Author Topic: The impossible choice facing many of America’s military families  (Read 129 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The impossible choice facing many of America’s military families
By Shannon Razsadin and Besa Pinchotti
 Mar 2, 07:50 PM

Too many military families are in a no-win situation that has put their families’ health and well-being at risk. While addressing military family financial stress, the answer is relatively simple: we must ensure families have the fully funded benefits they’re told they can count on.

Over the last year, there has been an incredible and concerted focus on improving the economic security of service members and their families. Recurring themes like food insecurity, military spouse employment, health care and child care, commissary savings, and affordable housing have formed the nucleus of public perception.

But as our leaders, advocates, and those serving our nation have come to learn: the remedy for securing affordable basic needs is anything but basic.

According to the Department of Defense’s most recent survey of active duty military spouses, one in four have experienced food insecurity, nearly mirroring the food insecurity rate of service members. Military teens report even higher levels of food insecurity in their homes than their parents readily admit.

For the past decade, military spouses have endured an unwavering unemployment rate around 21%. This has presented too many military families with the challenge of trying to make ends meet on a single income. For junior enlisted personnel with families, that can feel nearly impossible.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2023/03/03/the-impossible-choice-facing-many-of-americas-military-families/#:~:text=For%20the%20past%20decade%2C%20military%20spouses%20have%20endured,personnel%20with%20families%2C%20that%20can%20feel%20nearly%20impossible.

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson