Author Topic: Trump lashes out at DeSantis, says he regrets his endorsement of him  (Read 19961 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Trump lashes out at DeSantis, says he regrets his endorsement of him
« Reply #400 on: March 22, 2023, 06:31:27 pm »
@roamer_1

It may not be the total answer,depending on WHAT entitlements you are favoring ending,but it would be a start,and we HAVE to start somewhere.

As I said, @sneakypete ... 'without even touching benefits'... Doesn't hurt a damn thing for you, and makes government smaller for me.

That's the thing with taking the axe to over-bloated bureaucracies. Ain't no downside.

In my mind, Fed would get out of Entitlements entirely, as they are the bailiwick of the States, and a mighty hammer used against the states to make them go along with federal designs... That hammer needs to go away.

The exceptions of course being: vets, active duty mil, active and retired federal system employees, all of which are covered under the federal aegis.

But I don't think your federal retirement/disability would be as attractive in the competitive and innovative environment opened up by handing entitlements back to the states.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:32:37 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #401 on: March 22, 2023, 06:33:57 pm »
Please point to one person who is seriously talking about cutting off disabled vets or low-income seniors.

He’s earned those benefits. It’s our way of saying “thank you SneakyPete for your service.” And as far as I’m concerned, my personal opinion is, we can never repay him enough for the sacrifices he made for this country

Whatever political differences, I have with him, I have a deep respect for him and his military service

I’d sit down and have a beer with him any day of the week

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:39:32 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #402 on: March 22, 2023, 06:41:43 pm »

He’s earned those benefits. It’s our way of saying “thank you SneakyPete for your service.” And as far as I’m concerned, my personal opinion is, we can never repay him enough for the sacrifices he made for this country

In fact, to vets damaged/disabled in theater, it is no where near enough.
Two of my very dear friends were Nam vets... and their retirement/disability was meager. A pittance.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #403 on: March 22, 2023, 06:43:27 pm »

Whatever political differences, I have with him, I have a deep respect for him and his military service

:thumbsup:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #404 on: March 22, 2023, 06:48:10 pm »
Two of my very dear friends were Nam vets... and their retirement/disability was meager. A pittance.

To say nothing about the mistreatment they got when they came home

We had an Air Force Base that closed down in the mid-70s in Duluth Minnesota. One of the neighbor boys came back from Vietnam and I remember there was a local party for him. But the vets were overall mistreated by society.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #405 on: March 22, 2023, 07:05:58 pm »

First round's on me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #406 on: March 22, 2023, 07:12:01 pm »
First round's on me!

And second on me.

Yep, I was two years too young to sweat the Nam ping pong lottery.

But....Props to Pete and his gang for their service!!!  The treatment our Nam vets got was one of the biggest disgraces of the past century.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #407 on: March 22, 2023, 07:56:38 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

I have to admit that I never read or even saw those posts.

That's TOS stuff.  But I also read stuff like that during the pandemic.  I mean, it wasn't like Trump was saying "no stimulus", right?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #408 on: March 22, 2023, 08:59:10 pm »
To say nothing about the mistreatment they got when they came home

We had an Air Force Base that closed down in the mid-70s in Duluth Minnesota. One of the neighbor boys came back from Vietnam and I remember there was a local party for him. But the vets were overall mistreated by society.

Not so much here either... Country folks always have sons in the military, and always always welcome their sons back with open arms.  They'd have to stand up at the rodeo at the county fair and get an ovation.

But that don't pay the bills, right?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #409 on: March 22, 2023, 10:52:39 pm »
Please point to one person who is seriously talking about cutting off disabled vets or low-income seniors.

@Kamaji

I am NOT implying they are. I am merely stating there are clearly Dims that would if they could.

Maybe even a few RINO's.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #410 on: March 22, 2023, 10:57:25 pm »

Which one. Entitlement reform?

@LMAO

Yes.

Trump’s position echoes his long-held, albeit unorthodox, conviction that the Republican Party should stay away from attaching themselves to entitlement reform.

That statement is a two-edged sword that can be swung two different ways.

Prior to being elected president, Trump was highly critical of then-Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) for pushing austerity budgets during the Obama years.

That was then,and things have gotten much worse since then. I am hoping he will have changed his mind on this issue.

Or ethanol…

Trump touted support for ethanol, and an executive order he made while in office to allow for year-round sales of 15% ethanol gasoline blend.

Being a fan  and owner of antique  cars  and trucks,I am no  fan  of ethanol,but I just don't see it going away any  time soon,regardless of who is in the WH.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #411 on: March 22, 2023, 11:03:51 pm »
As I said, @sneakypete ... 'without even touching benefits'... Doesn't hurt a damn thing for you, and makes government smaller for me.

That's the thing with taking the axe to over-bloated bureaucracies. Ain't no downside.

