Author Topic: VERDICT returned in E. Jean Carroll defamation case v. Donald Trump  (Read 3308 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: VERDICT returned in E. Jean Carroll defamation case v. Donald Trump
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2023, 09:24:30 pm »
Yes, like I said -- there needs to be some kind of proof and that means that others need to come forward and testify what they saw or heard personally -- not just hearsay.  Then it still boils down to his word against theirs unless there are recordings.

That's right. Actionable proof. Recordings... bastard kids... Shoot, even a hotel room. SOMETHING.

And even at that, how does one defend against a charge made YEARS past? That's the thing that is nonsense. Do you know for a sustainable fact where you were 30 years ago? What EXACTLY you did on any given day? What witnesses could you call forward? What receipts to show your whereabouts?

Everything is so far down the memory hole that without the Blue Dress, NONE of it could be proven. And there ain't a Blue Dress, or they'd have used it long before now.

It's gonna be bullshit.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2023, 09:24:34 pm »
Yeah, yeah... Roy Moore all over again. Again. These ***holes have called wolf so many times I don't even sit up in my chair anymore...

I don't like Tumpy... And I wouldn't put it past him... But you can't put such a slander on anybody without some sort of actionable proof.This he said/she said #metoo crap makes for lousy law.

That's why I emphasized "if true".  At this point, Trump should be suing the speaker for defamation/libel, to force her to divulge the name of this supposed staffer.

If he doesn't however, then that may be a tacit omission that there is more than just smoke and mirrors there.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2023, 09:26:52 pm »
This is pretty damaging considering it happened while Trump was president -- proof though is needed or others coming forward.

This isn't the same lady who claimed that Trump wanted to take his limo to the January 6th with the Secret Service or whatever is it? Because that will change my opinion on this.

Edit: No, that was Cassidy Hutchinson.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2023, 09:30:14 pm »
That's why I emphasized "if true".  At this point, Trump should be suing the speaker for defamation/libel, to force her to divulge the name of this supposed staffer.

If he doesn't however, then that may be a tacit omission that there is more than just smoke and mirrors there.

I realize your emphasis, and that is why I countered: I don't believe a damn word of it without real proof.

And I don't think proof is there... If they had a pot to piss in they'd have thrown it at him long before now.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2023, 09:46:24 pm »
I realize your emphasis, and that is why I countered: I don't believe a damn word of it without real proof.

And I don't think proof is there... If they had a pot to piss in they'd have thrown it at him long before now.

Certainly you would think that they would have gone after Trump while he was campaigning the first time around. :shrug:

Why now??? Other than the DEMS are pulling out all the stops to try and prevent him from running again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2023, 10:43:16 pm »
Certainly you would think that they would have gone after Trump while he was campaigning the first time around. :shrug:

Why now??? Other than the DEMS are pulling out all the stops to try and prevent him from running again.

They’re not trying to stop him from running.  They want him to run; they want him to suck all the oxygen out of the GOP nomination process again and make lots of new enemies.  They also want him damaged in the eyes of the uncommitted voters, so that he is almost certain to lose. 

Basically, they are using him against himself to turn him into an albatross around the GOP’s neck.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2023, 10:43:49 pm »

That's exactly right... And their problem is that they have made him bulletproof.The only thing they have left is to pull the old Tom Delay (or Roy Moore) trick and keep him tied up in court till he can't move forward campaigning.

Mark my words: He will beat the charges, just like Delay did (and Moore did). The trick would be to get elected president in the mean time. And that's a tough row to hoe.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2023, 10:46:24 pm »
They’re not trying to stop him from running.  They want him to run; they want him to suck all the oxygen out of the GOP nomination process again and make lots of new enemies.  They also want him damaged in the eyes of the uncommitted voters, so that he is almost certain to lose. 

Basically, they are using him against himself to turn him into an albatross around the GOP’s neck.

That could be right... But a heady gamble with a DeSantis waiting in the wings...

Offline BellyAche

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2023, 01:17:00 pm »

Indeed, they're waiting for Trump to hang himself. He has a remarkable ability to "shoot himself in the foot"! (I feel very sorry for his campaign people.) His thoughtless comments can easily catch up with him. But I know that true followers like Trump for the bellicosity. As always, time will tell if he has traction with enough voters.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt