Author Topic: Is Trump lurching left?  (Read 1136 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Is Trump lurching left?
« on: April 21, 2023, 03:24:47 pm »
Is Trump lurching left?
David Strom

Every time I write about Donald Trump I cringe a bit.

I love you guys, but I take so much crap because I have mixed feelings about him that I wish I could ignore him. But given that he is the frontrunner for the Republican Party nomination for president, that is simply not possible.

So here I go again. Get ready to hit me for being a RINO NeverTrumper who hates Orange and wants the country handed over to the Democrats or something.

I get it. I’m ready. Go for it. I can take it like a man. <cringe>

I’ve been storing up a lot of thoughts over the weeks about Trump’s rather weird strategy this election cycle. I am not going to do a deep dive right now, but let me make an overarching observation: Trump is running, at least at times, as a liberal.

Yep. He is.

There’s a lot of evidence to point at this, although his hating Democrats with a passion tends to fog up our glasses about it. But look at the evidence. Exhibit A is his new position on abortion: it doesn’t matter for the presidency.

That’s new.

more
https://hotair.com/david-strom/2023/04/21/is-trump-lurching-left-n545297
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Is Trump lurching left?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 03:26:11 pm »
Just like Michael Bloomberg.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 03:37:37 pm »
He's a populist, not an ideologue. If he can beat the Dems, I'm fine with it. If Desantis can, great as well.

Go to war with the army you have, not the one you want.  :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 05:06:12 pm »
He IS left, and always has been.
NYC values.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 05:11:22 pm »
Trump is a man of principles.  If you don't like them...he has others.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 05:15:11 pm »
Trump is almost like a circus showman. He goes for the big splash, the glitzy lights and whistles. Sometimes that's conservative, sometimes it's not.

You can't just spitball govt policy based on glam.
The Republic is lost.

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 05:16:58 pm »
Trump is a man of principles.  If you don't like them...he has others.

:laugh:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 05:42:55 pm »

You can't just spitball govt policy based on glam.

Especially with $31 trillion debt and rising, along with inflation and a soft economy
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 06:20:34 pm »
Just like Michael Bloomberg.

Pretty much.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 06:28:17 pm »
Trump is not a principled conservative anything.

Trump selected conservative judges as tribute to the Christian conservative voters that helped him win in 2016.

Trump is a manic, narcisstic, psychopath ... which is perfect for an unprincipled GOP devoted to accumulating power to create a dystopian Christo-fascist nation devoted to worship at the altar of Rambo Jesus?

If not, what is the end game of the Christian conservatives ... after doing away with abortion, contraception, homosexuality, women suffrage, child labor laws, minority rights, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and private enterprise?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 06:47:14 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 06:32:17 pm »

Trump selected conservative judges as tribute to the Christian conservative voters that helped him win in 2016.

Trump is a manic, narcisstic, psychopath ... which is perfect for an unprincipled GOP devoted to accumulating power to create a dystopian Christo-fascist nation devoted to the worship at the altar of Rambo Jesus?

If not, what is the end game of the Christian conservatives ... after doing away with abortion, contraception, homosexuality, women suffrage, child labor laws, minority rights, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and private enterprise?

Trump selected the judicial nominees he did because McConnell, together with the Federalist Society, told him whom to select, and McConnell almost certainly said that he would only go out on a limb and force a vote for a Supreme Court nominee if Trump selected one or more of the nominees on the very short list of possibilities he was presented with.

McConnell certainly must know how to flatter a narcissist when he has to, since Trump more or less followed instructions on the Supreme Court nominees.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 06:37:24 pm »

Trump is a manic, narcisstic, psychopath ... which is perfect for an unprincipled GOP devoted to accumulating power to create a dystopian Christo-fascist nation devoted to the worship at the altar of Rambo Jesus?

UTTERLY RIDICULOUS PAP. The Christian Right is no different than any other Conservative faction = Seeking to preserve what already was. Where this country is going is the direct OPPOSITE of anything Christian.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2023, 06:37:56 pm »
He's a populist, not an ideologue. If he can beat the Dems, I'm fine with it. If Desantis can, great as well.

Go to war with the army you have, not the one you want.  :shrug:

I don't think Trump can beat the DEMS. Too much corruption. I'm surprised that Brandon has lasted this long and he's going to be announcing that he's running for a 2nd term. We'll see what happens. So far it doesn't appear that anything is being done to ensure that another election isn't stolen.

As far as Trump leaning to the left -- he'll do whatever he thinks that will get him another term.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 06:39:28 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 07:01:19 pm »
As documented in the article, Trump can't even do the populist thing lately.  He is siding with Disney, Charlie Crist, and woke A-B.  Trump is high risk and low reward.  We might as well nominate Charlie Baker.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2023, 07:08:11 pm »
Charlie Baker is not Presidential material.  He's stained with the taint of the Big Dig.  He showed as much leadership as a paper clip.

