Author Topic: Trump diverting more donations from PAC to pay for mounting legal fees  (Read 1770 times)

Offline corbe

Trump diverting more donations from PAC to pay for mounting legal fees

by Kaelan Deese, Supreme Court Reporter 
June 25, 2023 11:31 AM

Former President Donald Trump has shifted more funds that were raised for his 2024 presidential campaign into a political action committee set up to pay his personal legal fees.

When Trump started his campaign in November, for every dollar raised online, 99 cents was sent to his campaign, with a penny going toward Save America PAC. But sometime in February, he adjusted the split to send 90% of donations to the campaign and 10% to Save America, according to the New York Times, citing internet archival records.

In response to an inquiry about the diverted funds, Trump spokesman Steven Cheung told the Washington Examiner the changes were made "Because the campaign wants to ensure every dollar donated to President Trump is spent in the most cost-effective manner."

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-diverting-more-donations-from-pac-to-pay-legal-fees
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Were these donations meant for re-election?.....is it legal to use these funds to pay your legal bills?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline corbe

At least his PAC diversions means less $$$ to attack Conservatives.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Were these donations meant for re-election?.....is it legal to use these funds to pay your legal bills?
The next Trump investigation has now been identified.

Offline Kamaji

Provided that the PAC funds are only used to pay for legal expenses that relate to his actions as a federal officeholder, then, at least under federal election law, that should be acceptable.  Source:  https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/making-disbursements/personal-use/

That being said, I rather doubt the contributors of those funds wanted them spent on lawsuits, rather than on the 2024 campaign.

Once again, Trump is treating y'all as suckers.

Offline Hoodat

Trump has been 'quietly diverting' money away from his 2024 re-election campaign: report

Tom Boggioni  |  June 25, 2023, 7:48 AM ET

A slight change in the small print in Donald Trump's online disclosures reveals an increase in the money contributors have been donating to help him win the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nomination is being shifted to help to pay his legal bills.

According to a report from the New York Times, the diversion of funds raises questions about the cash crunch the former president is facing with multiple indictments at the state and federal level with more expected to come.

As the Times' Maggie Haberman and Shane Goldmacher wrote, the "diversion" of campaign cash to his Save America PAC -- which is helping to pay his legal bills among other expenses -- was done with little fanfare.

The report states, "When Mr. Trump kicked off his 2024 campaign in November, for every dollar raised online, 99 cents went to his campaign, and a penny went to Save America," before adding, "But internet archival records show that sometime in February or March, he adjusted that split. Now his campaign’s share has been reduced to 90 percent of donations, and 10 percent goes to Save America."

According to the report, that has meant that approximately $1.5 million was skimmed off to help with his legal woes that could have been used to boost his election prospects.  .  .

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-legal-bills-2661833824/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

If Trump wants help with his legal bills, then he should raise money for that separately from his campaign.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If Trump wants help with his legal bills, then he should raise money for that separately from his campaign.

@Hoodat

I agree.

Assuming,of course,this report is accurate.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I hope any fool stupid enough to send Tumpy money realizes that a lot of it right now is being spent on DeSantis attack ads.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I hope any fool stupid enough to send Tumpy money realizes that a lot of it right now is being spent on DeSantis attack ads.

@catfish1957

Ok,so it's not being wasted.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

Trump the grifter.  How typical. 

Offline kevindavis007

If Trump was truly rich, he would not be doing this.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Kamaji

If Trump was truly rich, he would not be doing this.

How do you think he maintained his wealth, despite the number of losing investment structures?  At every opportunity he grifts to get other people to cover his costs.

Offline kevindavis007

Provided that the PAC funds are only used to pay for legal expenses that relate to his actions as a federal officeholder, then, at least under federal election law, that should be acceptable.  Source:  https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/making-disbursements/personal-use/

That being said, I rather doubt the contributors of those funds wanted them spent on lawsuits, rather than on the 2024 campaign.

Once again, Trump is treating y'all as suckers.

If Trump was truly rich he would not be doing this.

Offline cato potatoe

Shysters gonna scheisse

Offline DefiantMassRINO

First Rule of Finance:  Always user other people's money.

Sooner or later, these money laundering shenanigans will get him in trouble with the IRS and FEC.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline corbe

I can remember when he said he didn't need our $$$ (or votes) because he would self-finance.

Offline Kamaji

If Trump was truly rich he would not be doing this.

How d'ya think a grifter gets rich?  By grifting.

Offline libertybele

I'm not so sure that it is legal, but if people are sending in donations to help with his legal fund, then how would one discern what $$ is appropriated for his defense?

Bottom line, this does not sit well with me; assuming that he is indeed funneling money to help pay for his defense.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline kevindavis007

How do you think he maintained his wealth, despite the number of losing investment structures?  At every opportunity he grifts to get other people to cover his costs.

This is why I don't think he will mount a third-party run. If he is doing this, then he can't afford it unless he mooches another party.

Offline Kamaji

This is why I don't think he will mount a third-party run. If he is doing this, then he can't afford it unless he mooches another party.

I'm sure he can afford it - I don't think he's poor by any stretch of the imagination, and I imagine he could easily afford a $100 million or more campaign from his own funds - I just don't think he has any intention of going seriously out of pocket as long as there are marks around from whom he can get funds.

Offline mountaineer

Shysters gonna scheisse
Heh heh. I see what you did there.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

To be honest, I suspect his supporters don't have an issue with this as they view the lawsuits/indictments as being essentially political anyway.  And they're not really wrong.

He apparently changed the language in his fundraising emails so that this is all legal anyway.

Offline libertybele

I can remember when he said he didn't need our $$$ (or votes) because he would self-finance.

Good. He's never going to get a penny out of me.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I personally don't have an issue with this given the clear political motivation for the prosecutions.  Not sure the FEC views it that way, but that's how I see it.