Author Topic: Ron DeSantis says it's in 'everybody's interest' to have a cease-fire in Ukraine  (Read 2825 times)

Online libertybele

I didn't quite know where to post this --

Ron DeSantis says it's in 'everybody's interest' to have a cease-fire in Ukraine

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said that it's in the world's interest for a cease-fire to be negotiated in Ukraine.

DeSantis made the comments during a wide-ranging interview with Nikkei Asia on Tuesday while the Florida governor is in Japan on an international trade mission.

In the interview, DeSantis warned that an extended war is possible in Ukraine.

"You don't want to end up in like a [Battle of] Verdun situation, where you just have mass casualties, mass expense and end up with a stalemate," DeSantis said. "It's in everybody's interest to try to get to a place where we can have a cease-fire."

DESANTIS SAYS UKRAINE COMMENTS WERE 'MISCHARACTERIZED'
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks to Iowa voters

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks to Iowa voters (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Over 700,000 people either were killed or hurt during the 302-day Battle of Verdun during World War I.

DeSantis also called out Europe, and Germany in particular, for allegedly not doing enough to help Ukraine.

"The Europeans really need to do more [on Ukraine]. I mean, this is their continent. The U.S. has provided security for them. And yes, Poland – there's some that are doing stuff, and that should be appreciated. But Germany, they're not doing anything," DeSantis said.

"We have foreign policy elites that do things without having a concrete objective in mind," DeSantis added.

DeSantis' comments come after he told Fox News that the United States shouldn't become further involved in Russia's war in Ukraine................

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ron-desantis-says-its-in-everybodys-interest-have-cease-fire-in-ukraine
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

It is in Ukraine's interest for Russia to get the hell out of their country.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Waiting for the Orange God to weigh in.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online corbe

I believe Hes already weighted in saying if he was President he could end the conflict in 24 hours, if my memory serves me correct.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
   I believe Hes already weighted in saying if he was President he could end the conflict in 24 hours, if my memory serves me correct.

Any political party that can't cough up anything better than a treacherous brain-damaged old vulture like Donald Trump or Joe Biden deserves every beating it gets. They don't hardly make them like those two any more - but just to be on the safe side, they should be in prison. A place for the confinement and punishment of persons convicted of crimes, especially felonies.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Now that he’s down nearly 40 points in the polls, Rons new strategy includes copying Trumps positions from a year ago

Offline Wingnut

Why so anxious to deflect from the meatball's latest 180?

Right on que, so, What's up Mrs. Trump Leghumper. 

Right on que, so, What's up Mrs. Trump Leghumper.

Pretty funny question coming from a guy giving tongue baths to a meatball.  000hehehehe

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Both Trump and DeSantis are being deliberately non-specific, and it's annoying.  As President, they can only direct U.S. policy, not wish a certain world into existence.  Rather than saying what they want to happen, they both should be saying specifically how they change U.S. policy to get the results they want to achieve.

Last trial balloon -----

DeSantis changes his tune on Ukraine, calls Putin a 'war criminal'
The Florida governor and potential presidential candidate previously characterized Russia's war in Ukraine as a "territorial dispute," drawing heavy criticism from some Republicans.
NBC News, Mar 22, 2023

WASHINGTON — After having downplayed Russia’s war against Ukraine as a “territorial dispute” in remarks to Fox News, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis changed course in a new interview by calling Russian President Vladimir Putin a “war criminal” who needs to face consequences for his actions.

“I think he is a war criminal,” DeSantis told Piers Morgan in an interview published Wednesday in the New York Post, adding: “I do think that he should be held accountable.”

DeSantis argued that his earlier statement to Fox News host Tucker Carlson had been “mischaracterized” and that his “larger point” was that he doesn’t think Russia can “take over Ukraine” or “threaten NATO” even if the U.S. doesn’t escalate its involvement. He said he wasn’t suggesting Russia’s invasion was justified.

“I think they have the right to that territory,” DeSantis said of Ukraine. “If I could snap my fingers, I’d give it back to Ukraine 100%."