Bill Weld was a far better Republican Governor of Massachusetts than Mitt Romney and Charlie Baker.

Massachusetts Republicans have historically leaned more towards libertarianism.  No Massachusetts Republican has any chance of winning a nationwide GOP Primary.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2023, 07:31:13 pm »
Massachusetts Republicans have historically leaned more towards libertarianism.  No Massachusetts Republican has any chance of winning a nationwide GOP Primary.

What's the difference between a Massachusetts republican and a New York City republican?  Our stupid party will have elevated these $!%#$* four times in a row, as if McCain wasn't lousy enough.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2023, 07:32:10 pm »
As documented in the article, Trump can't even do the populist thing lately. He is siding with Disney, Charlie Crist, and woke A-B. Trump is high risk and low reward.  We might as well nominate Charlie Baker.

Trump is lurching left indeed.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 07:43:12 pm »
New York City and Massachusetts Republicans are cut from the same cloth.

Reagan won by building a coalition among factions within the Republican Party and among conservative Democrats.

Rather than build a national coalition among state or regional Republican factions, today's GOP wants to be a national monolithic ideological party, essentially dominated by the ideological descendents of George Wallace Dixiecrats.

What's the difference between a Massachusetts republican and a New York City republican?  Our stupid party will have elevated these $!%#$* four times in a row, as if McCain wasn't lousy enough.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 07:47:01 pm »

As one who actually lives where libertarianism is really practiced - Namely the West, and the Mountain West more than the rest - NO... Back-east (Northeast) Republicans tend toward liberalism/progressivism.

Mitt Romney (and his Daddy) are straight out of the liberal wing of the Republican party.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2023, 08:00:39 pm »
Mitt Romney is from Michigan.  He made his fortune at Bain Capital in Massachusetts.  Mitt lost a US Senate race to Ted Kennedy in the 1990s.  He represents Utah in the US Senate because that's the only state that will have him.  Mitt Romney will believe whatever he thinks he needs to win election.  Romney was for Romney-care as Governor, and against Romney-care while running for President.  Mitt and Lindsey Graham should have a flip-flop battle on the US Senate floor.

I guess I'm a relic from the days when Bill Weld became Governor in 1990.  He lifted us from the mess created by Mike Dukakis.  His popularity led to two Republicans being elected to the US House from Mass - a real Massachusetts miracle.

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2023, 08:04:23 pm »
Mitt Romney is from Michigan.  He made his fortune at Bain Capital in Massachusetts.  Mitt lost a US Senate race to Ted Kennedy in the 1990s.  He represents Utah in the US Senate because that's the only state that will have him.  Mitt Romney will believe whatever he thinks he needs to win election.  Romney was for Romney-care as Governor, and against Romney-care while running for President.  Mitt and Lindsey Graham should have a flip-flop battle on the US Senate floor.

I guess I'm a relic from the days when Bill Weld became Governor in 1990.  He lifted us from the mess created by Mike Dukakis.  His popularity led to two Republicans being elected to the US House from Mass - a real Massachusetts miracle.

Mitt is just a cocktail party Rockefeller Republican. Never was anything more. Most GOPers from the NE are. But not all.

Worst GOPer ever was Lowell Weicker. Dunno if anyone remember him, but my dad hates him haha!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2023, 08:37:56 pm »
Mitt is just a cocktail party Rockefeller Republican. Never was anything more. Most GOPers from the NE are. But not all.

Worst GOPer ever was Lowell Weicker. Dunno if anyone remember him, but my dad hates him haha!

Weicker was terrible.  Jumpin' Jim Jeffords was not much better, but I do think Weicker even further to the left than was Jeffords.  Amazingly, Weicker is still alive, and lives in France.

Figures.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 08:38:59 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2023, 09:15:39 pm »
So what do people believe the Republican Party should be post Trump?

Is Ron DeSantis the future? I don’t know. Could be any of the Republican governors.

The so-called Reagan Democrats are no more. The Democrat Party during the Reagan era didn’t believe in transitioning kids or defunding police in high crime areas
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2023, 09:23:57 pm »
So what do people believe the Republican Party should be post Trump?

Is Ron DeSantis the future? I don’t know. Could be any of the Republican governors.

The so-called Reagan Democrats are no more. The Democrat Party during the Reagan era didn’t believe in transitioning kids or defunding police in high crime areas

The Republican Party is no more.  What do they truly stand for???  Time and time again they buckle to the DEMS.  That is just one reason why I am no longer a registered Republican. 

Offline LMAO

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2023, 09:31:40 pm »
From the article…

Getting back to the point: his lurch to the Left. His main line of attack on DeSantis is that he is too fiscally conservative, especially regarding entitlements. He also is too aligned with the Establishment, except that Trump endorsed everybody in the Establishment and even helped convince DeSantis to vote for Paul Ryan, whom he thought was too liberal. Trump was the Ryan guy, not DeSantis.

Yup

Barry Goldwater