Author Topic: Is Trump lurching left?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Is Trump lurching left?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2023, 09:41:14 pm »
Ron DeSantis is not the future.  He's a follower, not a leader.  He's a Greg Abbott impersonator and a Trump wannabe.

Trump, for all his faults, was a leader ... until Covid caused him to poop his pants.

At the very least, I hope the Republican Party will become an Americans First party.

For too long, establishment Republicans have been selling out America and Americans to "Free" Trade Globalists for a quick buck.  Our nation is capable of exceptionalist greatness when properly led.

Millions of people are still willing to risk death to have an opporunity to immigrate here.  They still see what media negativity has blinded us to - American Manifest Desitiny.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2023, 09:44:36 pm »
So what do people believe the Republican Party should be post Trump?

Is Ron DeSantis the future? I don’t know. Could be any of the Republican governors.

The so-called Reagan Democrats are no more. The Democrat Party during the Reagan era didn’t believe in transitioning kids or defunding police in high crime areas

I don't think you'd get a single answer to that because people don't agree.  Figuring that stuff out is why you have primaries.

I will say that to the extent Reagan Democrats - which I'd define as less liberal working class whites who aren't tied to organized labor - still exist, a good chunk are probably MAGA Republicans now.   That may be one reason Trump is further to the left in terms of spending than many would like, because Reagan Democrats supported Reagan largely for foreign-policy/patriotic reasons, not necessarily because they believed in a smaller government.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2023, 10:20:40 pm »
I don't think you'd get a single answer to that because people don't agree.  Figuring that stuff out is why you have primaries.

I will say that to the extent Reagan Democrats - which I'd define as less liberal working class whites who aren't tied to organized labor - still exist, a good chunk are probably MAGA Republicans now.   That may be one reason Trump is further to the left in terms of spending than many would like, because Reagan Democrats supported Reagan largely for foreign-policy/patriotic reasons, not necessarily because they believed in a smaller government.

Reagan Democrats are largely within the Christian Right now.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2023, 10:56:52 pm »
Reagan Democrats are largely within the Christian Right now.

Really?  I mean, there was both a Christian right - which voted GOP back then - and Reagan Democrats back in the 80's.   A lot of those Reagan Democrats were Catholic, too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2023, 11:10:05 pm »
Really?  I mean, there was both a Christian right - which voted GOP back then - and Reagan Democrats back in the 80's.   A lot of those Reagan Democrats were Catholic, too.

The Southern Strategy... Most of the South universally converted to Republican or leaning Republican during the Reagan years. Abortion was the hot-button, with an undercurrent of the general decadence invading polite society.

Mr. Reagan invited the Christians to the Conservative table... and it worked... With much higher Republican numbers in the South and Midwest... To a lesser degree in the more libertarian West and Southwest (which largely voted Republican/Libertarian already).

Now the South (and the Midwest) generally votes Republican.

That is not to say that Christians were unrepresented in Conservatism... Until that time, Christian morality was not questioned within political circles... Till liberal feminism drove no fault divorce, and abortion, and the hippie movement drove drugs and fornication into a position that morals required defending in a political way. The crux of that, and the appeal to Christians became the spear point for the Southern Strategy... It's how Reagan won, and Reaganism became the the genesis of modern Conservatism, picking up where Goldwater failed.

That was simply by adding SOCON to the already existing FICON/DEFCON factions within political Conservatism.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2023, 11:22:55 pm »
Or rather... Where Goldwater left off... Goldwater Conservatism didn't have the numbers. Reagan, and the Christians fixed that deficit.