Author Topic: Trump diverting more donations from PAC to pay for mounting legal fees  (Read 1771 times)

Online libertybele

How do you think he maintained his wealth, despite the number of losing investment structures?  At every opportunity he grifts to get other people to cover his costs.

Though this is older news, he does have a reputation of getting others to cover his costs; that is how he has obtained wealth....

The remarkably troubled recent history of Deutsche Bank, its past money-laundering woes — and the bank’s striking relationship with Trump — are the subjects of this week’s episode. The German bank loaned a cumulative total of around $2.5 billion to Trump projects over the past two decades, and the bank continued writing him nine-figure checks even after he defaulted on a $640 million obligation and sued the bank, blaming it for his failure to pay back the debt.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/trumpinc/episodes/trump-inc-trump-deutsche-bank-its-complicated
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

I personally don't have an issue with this given the clear political motivation for the prosecutions.  Not sure the FEC views it that way, but that's how I see it.

If it's being used to fund the defense against the NYC charges being trotted out by Bragg, it probably would run afoul of the federal rules; however, if it's being used to fund the defense against the federal indictment, then it is probably ok under federal laws because the indictments basically arise out of conduct that should have a sufficiently close nexus to his status as a federal officeholder.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

To be honest, I suspect his supporters don't have an issue with this as they view the lawsuits/indictments as being essentially political anyway.  And they're not really wrong.

We don't and you're right ---- we're happy to fight election interfence from anywhere it comes.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 06:30:47 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Looking at Trumps past history, it is evident the man has never done an honest thing in his life.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline MOD7

• don't always see the Light but I feel the heat
Merged Topics

Online libertybele

Looking at Trumps past history, it is evident the man has never done an honest thing in his life.

He has an inherit ability to connect with people and that has enabled him to finagle his way through life.  That is his "Art of the Deal".  It worked in the corporate world but not so much at the government level. At that level his supposed deals mostly failed. He did make headway with China to a degree. However, they fired back with COVID, though I believe Brandon, the WHO, CDC, Pelosi were a party to.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If it's being used to fund the defense against the NYC charges being trotted out by Bragg, it probably would run afoul of the federal rules; however, if it's being used to fund the defense against the federal indictment, then it is probably ok under federal laws because the indictments basically arise out of conduct that should have a sufficiently close nexus to his status as a federal officeholder.

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm sure he can afford it - I don't think he's poor by any stretch of the imagination, and I imagine he could easily afford a $100 million or more campaign from his own funds - I just don't think he has any intention of going seriously out of pocket as long as there are marks around from whom he can get funds.

@Kamaji

You mean just like the career party creature you are supporting?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Though this is older news, he does have a reputation of getting others to cover his costs; that is how he has obtained wealth....

@libertybele

No,as you know VERY well,he was born into wealth.

That's a big part  of the reason you hate him.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
@libertybele

In the beginning it was a big part of your reason for not liking him. Remember or do I need to quote you again. Far as I can tell, you were about the only one that had problems with his management of his unearned wealth. You also feared he would just withdraw from the election and take the money.

I doubt you can show us where anyone of us have a problem with Trump's wealth. I imagine we do (as I do) have a problem with the subject being wrongly used against us as some sorta de-facto poking stick.

Personally, I laughed at Trump's don't-take-a-salary stance. It was a ploy, something he had a right to but wanted to use it as an election ploy that IMHO hurt other less than billionaire candidates that couldn't afford to use it. It was an honest salary, but skimming to me isn't. This "skimming" on the back of donations to his campaign reeks of desperation and knowing his big mouth may of wrote a check it can't cover.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 08:00:09 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
In the beginning it was a big part of your reason for not liking him. Remember or do I need to quote you again.

Yes,you  do.

Not just in words,in context.

Go for it.

Offline Sighlass

Yes,you  do.

Not just in words,in context.

Go for it.

Already did...

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,503235.msg2854416.html#msg2854416

Right now, the plan from Trump is to save his skin by pardoning himself if re-elected. Nothing else matters.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 08:10:43 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online libertybele

@libertybele

@sneakypete  Let's get a few things straight.  #1 I do not hate Trump.  You keep making that assumption and you are just plain wrong.  #2 He was given a hand up by his father and he did various things with that money -- Deutche bank enters the picture.  They have, a few years back refused to do business with him any longer.  #3 I have stated several times that Trump isn't going to do anything to this country that isn't also going to make him money -- thus; energy independence, deals with China, etc. All good.

Whether you want to see it or not, he's recently gone off the rails.  That's nothing that I have just made up. It's true.  That doesn't mean that I don't think he was a great president, it means his time is over.  It's time for him to step down at his age and pass on the MAGA torch.  He needs to work with someone who he believes is capable of doing that.  He needs to get over that the election was stolen and help set up the GOP for an 8 year or maybe 16 year stretch.  Time doing that would be better spent than whining and putting down conservatives.  That defeats the momentum that he created.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I'm not so sure that it is legal, but if people are sending in donations to help with his legal fund, then how would one discern what $$ is appropriated for his defense?

I think it probably says "up to" the given percentage may go to legal fees.

Online DB

As long as Trump's doners know it, we shouldn't care is my thought.

Online Hoodat

We don't and you're right ---- we're happy to fight election interfence from anywhere it comes.

Too bad you weren't willing to fight it when it actually mattered.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

This is why I don't think he will mount a third-party run. If he is doing this, then he can't afford it unless he mooches another party.

He will not do a third party run for the simple reason that he will want a pardon from a Republican president, and he will likely get assurances that he will have one.

Besides, If Trump cannot win the Republican nomination there would be no reason to believe he can win as a third party candidate.  He would only be a spoiler. His style would be to threaten that for as much as he can get, then acquiesce.

Offline Sighlass

He will not do a third party run for the simple reason that he will want a pardon from a Republican president, and he will likely get assurances that he will have one.

Besides, If Trump cannot win the Republican nomination there would be no reason to believe he can win as a third party candidate.  He would only be a spoiler. His style would be to threaten that for as much as he can get, then acquiesce.

Why didn't I think of that. There is actually incentive for him to behave if he doesn't get the nomination.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Why didn't I think of that. There is actually incentive for him to behave if he doesn't get the nomination.
There may be an incentive for Trump to behave, but we are talking about Trump so I think bellicose pomposity will, ahem, trump any incentive.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

I believe that a lot of states have a sore loser law that prevents failed primary candidates from running third parties.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I believe that a lot of states have a sore loser law that prevents failed primary candidates from running third parties.

He could always run as a write-in candidate if his goal was just to be a spoiler.  But I don't think he'd do that because he'd want that Presidential pardon, and the chances of any elected Dem giving that to him are remote at best.