Author Topic: Updated: submarine exploring Titanic wreckage disappears in Atlantic Ocean: Coast Guard  (Read 16797 times)

Offline LadyLiberty

I was unaware that the vessel had EVER been to the Titanic @berdie   I thought it only has been tested at the 3200 mark.  Titanic being another 1K down.

It has been reported that this submersible had made "at least" 10 trips to the Titanic.  I also read that some expert said that there was no question that it would eventually fail, it wasn't a matter if "if," but "when."

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The media creates news at least as often as it reports on it.

:yowsa: And kills news just as readily!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Ideally, for its purposes, the sub would never have been found and then the story could have dragged on forever.

Politics works the same way, unfortunately. The worst thing that could happen to the GOP was for Roe v Wade to get decided before the 2020 midterms.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Ideally, for its purposes, the sub would never have been found and then the story could have dragged on forever.

Politics works the same way, unfortunately. The worst thing that could happen to the GOP was for Roe v Wade to get decided before the 2020 midterms.

And Lindsey Graham running to the nearest camera to demand a Federal law to ban all abortions
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

And Lindsey Graham running to the nearest camera to demand a Federal law to ban all abortions

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

In 2022, CEO Stockton Rush told CBS News, “At some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed. Don’t get in your car. Don’t do anything.”

For some men, having a death wish is not enough. They want to take others with them. On the other hand, the only difference between an innovator and a dangerous lunatic is whether your capsule explodes.
Mark Twain would have argued with him. The Danger of Lying in Bed
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Roe was decided in 1973. It's Dobbs that was a political inconvenience, and mainly because the Media grossly misrepresented what the decision meant. Not an end to all abortion, it just kicked the issue back to the several States to regulate or ban.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

He did it to knock off Republican candidates for Congress and the Senate.  That, and starving him of advertising funds, cost Masters the election.  GOPe does NOT want America First Senators!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
June 24, 2023 3:24pm EDT
OceanGate Titanic sub: Royal Canadian Mounted Police not ruling out possible criminal investigation
RCMP Superintendent Kent Osmond says the agency has assembled a team to determine whether to proceed with a criminal investigation into the fatal Titan submersible voyage

By Bradford Betz | Fox News

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police is looking into the circumstances surrounding the fatal voyage of OceanGate Expedition’s Titan submersible to determine whether a criminal investigation is warranted.

RCMP Superintendent Kent Osmond said Saturday a team of investigators had been established to decide whether a full criminal investigation would proceed.

"Such an investigation will proceed only if our examination of the circumstances indicate criminal, federal or provincial laws may have possibly been broken," Osmond said.

The announcement comes two days after rescue teams found a debris field in the search for OceanGate’s missing Titan submersible carrying five men to tour the wreckage of the Titanic. The U.S. Coast Guard confirmed that the vessel had suffered a fatal implosion.

USCG led the initial search and rescue mission, which was a massive international effort that likely cost millions of dollars. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada said Friday it will be investigating the submersible incident.

RCMP has jurisdiction for off-sea deaths but will be working with other agencies that were involved in the search.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/world/oceangate-titanic-sub-royal-canadian-mounted-police-not-ruling-out-possible-criminal-investigation
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fourth dive launched to Titanic sub disaster debris field in mission to recover remains

June 25, 2023 9:36pm EDT
Titan submersible recovery efforts continue with help of remotely operated vehicle
Massachusetts-based company called in to help find Titan submersible continues to assist with recovery efforts

By Greg Wehner | Fox News

Efforts to recover the remains of the Titan submersible that suffered a catastrophic implosion near the Titanic wreckage are currently underway, and as of Sunday, had descended to the seafloor for a fourth dive.

Last Thursday, the U.S. Coast Guard confirmed that a debris field located about 1,600 feet from the wreckage of the Titanic was in fact that of the missing Titan submersible.

The underwater vessel was carrying five men on board when it lost contact with its surface ship about an hour and 45 minutes after descending to the Titanic.

South Wellfleet, Massachusetts-based Pelagic Research Services (PRS) was contacted by OceanGate, the company behind Titan, for use of its remotely operated vehicles, or "ROVs," to assist with the search.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/titan-submersible-recovery-efforts-continue-help-remotely-operated-vehicle

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Kamaji

WADR, why are "we" - whomever that "we" is - going to spend millions and millions more to recover wreckage from this tragedy?  It's reasonably clear what happened, there isn't anything that's intrinsically valuable down there, and there are unlikely to be any significant recoverable human remains, given the physics of an implosion at that depth.

Offline Kamaji

How would you like to be the person sifting through the sub pieces looking for human remains if they recover it?  Ughhhh

Personally, I wouldn't, but there are people whose job it is to do that. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Teen on doomed OceanGate sub hoped to break world record for Rubik’s Cube in depths of ocean
By Allie Griffin   
June 25, 2023 9:05pm

The 19-year-old who perished in the Titan submersible along with his father had hoped to break a world record for solving a Rubik’s Cube in the depths of the ocean.

Sulaiman Dawood brought his Rubik’s Cube with him and his dad grabbed his camera as they boarded the doomed Titanic-bound sub last Sunday, the teen’s devastated mother, Christine Dawood, told the BBC.

“He said, ‘I’m going to solve the Rubik’s Cube 3,700 meters below sea at the Titanic,'” she told the outlet in her first interview since the deaths of her son and husband.

