Author Topic: By the Numbers: Record Visa Overstays in 2022  (Read 146 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
By the Numbers: Record Visa Overstays in 2022
« on: July 15, 2023, 03:06:38 pm »
By the Numbers: Record Visa Overstays in 2022

PUBLISHED:  Thu, JUL 6th 2023 @ 8:30 am EDT  by  Jeremy Beck and Lisa Irving

The rate of visitors to the United States overstaying their visas doubled in 2022, according to newly-released government data. We've updated our graphic.

By the Numbers Breakdown:

2.1 million migrants have been released (Jan. 2021-March 2023) after crossing the border illegally.
Total releases are almost certainly higher, but until the government releases the full data, we can't know the exact number.

850,000 visitors overstayed their visas and remained in the country illegally in 2022.

600,000 aliens were estimated to have entered the country illegally without apprehension and blended into the underground workforce that employers exploit as there is no requirement to use the free E-Verify online system to verify work authorization.

Green cards dropped below 800,000/year during 2020 & 2021 due to pandemic restrictions. Data for 2022 has not been released but there is every reason to expect numbers to have returned to the more than 1,000,000 green cards issued annually for the last two decades.

https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/numbers-record-visa-overstays-2022
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson