Author Topic: Ron DeSantis says it's in 'everybody's interest' to have a cease-fire in Ukraine  (Read 2764 times)

Online DefiantMassRINO

A ceasefire would give Putin an opportunity to reload his quiver for the next offensive.

If Putin wants peace, he can withdraw Russian forces and pro-Russion militias from Ukraine at any time.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

I'll disagree emphatically. Stopping and talking about it is always preferred in war. There is no disadvantage. Nothing says the participants must agree. Nothing says which way the talks will go, or that either side will succumb to leverage....

But that is not the matter - Your bolded statement, "I agree that, in context, DeSantis' statement is a nostrum" is the point: That something so true (off-the-cuff, nearly said in passing), has raised debate is weird to me.

Not if it happens in the middle of a repulse of the invader, causes the defender to lose momentum, and gives the invader/aggressor the ability to recover and dig in.

It is not "so clearly true" in each and every situation.

A cease-fire right now would most likely have a negative effect on Ukraine and give Russia a chance to dig in.  Not a good idea.  If Ukraine, of its own volition, and without outside interference or pressure, decides to agree to a cease-fire, that's their business, and presumably they are in the best position to evaluate that; but that is one thing, and outside parties putting pressure on Ukraine to give in to a cease-fire is another thing entirely.

Online roamer_1

Not if it happens in the middle of a repulse of the invader, causes the defender to lose momentum, and gives the invader/aggressor the ability to recover and dig in.

It is not "so clearly true" in each and every situation.

A cease-fire right now would most likely have a negative effect on Ukraine and give Russia a chance to dig in.  Not a good idea.  If Ukraine, of its own volition, and without outside interference or pressure, decides to agree to a cease-fire, that's their business, and presumably they are in the best position to evaluate that; but that is one thing, and outside parties putting pressure on Ukraine to give in to a cease-fire is another thing entirely.

You'll note I said 'nearly universal', so I allowed for the statement to be less than cut-and-dried...

And even if 'right now' is implied (which it is not in DeSantis' statement), or outside forces applying pressure is implied ( which again, it is not), a ceasefire could easily also offer a way to construct a diplomatic opportunity for a strategic retreat, saving face for Russia, in what has been a very painful exchange. So even in the 'right now', talks are not unwise.

But yet again, my point is not in that, but rather why people are bagging on DeSantis for such a universally true statement. That was my question.

Online Kamaji

You'll note I said 'nearly universal', so I allowed for the statement to be less than cut-and-dried...

And even if 'right now' is implied (which it is not in DeSantis' statement), or outside forces applying pressure is implied ( which again, it is not), a ceasefire could easily also offer a way to construct a diplomatic opportunity for a strategic retreat, saving face for Russia, in what has been a very painful exchange. So even in the 'right now', talks are not unwise.

But yet again, my point is not in that, but rather why people are bagging on DeSantis for such a universally true statement. That was my question.

I'm not one of those bagging on DeSantis for the remark.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
No, Ron, it's in Putin's interest to have a ceasefire ... gives Putin more time to conscript more cannon fodder and to acquire more war materiel from China, Iran, and North Korea (the ol' Axis of Evil).

Totalitarian megalomaniacs only sue for peace when they are loosing.

It's not our war
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Ditto
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online roamer_1

Sorry if you thought I pointed it at you, as I did not. It was merely an open question, and my answers toward you were not personal.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The question "Which DeSantis should be "bagged on" is the better one.  While the statement may be "universally true",  Ron Desantis has yet to settle on an opinion to use in his campaign for President.   Here are the three possibilities we know of, to date:

1.  Ron's first trial balloon as a (non  888blackhat) candidate for President was presented in a written reply to specific questions from Tucker Carlson. In his reply he came close to actually plagerizing Donald Trump's position, doubting Putin wants to take over Europe or the US, calling Ukraine a border dispute, Europe's concern, and advancing the opinion the money could be better spent at home.  This upset his donors who let him know if they want an America First candidate, they'll back Trump.   So ...

2.  The following week, during his interview with Piers Morgan, DeSantis walked back his reply to Carlson --- claiming his (written) answers were "taken out of context".  He went on to plagerize McCain and Romney by calling Putin a "gas station attendant with nuclear weapons", and assured his donors Putin is indeed hostile to the US and a war criminal who will be punished for his crimes.

Michael Tracey
@mtracey

DeSantis on Putin: "I think he’s got grand ambitions. I think he’s hostile to the US, but... he’s basically a gas station with a bunch of nuclear weapons"

7:09 PM · Mar 22, 2023

3. DeSantis's third, and current,  trial balloon: "give a ceasefire a passing glance" is an attempt at compromise ----- and won't be his last.

Why do I say this?  Because DeSantis has no idea who he is or what he stands for.  Remember what he said before he rewrote his hagiography, erasing his Congressional record?  Well, many do:

"I think what people really need to understand about DeSantis's foreign policy views is he was very hawkish on Russia... He had a foreign policy that aligned much more with somebody like a Mitt Romney." (Video)

https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1635797559594680320

And before that:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 10:47:43 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online libertybele

Quite frankly, I'd rather see a cease fire.

Trump says Putin will 'ultimately' take over all of Ukraine

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHXq6SqNrpo
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

The question "Which DeSantis should be "bagged on" is the better one.  While the statement may be "universally true",  Ron Desantis has yet to settle on an opinion to use in his campaign for President.   Here are the three possibilities we know of, to date:

Funny that, @Right_in_Virginia , because those same positions are mine, simultaneously.

Of course Russia is a threat, at least to our allies - The very purpose of NATO.
Ukraine is a border or regional dispute and largely none of our business.
And ceasefires and peace talks are almost always a good thing.

These things are not mutually exclusive.
Seems some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Offline NavyCanDo

Waiting for the Orange God to weigh in.

He already did, saying he would end the war in 24 hours.  :shrug:
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online libertybele

He already did, saying he would end the war in 24 hours.  :shrug:

Right.  By giving Putin chunks of Ukraine.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Funny that, @Right_in_Virginia , because those same positions are mine, simultaneously.

Sorry, but who cares?  I'm sure my dentist shares your confusion.

But, Desantis needs to choose a direction, a conviction ----- or at least settle on one he can comfortably pretend to believe.

Online libertybele

But, Desantis needs to choose a direction, a conviction ----- or at least settle on one he can comfortably pretend to believe.

Funny .... DeSantis hasn't announced he's even running.

Online roamer_1

Like I said @Right_in_Virginia , the three are not mutually exclusive - With conviction. It's just the sort of position a Conservative would take,

Online Kamaji

Boo-hoo-hoo!  Mean ole DeSantis had better stop threatening the poor widdle orange snowflake.

Offline Hoodat

Putin is a war criminal.  And he should be held accountable for atrocities committed in Ukraine.  He continues unabated to target civilians with military strikes.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-