Author Topic: Updated: submarine exploring Titanic wreckage disappears in Atlantic Ocean: Coast Guard  (Read 16953 times)

Offline berdie

A look inside.

https://twitter.com/HowThingsWork_/status/1671869099691974657

If I understand...this sub has been down to the Titanic a couple of times. What went wrong this time?

Just for the record..I don't think this was a diversionary tactic for Hunter. I think there is a large section of the population that don't know who he is or why he needs any diversion. :laugh:

It has much more to do with our media and ratings. Think about hurricane coverage, kids trapped in caves and Baby Jessica.

Online DB

If I understand...this sub has been down to the Titanic a couple of times. What went wrong this time?

Just for the record..I don't think this was a diversionary tactic for Hunter. I think there is a large section of the population that don't know who he is or why he needs any diversion. :laugh:

It has much more to do with our media and ratings. Think about hurricane coverage, kids trapped in caves and Baby Jessica.

Repeated dives under extreme pressures cause small deformations and fatigue in the materials used. Once the failure threshold is reached - it is total failure. There is no in between.

Offline Idiot

Read the ‘iron-clad’ death waiver that doomed Titanic sub tourists signed

By Marjorie Hernandez
June 23, 2023

The five passengers who boarded the doomed OceanGate Titan submersible that imploded on its way to the wreck of the Titanic signed an iron-clad agreement that protects the company from any liability for what could happen to the vessel, including death.

The three-page document spells out the risks that passengers take when riding in the 23,000-pound Titan, including eye-popping wording such as how the craft “has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body and may be constructed of materials that have not been widely used on human occupied submersible.”

The vessel suffered a “catastrophic implosion” during its descent, instantly killing all five passengers aboard, according to the US Coast Guard, which is heading the recovery operation to bring debris from the Titan to the surface and figure out what went wrong.

The document, which was provided to a passenger last summer, also states that the signer would “assume full responsibility for the risk of bodily injury, disability, death and property damage due to the negligence of [OceanGate] while involved in the operation,” according to TMZ, which was first to publish it.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/23/read-the-death-waiver-doomed-titanic-sub-tourists-signed/

The waiver is at the linked source
No such thing as an iron clad agreement.  Ask any attorney, ANYTHING can be litigated.

Offline corbe

I was unaware that the vessel had EVER been to the Titanic @berdie   I thought it only has been tested at the 3200 mark.  Titanic being another 1K down.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

One trip too many @berdie Every time that vessel made the trip it was subjected to and then released from the pressures encountered on the way up and down and this time something broke.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

The middle of the tube furthest from the titanium round ends has to remain perfectly round while under huge external forces or it collapses. Once it deforms even slightly - it is over.

I can see that... Toilet paper roll... though you would think it can be buttressed by the flanges at both ends (to some degree) and ribbing, if not bulkheads.

Still, the pressure is phenomenal. I would be uncomfortable with something rigid flanged to something flexible regardless of ribbing... and that without mentioning the viewing ports...

I would think it would fail at the gaskets, as such things do - I have zero experience with submarines and high pressure environment, but I know hydraulics, at least practically, and that's sorta the same thing in the inverse.

Online mountaineer

FULL TIMELINE: Here is what the Biden Admin said publicly about the missing sub compared to when they learned Titan was lost
    by: Libby Emmons 06/23/2023

A tragedy unfolded this week before the eyes of the world. A deep sea submersible, the 5-person Titan, descended to the ocean floor on Sunday to view the 111-year-old wreck of the Titanic. The timeline of what was known when, as revealed in the press and that which was known in official channels, however, were two entirely different things.

Despite knowing that the craft was lost on Sunday, the government narrative persisted in telling the story of a search and rescue, allowing for hope and optimism even after the tragedy, and the loss of five lives, was known to the Biden administration.  ...

(On Tuesday, two days after the USN and USCG knew the sub had imploded:) Kirby gave hope that survivors would be found.

"All of us, including the president express our thoughts to the crew on board, as well as to the no doubt worried family members back on shore — and we're just gonna, we're gonna keep looking, keep the search going," he said.

The Biden administration and the Coast Guard continued to give press the impression that a rescue was possible, despite having learned from the Navy that there had been an explosion.
The coordinates for that explosion, given by the Navy to the Coast Guard, were what guided the Coast Guard's search.  ...
Human Events
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

I was unaware that the vessel had EVER been to the Titanic @berdie   I thought it only has been tested at the 3200 mark.  Titanic being another 1K down.

Well, @corbe I only listened to a video that was posted. I can't say that I have researched it. It could/couldn't be fact. :shrug:

Offline berdie

@DB @Bigun

That makes sense.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Does the waiver hold if it turns out the submarine company was negligent in the construction or maintenance of the submersible??
I would be more concerned if the waiver is valid if the next of kin never agreed to it. They're not the ones who signed away anything.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline corbe

Titanic missing sub: Implosion could only have been caused by engineering flaw, deep-sea pilot says

by Brady Knox, Breaking News Reporter 
June 23, 2023 04:55 PM

The tourist submarine that is believed to have imploded while surveying the wreck of the Titanic could have only done so due to an engineering flaw, according to an expert deep-sea pilot.

Ofer Ketter, president of the submersible safety company SubMerge and an experienced deep-sea pilot, told Newsweek that the Titan most likely imploded due to the unconventional nature of the hull's material, which degraded over time after repeated trips to the ocean floor.

"In this case of this extreme, catastrophic implosion, there is only one explanation — and that is an engineering fault," Ketter said.

"So that leaves us only with that option: that this specific submersible was just not designed to withstand the pressure that it went down to," Ketter said. "That's only conclusion there is for this scenario."

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/technology/titanic-sub-implosion-engineering-flaw
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Lando Lincoln

It looks air tight to me.

That’s a turn of a phrase, right there.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That’s a turn of a phrase, right there.

Would "Iron clad" have been any better @Lando Lincoln
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Titanic sub rescue was a 'nightmarish, prolonged charade that gave families false hope'

James Cameron, who has visited the wreck of the Titanic over 30 times, said the families of the five passengers on-board The Titan have been given 'false hope' for days
BySusan KnoxSenior Showbiz and TV Reporter

09:32, 23 Jun 2023Updated10:30, 23 Jun 2023

James Cameron has called the missing Titanic submarine search a 'prolonged and nightmarish charade'.

Titanic director and submersible expert James, 68, said he predicted Titan's implosion days before the debris from the missing submersible were found and said that the families of the five passengers on-board have been given 'false hope' for days one end.

Mr Cameron - who has visited the Titanic's shipwreck over 30 times - likened the tragedy this week to the actual Titanic disaster, where the captain repeatedly ignored warnings about an incoming iceberg but still decided to carry on at high speed, leading to thousands of people losing their lives in the water.

After a five day search for the Titan after it went missing on Sunday, the US Coast Guard announced yesterday that the five passengers on board were killed instantly when the submersible suffered a 'catastrophic implosion' just 1,600ft from the bow of the wrecked ocean liner.

more
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/james-cameron-calls-titan-rescue-30303642
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 ‘Titanic’ director James Cameron blames submersible’s carbon-fiber hull for deadly implosion
By Selim Algar   
June 23, 2023 5:44pm

“Titanic” director James Cameron on Friday blamed the carbon fiber composite construction hull of the doomed OceanGate submersible for its tragic implosion this week.

The material likely led to the “critical failure” that claimed the lives of five passengers aboard the minivan-sized craft, Cameron told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos.

“You don’t use composites for vessels that are seeing external pressure,” he said. “They’re great for internal pressure vessels like scuba tanks, for example, but they’re terrible for external pressure.”

Cameron said the submersible’s designers relied on aviation engineering rather than submergence technology — an approach he believes led to the implosion during a tour of Titanic wreckage.

“We all said that it was, you know, a flawed idea and they didn’t go through certification,” he said.

“I think that was a critical failure.”

Cameron argued that carbon fiber accumulates damage with each dive.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/23/james-cameron-blames-titanic-subs-carbon-fiber-hull-for-implosion/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Interesting story

Titanic survivor’s haunting tale resurfaces after Titan sub implosion
By Mary K. Jacob   
June 23, 2023 7:19pm

A harrowing account from Titanic survivor Frank Prentice has resurfaced on social media in the wake of this week’s Titan submersible tragedy.

An assistant storekeeper on the doomed ship, Prentice gave an interview to the BBC in 1979.

He recounted that sorrowful day in April 1912 when the RMS Titanic sank on its maiden voyage from England to America, killing over 1,500 people. There were around 700 survivors.

Prentice, who passed away in 1982 at the age of 93, survived by swimming to a nearby lifeboat.

He recalled that the Titanic seemed to stop as if you were “jamming your brakes on a car” — it was sudden.

“We had a porthole open, and I looked out. The sky was clear, and the stars were shining. Sea was dead calm. And I thought, I couldn’t understand it,” Prentice explained.

