Author Topic: VERDICT returned in E. Jean Carroll defamation case v. Donald Trump  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: VERDICT returned in E. Jean Carroll defamation case v. Donald Trump
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2023, 03:20:07 pm »
Is there any reason why Trump did not defend himself, with so much on the line?  The jury was allowed to draw a negative inference in light of his absence.  I bet his attorneys concluded Trump would make it worse for himself … just a nightmare client.   At this point, he’s the courtroom version of the Washington Generals.

Trump absolutely makes it worse for himself. Remember when he was President?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2023, 03:34:05 pm »
Is there any reason why Trump did not defend himself, with so much on the line?  The jury was allowed to draw a negative inference in light of his absence.  I bet his attorneys concluded Trump would make it worse for himself … just a nightmare client.   At this point, he’s the courtroom version of the Washington Generals.

Most likely because, if he had gotten on the stand to testify, the plaintiff's attorneys would have been given the opportunity to cross-examine him and, in particular, to ask him all sorts of impertinent, but colorable, questions to impeach his credibility.  Recall how he went off on the journalist who was asking him questions he didn't like; now imagine that but with questions that are orders of magnitude more offensive, and consider how Trump would have reacted.  He would have totally lost it and gotten extremely angry on the stand, and would have done serious damage to his case.

His failure to testify was almost certainly used against him - it was a civil case, so a jury is allowed to draw negative inferences from the defendant's failure to testify on his own behalf - but I think it was a Catch-22, because the consequences of having him testify would probably have been worse.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2023, 03:54:27 pm »
Most likely because, if he had gotten on the stand to testify, the plaintiff's attorneys would have been given the opportunity to cross-examine him and, in particular, to ask him all sorts of impertinent, but colorable, questions to impeach his credibility.  Recall how he went off on the journalist who was asking him questions he didn't like; now imagine that but with questions that are orders of magnitude more offensive, and consider how Trump would have reacted.  He would have totally lost it and gotten extremely angry on the stand, and would have done serious damage to his case.

His failure to testify was almost certainly used against him - it was a civil case, so a jury is allowed to draw negative inferences from the defendant's failure to testify on his own behalf - but I think it was a Catch-22, because the consequences of having him testify would probably have been worse.

Endless legal harassment is not fair to anyone. Trump included.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2023, 04:00:00 pm »
@berdie perhaps you will be kind enough to explain how it is that a lawsuit in ANY civil matter can be filed thirty years or more after an alleged wrong.  I'm serious as a heart attack.

I don't have a clue @Bigun  so I'll rely on @Kamaji 's response.

It still doesn't seem fair, does it? :laugh:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2023, 04:06:57 pm »

However one wants to characterize it, the fact is that Trump is particularly prone to being his own worst enemy, and getting up on the stand exposes one to a lot of crap as a matter of course because not only can you be questioned about the facts - what happened - you can also be questioned about things that tend to reflect on your credibility as a witness, and those can be much more far-reaching, and have nothing to do with the actual case itself.

In criminal cases I've heard of it called the "dump truck rule" because if the criminal defendant gets up on the stand, the prosecutor has license to come in with just about every bad thing he can dig up on the defendant to impeach the defendant's credibility - he can dump the truckload on him.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2023, 04:45:58 pm »
The lawyers will milk all the billable hours they can get from the appeals and the appeals' appeals.

Meanwhile, there's another crack in Tangerine Mussolini's teflon shield of legal invincibility.

Death by a thousand legal cuts.

////00000////

Will Trump be releasing 5 million dollars of new NFT's?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

• Technical
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2023, 04:53:09 pm »

Agreed, but Trump's mouth makes him a lot of enemies. And if they're motivated enough, this is one way they'll harm you.

But my advice is to speak softly and carry a big stick in this regard.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2023, 05:42:41 pm »
Agreed, but Trump's mouth makes him a lot of enemies.

He has the right to remain silent... But he doesn't have the ability.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2023, 05:46:07 pm »

That applies to a lot of people including me and YOU!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2023, 05:46:35 pm »
They caught the Tater.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2023, 05:48:49 pm »
Former Trump press secretary says harassment was ‘really bad’
Rachel Scully
~3 minutes

Former White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said that she witnessed first-hand former President Trump’s alleged sexual harassment, describing it as “really bad, to the point that I was extremely uncomfortable.”

During an appearance on CNN earlier this week, Grisham detailed the harassment she observed while working under the then-president. She added that she wanted to protect a specific staffer, who she said Trump would frequently take on trips with him.

