Author Topic: Updated: submarine exploring Titanic wreckage disappears in Atlantic Ocean: Coast Guard  (Read 16946 times)

Offline Kamaji

No doubt we'll learn all the gorey details of its manufacture, including reasons why other materials weren't considered, once the inevitable wrongful death suits are filed and litigated.

Online DB

Thinking about it the carbon fiber tube would have to be perfectly round in order for the forces to be balanced across the surface of the tube. If it goes oblong by a tiny amount it quickly fails. The two titanium end caps would keep the ends perfectly round but the center section was unbraced so that it was a completely open space for the passengers. That would seem to be the likely failure mechanism beyond accumulated fatigue causing stress fractures.

Online DB

Not to mention tapping sounds? Put me in, coach!

And supposedly the tapping sounds were every 30 minutes...

Offline Kamaji

Thinking about it the carbon fiber tube would have to be perfectly round in order for the forces to be balanced across the surface of the tube. If it goes oblong by a tiny amount it quickly fails. The two titanium end caps would keep the ends perfectly round but the center section was unbraced so that it was a completely open space for the passengers. That would seem to be the likely failure mechanism beyond accumulated fatigue causing stress fractures.

:thumbsup:

Offline PeteS in CA

No doubt we'll learn all the gorey details of its manufacture, including reasons why other materials weren't considered, once the inevitable wrongful death suits are filed and litigated.

At least one significant factor that attracted submersibles engineers to composites was weight (= buoyancy).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Yeah that was where they erred. If they had just STHU it might have been more forgivable.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe

The tapping sounds could have came from tides flowing  through the Titanic,causing a metal cable or something else to  tap against the hull.

Or even the ground shifting under it.

Or who  knows how may other things?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And supposedly the tapping sounds were every 30 minutes...

@DB

I missed reading about that one. I have no explanation for it other than a human  tapping on metal with a wrench or some  other heavy metal object

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Next time they'll get it right:

Offline Kamaji

Read the ‘iron-clad’ death waiver that doomed Titanic sub tourists signed

By Marjorie Hernandez
June 23, 2023

The five passengers who boarded the doomed OceanGate Titan submersible that imploded on its way to the wreck of the Titanic signed an iron-clad agreement that protects the company from any liability for what could happen to the vessel, including death.

The three-page document spells out the risks that passengers take when riding in the 23,000-pound Titan, including eye-popping wording such as how the craft “has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body and may be constructed of materials that have not been widely used on human occupied submersible.”

The vessel suffered a “catastrophic implosion” during its descent, instantly killing all five passengers aboard, according to the US Coast Guard, which is heading the recovery operation to bring debris from the Titan to the surface and figure out what went wrong.

The document, which was provided to a passenger last summer, also states that the signer would “assume full responsibility for the risk of bodily injury, disability, death and property damage due to the negligence of [OceanGate] while involved in the operation,” according to TMZ, which was first to publish it.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/23/read-the-death-waiver-doomed-titanic-sub-tourists-signed/

The waiver is at the linked source

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Everything needs an escape clause like that. You may die... we don't care.

Offline Kamaji

True.

Offline Kamaji

Structural issues with Titan sub hull could have caused implosion: expert

By Emily Crane
June 23, 2023

Structural issues with the doomed Titan sub’s hull could be among the causes of the “catastrophic implosion” that destroyed the vessel and killed all five people on board in the depths of the Atlantic, an expert told The Post.

Investigators were hunting for clues on Friday as to how and why the OceanGate-owned submersible suddenly fell apart as it was descending toward the wreck of the Titanic this week.

While authorities say it is too early to tell the cause of the deep-sea disaster, one expert pointed to possible failures of the sub’s hull — its main body — as a likely explanation.

Virginia Tech ocean engineering professor Stefano Brizzolara suggested the sub’s pressure hull could have had a defect that may have fractured under the pressure and sparked an implosion.

“It is difficult to say what caused the structural failure in this case, but any small material and geometric imperfection, misalignment of connection flanges, tightening torque of bolted connection may have started the structural collapse,” Brizzolara said.

The Titan’s hull was constructed from two different materials: carbon fiber-reinforced plastic and titanium.

Brizzolara said the carbon fiber element is “very prone to possible defects” and that it “exhibits a more fragile behavior” than other materials — meaning that when it fails, it can break into small fragments.

The expert said the Titan’s repeated voyages down to the wreckage of the ocean liner may have also caused the hull to “deform and shrink.”

“These repeated deformation cycles may have started some material defects in the [carbon reinforced plastic] or some permanent deformations or misalignment between the two parts of the hull that were built with two different materials, which deform in a different way,” he said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/23/structural-issues-with-titan-sub-hull-could-have-caused-implosion-expert/

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Nah, you don't say?
I thought it was a Kraken that got them...
Carbon fiber's strength is in tension, not compression.
Let's not forget that egoistic CEO bragging about hiring DEI types and young kids vs. experienced submariners/designers (aka "50 year old white guys").
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Read the ‘iron-clad’ death waiver that doomed Titanic sub tourists signed

By Marjorie Hernandez
June 23, 2023

. . .

The waiver is at the linked source

Does the waiver hold if it turns out the submarine company was negligent in the construction or maintenance of the submersible??
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

Brizzolara said the carbon fiber element is “very prone to possible defects” and that it “exhibits a more fragile behavior” than other materials — meaning that when it fails, it can break into small fragments.

I can testify... When carbon fiber fails under load, it shatters.

I would think that it would derive extra strength from being part of the radius at the ends... But a tube  does not have inherent strength... And there's a point about mating two different materials under pressure - Materials with much different reaction to that pressure.

Online DB

Does the waiver hold if it turns out the submarine company was negligent in the construction or maintenance of the submersible??

We're going to find out...

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Given this (Copied from @Kamaji above):“has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body and may be constructed of materials that have not been widely used on human occupied submersible.” I would say that the answer is very likely Yes.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DB

I can testify... When carbon fiber fails under load, it shatters.

I would think that it would derive extra strength from being part of the radius at the ends... But a tube  does not have inherent strength... And there's a point about mating two different materials under pressure - Materials with much different reaction to that pressure.

The middle of the tube furthest from the titanium round ends has to remain perfectly round while under huge external forces or it collapses. Once it deforms even slightly - it is over.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Given this (Copied from @Kamaji above):“has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body and may be constructed of materials that have not been widely used on human occupied submersible.” I would say that the answer is very likely Yes.

Could he be said to have been defrauding them if he said it was safe? 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm wonderin' how much in assets OceanGate Expeditions has left to sue...?

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Here's a link to the full waiver:

https://dam.tmz.com/document/b1/o/2023/06/22/b106a285e72448c3a7aef771402ffff0.pdf

It looks air tight to me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Well,if THEY don't  care,why should you?