 02:12:20 pm »
Kevin Sorbo
@ksorbs
Jason Aldean’s newest single “Try That In A Small Town” is offensive so we won’t play that… up next, WAP by Cardi B
10:21 AM · Jul 19, 2023

Exactly.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2023, 03:01:34 pm »
Watched the video.  I did see anything overtly racist in the lyrics or the video.  Most of the featured protestors were white, and looked to be ANTIFA.

From my city-slicker point of view, it's a "don't try that $h!t"around here" anthem expressing small town values, pride, and resolve.

Many other artists - rap, country, metal, rock - have released songs with similar themes.

Sounds like CMT has gone so woke that it's afraid of its own audience.  CMT is owned by Paramount Global, so, it's probably some New York or LA programming executives making the decision to cancel it.

Once again, corporate media squelches free speech.  This is why large media conglomerates need to be broken up.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2023, 03:07:08 pm »
Watched the video.  I did see anything overtly racist in the lyrics or the video.  Most of the featured protestors were white, and looked to be ANTIFA.

From my city-slicker point of view, it's a "don't try that $h!t"around here" anthem expressing small town values, pride, and resolve.

Many other artists - rap, country, metal, rock - have released songs with similar themes.

Sounds like CMT has gone so woke that it's afraid of its own audience.  CMT is owned by Paramount Global, so, it's probably some New York or LA programming executives making the decision to cancel it.

Once again, corporate media squelches free speech.  This is why large media conglomerates need to be broken up.

:thumbsup:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2023, 03:14:18 pm »
 CMT just pulled a Bud light. 

Know your audience dumb asses.  We all know Country Music has gone to the squirrels but hard core fans know a bullshit move when they see it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 12:45:11 am »
IMHO, Country Music Television just betrayed their big city roots.
They pulled the tree right out of Country.
Yep. CMT is nothing but a repackaged brand extension of MTV, which went "woke" before "woke" was a thing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2023, 12:52:39 am »
Other options to CMT:

CMC-USA
https://www.cmctv.com/cmc-usa/index.htm

The Country Network
https://watch.tcncountry.net/

Heartland
https://www.watchheartlandtv.com/

Music & Memories (this is a UK one so this one has more Celtic stuff)
http://musicandmemories.tv/

RFD-TV (mainly carries the classics)
https://www.rfdtv.com
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2023, 02:01:28 am »
Guess which song is number ONE on iTunes and by now, probably number one on youtube? 
Yeah...

Cancel cancelled.  :silly:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2023, 03:05:50 am »
Guess which song is number ONE on iTunes and by now, probably number one on youtube? 
Yeah...

Cancel cancelled.  :silly:

Stupid Alinsky Marxists think they are just going to target and cancel at whim and that's the end of it.

Now they've created an anthem to unite around.  22222frying pan
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2023, 03:27:42 pm »
CMT just pulled a Bud light. 
Know your audience dumb asses.  We all know Country Music has gone to the squirrels but hard core fans know a bullshit move when they see it.
Indeed.

𝐂𝐢𝐂𝐢
@CiCi_Texas_45
All of the "It's just a beer can" people sure are throwing a temper tantrum over a country song.
#IStandWithJasonAldean
10:42 AM · Jul 21, 2023

Matt Walsh
@MattWalshBlog
Hilarious to hear the media accuse Jason Aldean of writing a song that "promotes violence" when nearly every rap song for the past 30 years has directly and enthusiastically glorified murder, drug dealing, robbery and every other violent crime, and these people say nothing
9:15 PM · Jul 18, 2023

« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 03:37:52 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2023, 06:35:35 pm »
Jason Aldean doubles down on ‘Try That in a Small Town’ amid ‘pro-lynching’ backlash

By Brooke Kato   
July 22, 2023

Country crooner Jason Aldean has doubled down on his “Try That in a Small Town” song amid controversy that has branded him a “racist” and “violent bigot.”

Aldean, 46, addressed the backlash Friday between songs at his packed gig in Cincinnati, Ohio.

“It’s been a long week, and I’ve seen a lot of stuff suggesting I’m this, suggesting I’m that,” he said, eliciting boos from the crowd, according to a snippet posted to Twitter. “I feel like everybody’s entitled to their opinions. You can think something all you want to it doesn’t mean it’s true.”

He continued: “What I am is a proud American. I’m proud to be from here. I love our country. I want to see it restored to what it once was before all this bulls—t started happening to us. I love my country, I love my family, and I will do anything to protect that, I can tell you that right now.”

Aldean’s remarks prompted the riled-up audience to begin chanting “USA” as the singer acknowledged “cancel culture” and how it can “try to ruin your life.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/22/jason-aldean-stands-by-try-that-in-a-small-town-amid-backlash/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2023, 06:35:53 pm »
Stay strong.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2023, 07:12:20 pm »
I have spent a good portion of the last few days watching reactors on Youtube, reacting to this song.... Paying particular attention to black reactors... I have yet to find a single one that doesn't get it... and every one approved the song and its message.

Not a single voice supported the accusation so far. NO ONE thinks it's racist.

Shades of Tom McDonald.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2023, 07:13:17 pm »
I have spent a good portion of the last few days watching reactors on Youtube, reacting to this song.... Paying particular attention to black reactors... I have yet to find a single one that doesn't get it... and every one approved the song and its message.

Not a single voice supported the accusation so far. NO ONE thinks it's racist.

Shades of Tom McDonald.

:thumbsup: