Author Topic: Fewer Than 1/3 of Navy’s Amphibious Ships Are Ready to Deploy  (Read 237 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Fewer Than 1/3 of Navy’s Amphibious Ships Are Ready to Deploy
“We can’t live with that,” Marine commandant says after high-profile missions were delayed or scuttled.
CAITLIN M. KENNEY | MARCH 11, 2023
MARINE CORPS NAVY INDUSTRY

The readiness of the Navy’s amphibious fleet is low—really low, the Marine commandant said.

“I woke up this morning, checked what's the readiness rate. It's 32 [percent]. We can't live with that. We can't live with a 32 percent readiness rate. And over the last decade it’s below 50” percent, Gen. David Berger said Thursday at a Capitol Hill event hosted by the Amphibious Warship Industrial Base Coalition, a lobby group for amphib builders.

The readiness rate is the proportion of ships that can deploy as part of a three-ship amphibious ready group, Maj. Joshua Larson, the commandant’s spokesman, told Defense One.

Over the past decade, the readiness rate of the amphibious fleet has averaged 46 percent, from a high of 55 percent in 2012 to the record low of 39 percent in 2015. It averaged 45 percent last year, Larson said.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2023/03/fewer-13-navys-amphibious-ships-are-ready-deploy/383874/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Fewer Than 1/3 of Navy’s Amphibious Ships Are Ready to Deploy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 04:20:40 pm »
To have that many ready at one time, the Navy must have upgraded their maintenance schedules. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Fewer Than 1/3 of Navy’s Amphibious Ships Are Ready to Deploy
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 08:30:38 pm »
Big deal.

Where would they have to go so quickly they couldn't do the neccessary repairs in time to be there?

Assuming,of course,that they have enough actual combat-capable troops to fill them?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!