In the Post interview, DeSantis didn’t take a position on the more complicated dispute within the GOP about whether the U.S. should send more military assistance or weapons to Ukraine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/desantis-changes-tune-ukraine-calls-putin-war-criminal-rcna76260

Trump: Preventing World War III   (Video)
Mar 16, 2023

https://mobile.twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1636437581834403860

Online Maj. Bill Martin

In the Post interview, DeSantis didn’t take a position on the more complicated dispute within the GOP about whether the U.S. should send more military assistance or weapons to Ukraine.

Neither has Trump.  They've both fallen short by simply hinting as to what actions they would take as President rather than stating it clearly and unambiguously.

Offline Hoodat

Trump: Preventing World War III   (Video)
Mar 16, 2023

Straight out of the Neville Chamberlain playbook.  Czechoslovakia Ukraine surrenders up some resource-rich land to appease an aggressor, and a World War is averted.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Neither has Trump.  They've both fallen short by simply hinting as to what actions they would take as President rather than stating it clearly and unambiguously.

How dare you apply the same standard to Trump that his supporters are using against that Florida governor who lives rent-free in their heads.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Maj. Bill Martin

How dare you apply the same standard to Trump that his supporters are using against that Florida governor who lives rent-free in their heads.

I don't like how either of them are handling this.  I'm guessing - because that's all we can do - that Trump would simply cut off all military aid to Ukraine.  But he knows that will be unpopular with some voters, so he won't say it out loud.  And I really don't know what DeSantis would actually do.

Not fair that voters have to guess where they both stand on that issue

Offline Hoodat

If one day DeSantis decides to run for President, then at that point his position will matter.  But that day has not arrived yet.  And it is really silly watching Trump getting covered with paint as he tries to trap non-opponent Ron DeSantis in a corner.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Maj. Bill Martin

If one day DeSantis decides to run for President, then at that point his position will matter.  But that day has not arrived yet.  And it is really silly watching Trump getting covered with paint as he tries to trap non-opponent Ron DeSantis in a corner.

Fair enough.  If DeSantis gets specific after announcing, I'll take it back.

That's one reason debates are a good idea - you can either tie someone down to a specific position, or at least make it obvious that they're being deliberately evasive.

Offline LMAO

Fair enough.  If DeSantis gets specific after announcing, I'll take it back.

That's one reason debates are a good idea - you can either tie someone down to a specific position, or at least make it obvious that they're being deliberately evasive.

Yup
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

Maybe so, but right now, Russia is getting its behind kicked, hard.  Also, Ukraine has started its counteroffensive, so insisting on a ceasefire at this point would redound mainly to the benefit of Russia, and be negative for Ukraine.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

No, Ron, it's in Putin's interest to have a ceasefire ... gives Putin more time to conscript more cannon fodder and to acquire more war materiel from China, Iran, and North Korea (the ol' Axis of Evil).

Totalitarian megalomaniacs only sue for peace when they are loosing.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online libertybele

I agree with DeSantis.  It is time to quit throwing billions to Ukraine and drawing down our own munitions to give to them.

Brandon and Zelenskyy are lining their pockets.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The Europeans should be contributing more ... it's their continent and it was their mistake to entrust their energy future to Putin.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online roamer_1

QUESTION:

When is it *NOT* in everyone's interest to cease fire and argue for peace?

DeSantis' words are nearly universally true - So where's the beef?

Offline Kamaji

QUESTION:

When is it *NOT* in everyone's interest to cease fire and argue for peace?

DeSantis' words are nearly universally true - So where's the beef?

At a point in time when a ceasefire would give the edge to an unjustified aggressor/invader as against a justified defender.  I agree that, in context, DeSantis' statement is a nostrum, but the fact is that there are better and worse times for outside parties to insist on a ceasefire.

Online roamer_1

At a point in time when a ceasefire would give the edge to an unjustified aggressor/invader as against a justified defender.  I agree that, in context, DeSantis' statement is a nostrum, but the fact is that there are better and worse times for outside parties to insist on a ceasefire.

I'll disagree emphatically. Stopping and talking about it is always preferred in war. There is no disadvantage. Nothing says the participants must agree. Nothing says which way the talks will go, or that either side will succumb to leverage....

But that is not the matter - Your bolded statement, "I agree that, in context, DeSantis' statement is a nostrum" is the point: That something so true (off-the-cuff, nearly said in passing), has raised debate is weird to me.