The teen was able to solve the cube puzzle in under 20 seconds and carried it with him everywhere, she added.

The grieving mom said she had originally planned to take the trip to the bottom of the sea with her husband, but the excursion was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

When the opportunity to board the OceanGate submersible arose again, she said, she let her son go instead.

“Then I stepped back and gave them space to set [Sulaiman] up because he really wanted to go,” Christine said.

She and her 17-year-old daughter, Alina, were on the mothership that launched the sub to excitedly see off their husband/father and son/brother on Father’s Day.

“I was really happy for them because both of them, they really wanted to do that for a very long time,” she said.

They were still on the mothership, the Polar Prince, when the team lost communications with the Titan about an hour and 45 minutes after launch.

“I didn’t comprehend at that moment what it meant — and then it just went downhill from there,” Christine told the British publication.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/25/teen-on-titan-sub-brought-rubiks-cube-to-break-world-record/
Support the USO

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
How would you like to be the person sifting through the sub pieces looking for human remains if they recover it?  Ughhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8

Yum.

Online DB

The two titanium end caps likely met in the middle... In milliseconds...

Offline Kamaji

The two titanium end caps likely met in the middle... In milliseconds...

Not necessarily.  If the collapse was longitudinal on the carbon fibre cylinder, then the end caps may have stayed relatively the same, with perhaps a bit of movement toward the common center.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Heartbroken mom who lost husband, son on doomed sub gave her spot to her 19-year-old at the last minute

The woman who lost her husband and teenage son in the imploded Titanic sub said she spent four agonizing days “constantly looking” at the sea — only giving up hope after 96 hours, when she knew they would have run out of oxygen.

Christine Dawood told the BBC that she was initially supposed to be on the doomed dive with her 48-year-old husband, Shahzada — before she “stepped back and gave the space to Sulaiman,” their 19-year-old, Rubik’s Cube-obsessed son.

She instead stayed on the mothership, the Polar Prince, with her 17-year-old daughter, Alina, as the Titan started its mission on Father’s Day.

The mom said she was having a snack when word came through that they “had lost comms,” or communications, with the now-controversial sub that is run by a videogame controller.

“I didn’t comprehend at that moment what it meant – and then it just went downhill from there,” she said, admitting she is “not doing very good” coping with her double loss.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/26/woman-who-lost-husband-and-son-on-titanic-sub-only-gave-up-hope-after-96-hours/
Support the USO

Online DB

Not necessarily.  If the collapse was longitudinal on the carbon fibre cylinder, then the end caps may have stayed relatively the same, with perhaps a bit of movement toward the common center.

That's true. Hopefully the debris field will tell the tale.

Offline mountaineer

When the opportunity to board the OceanGate submersible arose again, she said, she let her son go instead.

“Then I stepped back and gave them space to set [Sulaiman] up because he really wanted to go,” Christine said.
I thought we heard the boy wasn't terribly eager to take the trip, but since it was Fathers Day and his dad really wanted to do it, he went along with it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I thought we heard the boy wasn't terribly eager to take the trip, but since it was Fathers Day and his dad really wanted to do it, he went along with it.

Yes..the aunt had a different story... :shrug:
Support the USO

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't think that was the reason...If they knew there was an implosion the families should have been told instead of constantly reporting the *banging noises* giving all the families false hope for several days....sounds like they were intentionally lying to them.

@mystery-ak

You NEVER declare someone  to  be dead unless you are in possession of the body. There are still US Military members listed as "Missing in Action,PRESUMED dead" all these years after the VN War ended.

Once you declare someone to be officially dead,there are no more searches for them and you have just officially  told their families there is no hope.

Yet,sometimes,on VERY rare occassions,some of these "dead men" come wandering back into life  occasionally.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It was a local news story to me, and I was just getting started radio announcing.  This was months, at least, before the song.   :shrug:

@Cyber Liberty

I have a vague recollection of Gordon Lightfoot's  name being added to list of dead from the Edmund Fitzgerald,in honor of all the attention he  brought  to the sinking and the missing sailors.

There is a plaque listing the names of all the missing/dead on a church in Michigan,but I am not sure if his name was etched there for all time like the missing men,or it was a symbolic thing.

None the less,they DID mention his name,and rang the church bell to honor him when  he died.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Nonsense.

Unless you are a trained submersible designer/manufacturer, you have no means of evaluating whether that submersible was capable of descending to the depths it went to, nor do you have the ability to evaluate the maintenance schedules and logs to discern whether maintenance has been adequate, nor whether there were defects discovered that should concern you.

@Kamaji

So what?

NONE of those people were even close to being retarded and no one MADE them sign up for the dive,which means they HAD to know they were taking a risk,and accepted the risk.

What next,ban automobiles because  hundreds,maybe even thousands of people die each year in auto accidents?

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji

So what?

NONE of those people were even close to being retarded and no one MADE them sign up for the dive,which means they HAD to know they were taking a risk,and accepted the risk.

What next,ban automobiles because  hundreds,maybe even thousands of people die each year in auto accidents?

@sneakypete
In case you're too effed up to google it, automobiles are subject to a very comprehensive set of design and testing criteria, and an auto that doesn't pass those criteria cannot legally be sold.  Wikipedia even has a helpful little article on the U.S. federal standards:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Motor_Vehicle_Safety_Standards

Duh.