In my mind, Fed would get out of Entitlements entirely, as they are the bailiwick of the States, and a mighty hammer used against the states to make them go along with federal designs... That hammer needs to go away.

@roamer_1

I sure can't argue with that.

The exceptions of course being: vets, active duty mil, active and retired federal system employees, all of which are covered under the federal aegis.

But I don't think your federal retirement/disability would be as attractive in the competitive and innovative environment opened up by handing entitlements back to the states.

I am unsure what you mean by that. Do you mean "attractive to the budget cutters"?

I am not so sure of that. The most rabid budget cutters don't seem to  have any limits when it comes to cutting  budgets,because THEIR prime concern is about "What is good for Me,me,ME,DAMMIT?"

They want to pay zero dollars in taxes,regardless of who else it hurts,including national defense.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #412 on: March 22, 2023, 11:05:44 pm »

Veterans benefits are a damn contract.  You served based on the promise that you'd be entitled to those benefits, and you cannot break that promise.  I don't consider those an "entitlement" because they were an earned benefit.

One rung down from that are Social Security and Medicare.  You promised people they could rely on those in their retirement, they planned on it, and so changing that for people who already have retired and are too old is also unreasonable.  The way to make changes to those programs is by reducing benefits to people who have not yet retired, on a sliding scale.

None of those considerations apply to other entitlement programs where people are just given money not for services performed, and not as part of retirement.  Those are the ones that should be reduced the most.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:58:22 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #413 on: March 22, 2023, 11:06:00 pm »

I’d sit down and have a beer with him any day of the week.

@LMAO

Thank you,and I would with you as long as we had an  agreement to not talk politics. Although as a former drunk I no longer drink any beverages with alcohol,I would be happy  to drink tea or coffee while you had your beer.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #414 on: March 22, 2023, 11:25:14 pm »
Veterans benefits are a damn contract.  You served based on the promise that you'd be entitled to those benefits, and you cannot break that promise.  I don't consider those an "entitlement" because they were an earned benefit.

One rung down from that are Social Security and Medicare.  You promised people they could rely on those in their retirement, they planned on it, and so changing that for people who already have retired and are too old is also unreasonable.  The way to make changes those programs n entitlements.

None of those considerations apply to other entitlement programs where people are just given money not for services performed, and not as part of retirement.  Those are the ones that should be reduced the most.

I isn't going to help when the assumed(for now) GOP nominee wants to demagogue the entitlement issue. In an attempt  to get the MAGA votes, I fear  people like DeSantis may end up forced to go full Bernie Sanders on spending

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #415 on: March 22, 2023, 11:30:55 pm »

@roamer_1

When I got out of the army my disability rating was only 10 percent,and that was for an injured back on a parachute jump. That meant I was getting less than 80-some dollars a month (don't remember the exact figures),and that completely cut me out of more than that each week in unemployment because I was considered to be psychically unable to hold a job as a laborer,and those were the only jobs the unemployment geeks were willing to send me out on to interview.

After all,there aren't many jobs open in the civilian sector for "SF Recon Team Leader"

Plus there was the "baby killer" bias widely spread by the left against EVERYBODY that had been in the military.

Even in 1970 there was no way in hell you could even eat for 80 bucks a month,never mind pay rent,but car insurance,etc,etc,etc.

It even kept me from getting a job as a letter carrier with USPS because they claimed I couldn't carry a letter bag.

Things changed rapidly once Agent Orange became a public issue,and I went from being rated at 10 percent disabled,to 70 percent disabled. Which made a HUGE difference in my life.

And I was FAR from being the only VN vet treated this way by state unemployment agents,as well as people in the VA hospitals who kept telling me I had acne all over my torso and just needed to shower more often. That pretty much stopped the day I grabbed a VA clerk by the front of his shirt and dragged him across his desk to explain to him that "Yes,I WILL be seeing a doctor here today". I had driven close to 100 miles one way to get to the VA hospital,and had lost my whole sense of humor about that thing by that time.

Another time I was up there with 3 pulled muscles in my back to see about getting some Valium to deal with the pain,and after standing in the 3rd line to be interviewed by a VA clerk,had the black female clerk look over my shoulder and ask the black guy  standing behine me "May I help  you?" I kinda lost it and told her "Lookie here,bitch. You are either going to help ME next,or YOU are going to be the one that needs to see a bleeping doctor!".

THAT got me into a shrinks office,which got me into a doctor's office.

All this in order to renew a prescription for a bottle of Valiums.

I got a psyc evaluation and upgrade of 10 percent in my disability rating due to that.IIRC,that damn near doubled my disability pay.

I will give the VA shrinks I saw (3 different ones because you never saw the same doc twice at a VA hospital back then) credit for believing me when I told them I wasn't crazy,just pissed off at the VA system.

Even got to keep the extra 10 percent disability! I guess the VA was just covering their asses on that one.

