Author Topic: Updated: submarine exploring Titanic wreckage disappears in Atlantic Ocean: Coast Guard  (Read 17184 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Sad.  Bless those that lost their lives and prayers up for their families.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my county to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online berdie

I am in awe that the rescuers were able to find debris of a small vehicle in an area that large. That's pretty darn impressive.

Hopefully as has already been posted...it was a quick demise for all on board.

Since I had posted earlier that I would have loved to be on one on these "tours" (it pays to be poor) I will say this one strange thing. I hope they got to see a glimpse of the Titanic before they went poof.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
At least it was basically instantaneous, from the sounds of it.

Offline Idiot

I am in awe that the rescuers were able to find debris of a small vehicle in an area that large. That's pretty darn impressive.

Hopefully as has already been posted...it was a quick demise for all on board.

Since I had posted earlier that I would have loved to be on one on these "tours" (it pays to be poor) I will say this one strange thing. I hope they got to see a glimpse of the Titanic before they went poof.
Kind of sounded like they were halfway there when it imploded.  So I doubt they got to "see" the Titanic.  Very, very sad.

I still don't understand why people would pay $250,000 to look through a tiny glass window at the Titanic, when there are wonderful high definition pictures of the wreckage to be found.  Oh well, what do I know.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:14:20 pm by Jack Russell »

Offline Kamaji

Kind of sounded like they were halfway there when it imploded.  So I doubt they got to "see" the Titanic.  Very, very sad.

I still don't understand why people would pay $250,000 to look through a tiny glass window at the Titanic, when there are wonderful high definition pictures of the wreckage to be found.  Oh well, what do I know.

Agreed.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

@Kamaji  recently posted a picture of the dark side of the moon -  bathed in sunlight. Sure saved me a trip.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mountaineer

I still don't understand why people would pay $250,000 to look through a tiny glass window at the Titanic, when there are wonderful high definition pictures of the wreckage to be found.
I've had similar thoughts of the folks who fork over $50,000 or so to climb Mt. Everest, especially after reading Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji  recently posted a picture of the dark side of the moon -  bathed in sunlight. Sure saved me a trip.

Me too!

Offline Kamaji

Titanic sub passengers died instantly in ‘catastrophic implosion’ as wreckage from doomed vessel discovered on ocean floor

By Isabel Keane and Andy Tillett
June 22, 2023

The Titan submersible carrying five tourists, including two billionaires, suffered a “catastrophic implosion” on its trip to view the wreckage of the Titanic, the US Coast Guard announced Thursday.

Debris from the wreckage discovered on the ocean floor Thursday is “consistent with the catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber,” effectively meaning the sub was crushed under the weight of the sea at some point after it lost contact with its surface vessel on Sunday.

US Coast Guard officials said five major pieces of debris from the OceanGate vessel were found 1,600 feet from the 1912 shipwreck.

It is currently unknown what could have caused the implosion or when, as the sub made it’s journey to the ocean floor 12,500ft below.

The Coast Guard added they “don’t have an answer for prospects of recovering the bodies,” pointing out the bottom of the ocean is an incredibly unforgiving environment to both search and recover debris from.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/22/debris-discovered-near-titanic-site-amid-search-for-missing-crew/

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
19-year-old Titan passenger was ‘terrified’ before trip, his aunt says

In the days before the Titan vessel went into the ocean off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, the 19-year-old university student accompanying his father on the expedition expressed hesitation about going, his aunt said Thursday in an interview.

Azmeh Dawood — the older sister of Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood — told NBC News that her nephew, Suleman, informed a relative that he "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the wreckage of the Titanic.

But the 19-year-old ended up going aboard OceanGate's 22-foot submersible because the trip fell over Father's Day weekend and he was eager to please his dad, who was passionate about the lore of the Titanic, according to Azmeh.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/titanic-submersible-shahwood-suleman-family-tragedy-rcna90678
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my county to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Jack wrote:
"I still don't understand why people would pay $250,000 to look through a tiny glass window at the Titanic, when there are wonderful high definition pictures of the wreckage to be found."

To which mountaineer replied:
"I've had similar thoughts of the folks who fork over $50,000 or so to climb Mt. Everest, especially after reading Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air.""

Climbing Mt. Everest has become almost commonplace these days, with whole groups going up at once. And the price of a guided tour @ around $50k is "within reach" of much of the upper-middle-class.

But going down in a submarine to view the actual remains of the Titanic?
Now, THAT's a trip to take once Everest has become passe.

And not many riffraff to worry about, at $250k a pop.

Except... they haven't got all the bugs worked out yet...

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Titanic families slam ‘disgusting’ tours —  shipwreck should be treated as ‘graveyard’
By Natalie O'Neill   
June 22, 2023 3:49pm

Relatives of people aboard the ill-fated Titanic cruise liner, which sank in 1912, say tourist trips to the shipwreck site — like those offered by the missing OceanGate Titan sub —  are “disgusting” and disrespectful to those who perished in the disaster.