Grisham also detailed an incident in which Trump called a staffer to come back to “look at her ass.”

“He one time had one of my other deputies bring her back so that they could look at her ass, is what he said to him,” Grisham said. “I sat down and talked to her at one point, asked her if she was uncomfortable.”

“I tried everything I could to ensure she was never alone with him,” she added.

While she noted that Trump would frequently comment on people’s looks and speculate about cosmetic surgery, Grisham said the harassment against the specific staffer was particularly alarming.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3997603-former-trump-press-secretary-says-harassment-was-really-bad/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2023, 05:56:02 pm »
Here they come.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

• Technical
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2023, 05:56:29 pm »
Rachel Scully
~3 minutes

Former White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said that she witnessed first-hand former President Trump’s alleged sexual harassment, describing it as “really bad, to the point that I was extremely uncomfortable.”

During an appearance on CNN earlier this week, Grisham detailed the harassment she observed while working under the then-president. She added that she wanted to protect a specific staffer, who she said Trump would frequently take on trips with him.

Grisham also detailed an incident in which Trump called a staffer to come back to “look at her ass.”

“He one time had one of my other deputies bring her back so that they could look at her ass, is what he said to him,” Grisham said. “I sat down and talked to her at one point, asked her if she was uncomfortable.”

While she noted that Trump would frequently comment on people’s looks and speculate about cosmetic surgery, Grisham said the harassment against the specific staffer was particularly alarming.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3997603-former-trump-press-secretary-says-harassment-was-really-bad/

Hmph... yeah now this kind of stuff. Nobody wants their daughter treated like that.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2023, 06:10:43 pm »
That applies to a lot of people including me and YOU!

That's right @Bigun ... But some more than others...  :whistle: happy77

Online roamer_1

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2023, 06:30:18 pm »
Cyber's one sentence summary:  "Donald Trump fined $5 Million for not raping woman."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2023, 06:38:27 pm »
Hmph... yeah now this kind of stuff. Nobody wants their daughter treated like that.

This is pretty damaging considering it happened while Trump was president -- proof though is needed or others coming forward.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2023, 06:43:05 pm »
This is pretty damaging considering it happened while Trump was president -- proof though is needed or others coming forward.

Agreed.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2023, 06:51:48 pm »

Well, alright... but a grain of salt...

I have been accused of sexual harassment for nothing more than calling a gal 'darlin', which if you are familiar with country folks, is just a natural part of talking to a woman. There ain't a bit of offense in it, anymore than opening the door for a woman. Such things are complimentary and a deference to an unearned respect.

Like with Roy Moore... I will be hard to convince without serious evidence.
Again, this #metoo crap has got to stop... Even if I don't like the guy.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2023, 06:55:43 pm »

I have been accused of sexual harassment for nothing more than calling a gal 'darlin', which if you are familiar with country folks, is just a natural part of talking to a woman. There ain't a bit of offense in it, anymore than opening the door for a woman. Such things are complimentary and a deference to an unearned respect.

Read the story above.  If true - I stress that - it's orders of magnitude worse than just calling someone "Darlin'"

Offline libertybele

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2023, 06:58:35 pm »

Yes, like I said -- there needs to be some kind of proof and that means that others need to come forward and testify what they saw or heard personally -- not just hearsay.  Then it still boils down to his word against theirs unless there are recordings.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2023, 07:03:48 pm »
Everybody who thinks a legit complaint is going to be left hanging for THIRTY FRIGGIN YEARS raise your hand.

Yeah! That's what I thought.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2023, 08:11:37 pm »
Rachel Scully
~3 minutes

more

But why come out with this now? Why not at the time or even immediately after he was voted out of office?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2023, 08:13:47 pm »
So just what Trump said in the "Grabbing the P" testimony was a lie or a distortion?  I didn't hear a denial.... 

I'm all ears, and dying to hear your interpretation.

I’m also curious about what the lie was. Not only did he boast about being able to grab women by the genitals without their consent, he also talked about going up to women and  kissing them and carrying Tic Tacs for that purpose

Some people will defend the indefensible
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 08:14:51 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online roamer_1

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2023, 09:17:06 pm »
Read the story above. If true - I stress that - it's orders of magnitude worse than just calling someone "Darlin'"

Yeah, yeah... Roy Moore all over again. Again. These ***holes have called wolf so many times I don't even sit up in my chair anymore...

I don't like Tumpy... And I wouldn't put it past him... But you can't put such a slander on anybody without some sort of actionable proof.This he said/she said #metoo crap makes for lousy law.