The VA has changed immensely since those days. I recently had two different VA clerks call me at home to help me get registered at a outcare clinic closer to home,and I didn't even ask either to do this. I had applied to the outcare clinic twice and been turned down both times for "reasons" unknown to me,and for some odd reason these two clerks took it upon themselves to make the clinic accept me. They did this,and I have never even seen either of them. I just answsered their questions over the phone.

This would have NEVER happened in the 70's.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #416 on: March 22, 2023, 11:34:32 pm »
Not so much here either... Country folks always have sons in the military, and always always welcome their sons back with open arms.  They'd have to stand up at the rodeo at the county fair and get an ovation.

But that don't pay the bills, right?

@roamer_1

It CAN,because it can get you jobs.

I was actually turned down for jobs and told it was because "You might be one of those psycho Green Beret killers we have all heard about".

No kidding. Try to change somebody's mind that thinks like THAT.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan

Online libertybele

« Reply #418 on: March 23, 2023, 12:04:27 am »
@roamer_1

The VA has changed immensely since those days. I recently had two different VA clerks call me at home to help me get registered at a outcare clinic closer to home,and I didn't even ask either to do this. I had applied to the outcare clinic twice and been turned down both times for "reasons" unknown to me,and for some odd reason these two clerks took it upon themselves to make the clinic accept me. They did this,and I have never even seen either of them. I just answsered their questions over the phone.

This would have NEVER happened in the 70's.

@sneakypete I continue to be amazed when you tell your unbelievable journey and story.

I admire you and most of all I am absolutely thankful for your service.   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

(I know you don't want to hear this, but maybe, just maybe, the odd reason that the two clerks helped you may have been the Good Lord's handiwork.)  Yep, you can cuss me out or find fault, but please don't take offense ... just had to throw in my two cents...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 12:24:21 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #419 on: March 23, 2023, 03:09:34 am »

I am unsure what you mean by that. Do you mean "attractive to the budget cutters"?

I am not so sure of that. The most rabid budget cutters don't seem to  have any limits when it comes to cutting  budgets,because THEIR prime concern is about "What is good for Me,me,ME,DAMMIT?"

They want to pay zero dollars in taxes,regardless of who else it hurts,including national defense.

No, @sneakypete ... The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have efficient, tight management, AND benefits too.

The whole point of federalism (proper authority resting in the states, not the fed) is fifty ways, fifty experiments going at the same time... Rather than a federal dictate to all, that experimentation will provide efficiencies and competition that will winnow through the various states and find the best ways - Far better than what the fed does in its dictatorial way.

And if something doesn't work well, it will be limited to a few states and not everyone.

So it is always better to foster a distributed system.

And states are closer to the bone - closer to their constituents - I guarantee there is a far better chance of controlling bloated administration in the states.

Offline corbe

« Reply #420 on: March 23, 2023, 03:15:09 am »
   There is an apparent small tear in the Space-Time Continuum. 
   Trumpers have been quiet since calling DeSantis gay, yesterday.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #421 on: March 23, 2023, 03:20:07 am »
After all,there aren't many jobs open in the civilian sector for "SF Recon Team Leader"

@sneakypete

Seen the whole thing before... the whole runaround.

Them two fellers that taught me my woods sense were an LRRP team. Ain't spec ops, no doubt, but their tour put them in hand-to-hand forward positions all the time. Quiet long range forward scouts, and some sniper work, I take it.

So they didn't have it easy at home either. One wound up an owner of a welding shop, the other went to ranching... Horses. Neither ever kept a job after the military.

One evened out alright, the other wound up hillbilly way back in the sticks, because he was too jangly for town.

Neither got much help from Uncle Sam.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 03:21:34 am by roamer_1 »

Offline corbe

« Reply #422 on: March 23, 2023, 03:26:55 am »
   When attacking DeSantis no longer juices his base he will promise to release ALL the JFK files or do a Complete UFO dump on FOX, Mark my word.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #423 on: March 23, 2023, 04:04:18 am »
No, @sneakypete ... The two are not mutually exclusive. You can have efficient, tight management, AND benefits too.

The whole point of federalism (proper authority resting in the states, not the fed) is fifty ways, fifty experiments going at the same time... Rather than a federal dictate to all, that experimentation will provide efficiencies and competition that will winnow through the various states and find the best ways - Far better than what the fed does in its dictatorial way.

And if something doesn't work well, it will be limited to a few states and not everyone.

So it is always better to foster a distributed system.

And states are closer to the bone - closer to their constituents - I guarantee there is a far better chance of controlling bloated administration in the states.

@roamer_1

I know and agree with all of that,but that is NOT the way things are working now. We have globalists in charge of our government,and their goal is domination and control,NOT efficiency or freedom.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #424 on: March 23, 2023, 04:05:26 am »
   There is an apparent small tear in the Space-Time Continuum. 
   Trumpers have been quiet since calling DeSantis gay, yesterday.

@corbe

WHO was doing this?