Author Topic: Doctors Accused of Euthanizing Down Syndrome Teen Against Family’s Wishes  (Read 1206 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Doctors Accused of Euthanizing Down Syndrome Teen Against Family’s Wishes
Frank BergmanApril 10, 2023 - 12:57 pm14 Comments

Doctors in Wisconsin have been accused of euthanizing a teenage girl with Down syndrome, against the wishes of her devastated family.

19-year-old Grace Schara died at Appleton’s St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in 2021.

According to the Schara family, Grace had been given a do-not-resuscitate (DNR) order without their knowledge or consent.

She was then given a lethal cocktail of drugs that ended her life.

As Grace started to die in the hospital, the family alleges that doctors refused to resuscitate her and stood by while she passed away.

https://slaynews.com/news/doctors-accused-euthanizing-down-syndrome-teen-against-family-wishes/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wisconsin is one of 5-6 states so liberal I can believe they would try and euthanize someone by sneaking and hiding the intentions of some bureaucrats.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Idiot

Doctors Accused of Euthanizing Down Syndrome Teen Against Family’s Wishes
Frank BergmanApril 10, 2023 - 12:57 pm14 Comments

Doctors in Wisconsin have been accused of euthanizing a teenage girl with Down syndrome, against the wishes of her devastated family.

19-year-old Grace Schara died at Appleton’s St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in 2021.

According to the Schara family, Grace had been given a do-not-resuscitate (DNR) order without their knowledge or consent.

She was then given a lethal cocktail of drugs that ended her life.

As Grace started to die in the hospital, the family alleges that doctors refused to resuscitate her and stood by while she passed away.

https://slaynews.com/news/doctors-accused-euthanizing-down-syndrome-teen-against-family-wishes/
9999hair out0000

Offline LMAO

I’ve been doing this kind of work since 1988. I first was a CNA and went to college and graduated with a degree and have been an RN since 1994. I’ve seen it all

I can tell you that no hospital would put anyone on a DNR status without the consent of the family or the pt without making sure there is a clear understanding what that means

I see this pt was 19, a legal adult. I’ve seen high functioning Down Syndrome people who are able to make decisions for themselves

I’ve also seen many a family member try to override DNR orders that the pt agreed to.

We’re getting only one side of the story here

« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 06:26:08 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Oh Goodie, we're "putting down" people with Down's like they're dogs now.

Welcome to "today's fresh hell 2023".

Disgusting.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Oh Goodie, we're "putting down" people with Down's like they're dogs now.

Welcome to "today's fresh hell 2023".

Disgusting.

Agreed.  Absolutely disgusting and heartbreaking.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I’ve been doing this kind of work since 1988. I first was a CNA and went to college and graduated with a degree and have been an RN since 1994. I’ve seen it all

I can tell you that no hospital would put anyone on a DNR status without the consent of the family or the pt without making sure there is a clear understanding what that means

I see this pt was 19, a legal adult. I’ve seen high functioning Down Syndrome people who are able to make decisions for themselves

I’ve also seen many a family member try to override DNR orders that the pt agreed to.

It's not just a DNR, it says she was given a lethal cocktail. DNR's are not euthanasia.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I'm quite sure that a hospital, as an organization, would never make a deliberate decision to do that.  But I have seen some individual doctors/medical professionals make some very "off" decisions, so we'll have to see if the hospital is standing g by whomever did this,or if it was someone who went rogue.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

It's not just a DNR, it says she was given a lethal cocktail. DNR's are not euthanasia.

We’re still getting the one side of the story.

I’ve seen family members accuse the hospital and doctors of doing all kinds of things to their loved ones.

You would be surprised how often upset family members make accusations

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline mountaineer

SCHARA FAMILY OFFICIALLY FILES LAWSUIT AGAINST CATHOLIC HOSPITAL AND MEDICAL PERSONNEL FOR DEATH OF SPECIAL NEEDS DAUGHTER
Apr 12, 2023, 12:57 ET

APPLETON, Wis., April 12, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, the Schara family announced the official filing of a lawsuit against a Catholic hospital and medical personnel for the death of their daughter. According to the lawsuit, Grace Schara, a 19-year-old with Down Syndrome, died at St. Elizabeth's Hospital (Ascension) after medical personnel administered three drugs that, when given together, are known to hasten severe hypoxia – Precedex, Lorazepam, and Morphine.

Also, according to the complaint, as Grace slipped into acute respiratory failure and Grace's sister begged for help, instead of starting CPR immediately, the nurses refused; Grace's physician had independently designated her as a "Do Not Resuscitate" (DNR). That DNR order was written without the family's consent and in defiance of the Schara family's express wishes that all lifesaving measures be deployed for their daughter with Down Syndrome.

According to the lawsuit (FILED 04-11-2023 Clerk of Circuit Court, Outagamie County, 2023CV000345), because of the lethal cocktail of drugs and the fraudulent DNR order, Grace died on Oct. 13, 2021. ... Press release
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

... Grace Schara died Oct. 13, 2021, after contracting COVID-19 and going to Ascension St. Elizabeth Hospital because of low oxygen levels. The Schara family alleges that, on a day Grace's doctors said she was improving, hospital staff gave Grace a lethal dose of three medications — Precedex, lorazepam and morphine — then refused to resuscitate her after she went into acute respiratory failure.

The family said Grace's doctor had designated her as "do not resuscitate," but said it never approved the order.

The lawsuit complaint alleges Grace "was killed by the negligence and nonconsensual treatment of health care professionals working with or for" Ascension. It says Grace "did not die from COVID-19 and did not have COVID-19 when she died." ... Yahoo

Online berdie

We’re still getting the one side of the story.

I’ve seen family members accuse the hospital and doctors of doing all kinds of things to their loved ones.

You would be surprised how often upset family members make accusations

That is my immediate reaction and I thank you for reinforcing it. Even if she had Downs and 19 yo, how would a hospital "give" a DNR?

Offline mountaineer

That is my immediate reaction and I thank you for reinforcing it. Even if she had Downs and 19 yo, how would a hospital "give" a DNR?
According to one of the articles posted above, The family said Grace's doctor had designated her as "do not resuscitate," but said it never approved the order.

Offline LMAO

According to one of the articles posted above, The family said Grace's doctor had designated her as "do not resuscitate," but said it never approved the order.

Doctors just cannot make a patient a DNR without talking it over with the patient and/or the family

If a patient comes into the hospital without an advance directive, we ask them if they would like more information on obtaining one, if they so desire. We also ask any patient coming in if  they want to be a full code, modified code, or a DNR with a full explanation of what each means

I have never seen in my over 30 years a doctor just make a patient a DNR. That is a clear violation of a patient’s rights.

Barry Goldwater

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Doctors just cannot make a patient a DNR without talking it over with the patient and/or the family

If a patient comes into the hospital without an advance directive, we ask them if they would like more information on obtaining one, if they so desire. We also ask any patient coming in if  they want to be a full code, modified code, or a DNR with a full explanation of what each means

I have never seen in my over 30 years a doctor just make a patient a DNR. That is a clear violation of a patient’s rights.

There is a group of pain management doctors who will not honor a DNR order and they have that clearly posted in several areas in their practice.

Also, there is certain 'verbage' that must be included in a DNR order for even EMS to comply, at least that's what I've been told by a few lawyers around here.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline LMAO

There is a group of pain management doctors who will not honor a DNR order and they have that clearly posted in several areas in their practice.

Also, there is certain 'verbage' that must be included in a DNR order for even EMS to comply, at least that's what I've been told by a few lawyers around here.

There is the “do not resuscitate” orders and then there’s also what’s called a modified code. Some patients will say try to revive me, but don’t put me on a ventilator or tube feeding, for example, and that’s a Mod Code

I hate modified codes. They’re confusing at times

Family members can be worse than the patient’s themselves.

Barry Goldwater

Offline mountaineer

Apparently, they did, figuring a mentally handicapped person was in no position to object.

Offline Polly Ticks

Yes, we had to have a separate, slightly different document for my mom for EMS; otherwise, they would not honor the one we had for everyone else.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline LMAO

Apparently, they did, figuring a mentally handicapped person was in no position to object.

According to who?

This story seems to be incredibly one-sided. And having a disability does not necessarily mean that you can’t make your own decisions.

If, however, the parents version is an accurate account of what happened, heads will roll, because it’s a clear violation of patients rights
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 10:55:59 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline mountaineer

The story is "one-sided, " I suspect,  because if you asked the defendants for comment, they would say they don't want to comment on pending litigation. We all understand we're hearing only the plaintiffs' version of events at this point.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
LMAO,

My real life experience is a bit different than yours.

Re:  My Father

1995, my father was taken by ambulance to the hospital.  He arrested in the ambulance, they defibrillated him.  In the emergency room, he arrested again, and they defibrillated him again.

My father had lung cancer, that metastasized to the esophagus.  He was given two months by AMA pukes.  This was after he wasted one year with these dolt, six months for them to determine he had cancer with exploratory surgery, and another six months doing chemo and radiation.  They gave him a clean bill of health.  Months later, he is diagnosed with metastasized cancer in the esophagus.  They told him they could do nothing from a therapy standpoint, because he was maxed out on chemo and radiation. They told my parents he had two months to live and sent them on their way.

I had him take shark cartilage for two years, and he lived a relatively normal life excluding not being able to eat or drink anything.  He had a feeding tube.  You think he or my Mom told the AMA pukes what they were doing?  Hell no!

But he would cough on his saliva, and occasionally regurgitate the contents of his stomach up.  Nothing went down, but it could come up.  In the mid 90s, shark cartilage was slightly fishy.  After two years, he quit taking the shark cartilage.  One month after quitting, a tumor popped out on his leg.  They surgically removed it, and one more month later he was dead.

Back at the hospital(around 5PM), I sat with my mother and his emergency doctor.  Talking to my mother, I sat in the back ground, this doctor suggested no heroics in regard to my father.  If he arrests again, he suggested that they not defibrillate my father again.  My mother sat there, she agreed, and said, "I do not want my husband to suffer".  He walked off and issued a DNR order.

After he left, I said to my mother, did you understand what he just said to you?  She goes yes, I don't want your father to suffer.  I said, what you agreed to, is that if his heart stops again, they are not going to defibrillate him again, I explained what defibrillate meant.  She goes, I know that is not what he would want.  SHE HAD NO IDEA WHAT THAT DOCTOR WAS SAYING!!!

My mother did not have a high school degree.  Her education ended at 8th grade, due to polio, and she never went back to school, but went to work to help support her family at the ripe age of 14 (Fulltime during WWII).

I told her not to worry, I will let the nurse know there was a miscommunication, or from my view NO COMMUNICATION.  I told her, if the doc calls in, I want to talk to him.  I sent my Mother home to rest, because she was exhausted.   He called in at 9:30PM, and I told him what happened and that I wanted the DNR removed from his chart.  This was Tuesday.

They put my Father in Cardiac Intensive Care, in a draped space right in front of the nurse station where all they had to do is look up and observe him.  They allowed four people in to visit with him during visiting hours.

On Friday, three days later, in the evening, they started COMFORT MEASURES.

What is COMFORT MEASURES?  If you do not know that term, get to know it.  That is the name AMA pukes use for euthanasia.  They systematically increase the morphine a patient receives until their involuntary muscles stop working, and the patient dies.  In my Father's case, it took them until Sunday afternoon before they gave him a dose that caused his death.

In my Father's best friend's case, he made the decision and was dead within one hour.  He went to the hospital for a hairline crack in his elbow, caught pneumonia, and that caused his death, with the assistance of COMFORT MEASURES!

Back to my Father, NO ONE IN THE FAMILY WAS SPOKEN TO REGARDING COMFORT MEASURES.  NO ONE!!!  Even when they did it, I did not realize exactly what they were doing.  I learned at a later time what the process was they used with my Father.

BOTTOMLINE:  An AMA doctor, not understanding his audience, got my mother to agree to a DNR with her not comprehending even slightly what he was asking her to do.  Days later, these same AMA pukes decided on their own to COMFORT MEASURE my Father out of existence.

This happened in 1995, and I am sure the process hasn't changed at all!.  They are killing people without the patient approving said death, or without the approval of the family.  I would bet it happens more often than people would believe.  That is the arrogance of these people. 

I hope the family successfully sues the hospital out of existence.  There is just no reason this should happen.

In 2007, I was a newspaper Publisher.   Went to lunch one day with my Editor, and I was telling him the above story.  Now this is some 12 years after my Father's death.  He could not believe what I was telling him.  He thought I was literally making it up that AMA doctors were practicing euthanasia.  What happened to my Father is happening every day across America to people that are no more wiser than my parents.

It is being done by people that adhere to a limited set of therapies who close their eyes to homeopathic methods of helping patients.  I say it is murder, plain and simple.

Prior to 1914, homeopathic medicine was actually more revered than AMA medicine.  Homeopathic medical schools were every bit as common as AMA medical schools.  What changed?  The AMA gained political influence with Congress, and the homeopathic schools were forced out of existence.  Yes, that is how AMA came to prominence in America.  Today, homeopathy is making a come back.  A come back in a big way!

A client/friend in the early 90s, who had two forms of terminal cancer, educated me on the fact that USA medicine helped 42% of the folks with cancer using cut, burn and poison therapies.  In Germany, their success rate with cancer was 78%, and they used far less chemo and radiation as therapies.  Their approach was more homeopathic.  Our AMA therapies for cancer are a $100 billion industry.  Chemo makes all these pukes a lot of money.  Radiation too. One chemo treatment can cost thousands of dollars.  It cost about $150 - $200 per month to use shark cartilage for a cancer patient.

And shark cartilage, a homeopathic therapy, has a reported 60% success rate, better than anything AMA pukes are using.   In my personal experience, 100% of everyone I got to use shark cartilage has benefited from using it.  Usually it is folks with  weeks or a couple months of life remaining according to the AMA pukes.

I say trust an AMA doctor at your own risk, and be informed and have your family informed, for they will certainly KILL YOU given the chance with COMFORT MEASURES.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:38:37 am by jafo2010 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
WTH?????

These idiots just go ahead and kill someone without  double-checking?

IF the family sues,the doctors had better be VERY happy that *I* am not on the jury.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Thanks  for  pointing out something obvious that I still managed to overlook for some reason.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm quite sure that a hospital, as an organization, would never make a deliberate decision to do that.  But I have seen some individual doctors/medical professionals make some very "off" decisions, so we'll have to see if the hospital is standing g by whomever did this,or if it was someone who went rogue.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I'm not a lawyur and doan play one on tb,but woodin the hospital automatically share the blame?