The wreckage should be treated like an underwater “graveyard” of the 1,496 who died, not a “Disneyland” for adventure-seeking tourists, the family members told the Daily Beast.

“They died a horribly tragic death. Just leave the bodies resting,” said John Locascio, 69, whose uncles, Alberto and Sebastiano Peracchio, died in the tragedy.

Locascio said his uncles were working as young waiters on the ship in April 1912 when it hit an iceberg and sank.

He called it shameful that OceanGate has been capitalizing on visits to the sacred site.

“I think it’s disgusting, quite honestly,” he said. “What do you want to look at, you want to ogle?”

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/22/titanic-shipwreck-should-not-be-used-for-tours-family-says/

I am assuming John Locascio means his great or great great uncles..           
Support the USO

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
The movie 'Titanic' starring Leo DeCaprio and Kate Winslet was a major hit.  It brought about the fascination of a sunken ship.  I've seen the movie several times but I'm not so fascinated by it's sinking that I would want to go beneath to the depths of water that the wreckage is in.  Historians have been down to the area several times and there have been documentaries about it with very good quality pictures. I fail to see how one could be so fascinated by the wreckage to take such a risk and spend $250k as well.

Let the graveyard be left alone.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Titanic families slam ‘disgusting’ tours —  shipwreck should be treated as ‘graveyard’

The wreckage should be treated like an underwater “graveyard” of the 1,496 who died, not a “Disneyland” for adventure-seeking tourists, the family members told the Daily Beast.

It appears the graveyard inhabitants were able to make the same point on their own, without help from their living relatives.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Why does the Titanic have a cult following but other  ships like the Lusitania and Andrea Doria don’t seem to be as fascinating?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online berdie

Titanic sub passengers died instantly in ‘catastrophic implosion’ as wreckage from doomed vessel discovered on ocean floor

By Isabel Keane and Andy Tillett
June 22, 2023

The Coast Guard added they “don’t have an answer for prospects of recovering the bodies,” pointing out the bottom of the ocean is an incredibly unforgiving environment to both search and recover debris from.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/22/debris-discovered-near-titanic-site-amid-search-for-missing-crew/

As Gordon Lightfoot wrote...Superior (or the ocean) it is said doesn't give up its dead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Why does the Titanic have a cult following but other  ships like the Lusitania and Andrea Doria don’t seem to be as fascinating?

I dunno.  The folks following the Edmund Fitzgerald agree.  Maybe I notice because at the time it was a local story for me.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

I think the main thing is that the Titanic was advertised as unsinkable, but didn't survive one voyage.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@Gefn

Here is a tidbit.

The lures and dangers of diving to the Andrea Doria

Around 50 people lost their lives when the Italian ocean liner Andrea Doria collided with another ship off the coast of Nantucket on July 25, 1956. But since then, as many as 16 people have died diving down to the wreck of the luxury vessel.

Snip

The allure of the Andrea Doria is its artifacts, such as the ship’s china, that divers can find and keep, according to Crowell.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2017/08/02/the-lures-and-dangers-of-diving-to-the-andrea-doria/

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Gefn

One BIG movie.

Although,I confess that I would love to hear and see more about the Lusitania  and the Andrea Doria.

Come from a family of ocean fishermen,and even did some of it myself. My first job was as a deckhand on my uncle's 38 foot shrimp  boat. I was 13.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online berdie

By Natalie O'Neill   
June 22, 2023 3:49pm

Relatives of people aboard the ill-fated Titanic cruise liner, which sank in 1912, say tourist trips to the shipwreck site — like those offered by the missing OceanGate Titan sub —  are “disgusting” and disrespectful to those who perished in the disaster.

“They died a horribly tragic death. Just leave the bodies resting,” said John Locascio, 69, whose uncles, Alberto and Sebastiano Peracchio, died in the tragedy.

Locascio said his uncles were working as young waiters on the ship in April 1912 when it hit an iceberg and sank.

He called it shameful that OceanGate has been capitalizing on visits to the sacred site.

“I think it’s disgusting, quite honestly,” he said. “What do you want to look at, you want to ogle?”

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/22/titanic-shipwreck-should-not-be-used-for-tours-family-says/

I am assuming John Locascio means his great or great great uncles..         

So what does he say about the artifacts that have been retrieved and made into a traveling exhibit? I've been to the one that toured here several years ago...it wasn't cheap. And super interesting.

Yes, it is a graveyard. But people go everyday to put flowers on their loved one's grave. Historians go to old graveyards and take pictures of the headstones. This was a historic event. So I don't buy the graveyard defense anymore than I buy that it is wrong to go to any graveyard.

As I said...I would have loved to see what is left of the Titanic. I might have entertained the idea of Everest at one time. Or space. But sadly, I'm too tired , infirm and broke, lol.