“So I came out of my cabin, and I thought I’d go forward, and I went forward to the well deck on the starboard side, and I could see ice on the well deck. There was no sign of an iceberg then, ’cause it passed us. And the lights were shining on the water from the portholes, and there was no sign of damage above waterline.”

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/23/titanic-survivor-frank-prentices-tale-resurfaces-after-titan-sub-implosion/
Support the USO

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I can see that... Toilet paper roll... though you would think it can be buttressed by the flanges at both ends (to some degree) and ribbing, if not bulkheads.

Still, the pressure is phenomenal. I would be uncomfortable with something rigid flanged to something flexible regardless of ribbing... and that without mentioning the viewing ports...

I would think it would fail at the gaskets, as such things do - I have zero experience with submarines and high pressure environment, but I know hydraulics, at least practically, and that's sorta the same thing in the inverse.
Just remember the old parlor trick of standing on an empty beer can until someone tapped it on the side and it collapsed. The loss of strength derived from the shape occurs instantaneously when that shape is deformed, even for an instant.

Of course, as beer cans became thinner and I did not, I became more of a witness than a participant.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 04:16:39 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Just remember the old parlor trick of standing on an empty beer can until someone tapped it on the side and it collapsed. The loss of strength derived from the shape occurs instantaneously when that shape is deformed, even for an instant.

Of course, as beer cans became thinner and I did not, I became more of a witness than a participant.  :laugh:

LOL! That's right. I never have been able to stand on the beer can... Unless it's full of beer. But that's a waste of good beer.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Gefn You are correct. The film version of Walter Lord's book A Night to Remember came out in 1958.

Thank you @Smokin Joe
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
There was also a film from 1953, "Titanic":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_(1953_film)

Not particularly historically-accurate, but still ok.

Online mountaineer

... While the cause of the accident is not yet known, an obvious point of focus is the safety concerns raised by a whistleblower five years ago. Back in 2018, David Lochridge, the former Director of Marine Operations at the sub operator OceanGate, sued the company after allegedly being fired for bringing up safety issues. For the record, Lochridge was not an engineer.

As described by Law and Crime, among Lochridge’s complaints was a concern that the Titan was using a viewport that was only certified to 1,300 meters (4,265 feet). This was a problem because the Titanic wreck is at a depth of 12,400 feet (3,780 meters). In scientific terms, this is what is referred to as “not even close.”  ...

When operating at the limits of human technology, safety and redundancy are of paramount importance. The more that I’ve learned about Ocean Gate and the Titan, the more I’ve been appalled at the lack of concern for safety.

In 2022, CEO Stockton Rush told CBS News, “At some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed. Don’t get in your car. Don’t do anything.”

This is not the attitude that I’d want from the guy building a machine to take me 12,000 feet underwater. Some risk is necessary, but Rush’s attitude makes me think less that his risks were carefully calculated and more that he carelessly disregarded basic safety protocols in building his craft. ...
"The Titan and the Comet," Ordinary Times

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
"The Titan and the Comet," Ordinary Times

In 2022, CEO Stockton Rush told CBS News, “At some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed. Don’t get in your car. Don’t do anything.”

For some men, having a death wish is not enough. They want to take others with them. On the other hand, the only difference between an innovator and a dangerous lunatic is whether your capsule explodes.

Online mountaineer

In other words, if you're going to do this, please do it alone.

Offline corbe

The Sub Story is an Example of Apolitical Fake News

The media creates news at least as often as it reports on it.

June 24, 2023 by Daniel Greenfield

The media took a brief break from its political feeding frenzies to gorge on a generally apolitical tragedy.

The story of the OceanGate sub all but took over the airwaves as the media whipped up suspense over the fate of the people on board. The people on board were however dead and had been all along.

The Navy was aware of that. So were most experts. Even Titanic director James Cameron weighed in with the obvious.

The idea, held up by the media to profit from eyeballs and clicks, that people were sitting somewhere in a stranded sub waiting to be rescued was a lie. And the media knew that it was a lie.

9 times out of 10 a mysterious disappearance is just a death that hasn’t been discovered, but it doesn’t stop the media from generating suspense and promoting a search not because it cares about the people involved, but because it cares about its bottom line. Ideally, for its purposes, the sub would never have been found and then the story could have dragged on forever. Think about Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 or Madeleine McCann.

<..snip..>

https://www.frontpagemag.com/the-sub-story-is-an-example-of-apolitical-fake-news/