Author Topic: California Explores Private Insurance for Immigrants Lacking Legal Status. But Is It Affordable?  (Read 109 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California Explores Private Insurance for Immigrants Lacking Legal Status. But Is It Affordable?
By Rachel Bluth
FEBRUARY 27, 2023

A doctor found cysts in Lilia Becerril’s right breast five years ago, but the 51-year-old lacks health insurance. She said she can’t afford the imaging to find out if they’re cancerous.

Are you covered by Medi-Cal?
We want to hear about your experiences and, with your permission, may incorporate your story into our coverage. Please tell us what it has been like for you as you have sought and received care, including the good and the bad, the obstacles and the successes.

Becerril earns about $52,000 a year at a nonprofit in California’s Central Valley, putting her and her husband, Armando, at more than double the limit to qualify for Medi-Cal, the state’s Medicaid program for people with low incomes and disabilities. Private insurance would cost $1,230 a month in premiums, money needed for their mortgage.

“We’ve been resorting to home remedies to get through the pain,” Becerril said through a Spanish translator. Her husband has needed hernia surgery for 20 years. “It’s frustrating because we pay our taxes, but we can’t reap any of the benefits of where our taxes are going,” she added.

https://khn.org/news/article/covered-california-bill-undocumented-immigrant-health-insurance/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
But for you Americans with legal status, go to hell!! ****slapping
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

But for you Americans with legal status, go to hell!! ****slapping

Exactly.