Author Topic: We Need to Talk About the Right-Wing Attacks on 2024 Candidate Vivek Ramaswamy  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Kamaji

We Need to Talk About the Right-Wing Attacks on 2024 Candidate Vivek Ramaswamy

By Bonchie
February 22, 2023

As RedState reported on Tuesday evening, the Republican race for the White House in 2024 has a new entrant. Wealthy entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, who has made nationalism his chief argument, announced he’s entering the race, which currently contains Donald Trump and Nikki Haley, though many more are likely to get in soon enough.

Here’s what that looked like before we get to the meat of the attacks now being levied against him.

Immediately, despite Ramaswamy obviously being an ideological ally as a nationalist, some on the right (specifically trying to boost Donald Trump) began to spread insinuations about the businessman. One of those is that he’s part of a globalist conspiracy via the World Economic Forum.

So is Ramaswamy actually a shill for the WEF despite having positioned himself as a nationalist, anti-woke crusader during his career? There’s no actual evidence of that, and citing the fact that he was part of the organization’s Young Global Leaders list shows a profound misunderstanding or purposeful misrepresentation of what that means.

Ramaswamy did not sign up to be on that list. As far as I can tell, he never endorsed his joining it either. Rather, anyone can nominate anyone to be chosen, and the list itself is at least ostensibly non-political, being populated by business leaders and those who make a name doing charity work. For example, Tulsi Gabbard has made the list despite spending her time in the public eye fighting foreign interventions and the prospect of global governance.

In the wake of that, the internet lit up with claims Ramaswamy is actually a Soros plant. Is that true? Again, the answer is no. Rather, Ramaswamy was given a scholarship by the Paul and Daisey Soros Foundation back in 2011. Those scholarships are not political and are given to first and second-generation immigrants (Ramaswamy’s parents came from India). Ramaswamy would go on to earn his law degree with that money.

The obvious retort would be that somehow Ramaswamy is beholden to George Soros given he received a scholarship from his brother’s foundation. But that makes little sense given the presidential candidate is now worth $500 million dollars. Somehow, I doubt a scholarship over a decade ago has any influence over him.

Finally, I’d like to point out how hypocritical this is. Donald Trump (and this isn’t a critique but an observation) was deeply embedded in elite circles before he ran for president. He donated to Kamala Harris, went to Chelsea Clinton’s wedding, and had many associations that were no better than those being alleged about Ramaswamy. The right should have consistent standards instead of picking and choosing when to apply these purity tests.

Source:  https://redstate.com/bonchie/2023/02/22/we-need-to-talk-about-the-right-wing-attacks-on-2024-candidate-vivek-ramaswamy-n706973

Offline LMAO

I’ve never heard of this guy, but he will not be the Republican 2024  nominee
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Can Republicans not find even one Natural Born Citizen to run for president in 2024?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Can Republicans not find even one Natural Born Citizen to run for president in 2024?

Since he was born in the U.S., he is a natural born citizen.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Since he was born in the U.S., he is a natural born citizen.

He was born in Cincinati Oho in 1985 but were his parents Citizens at that time? Highly doubtful since they were still in India in 1982.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

He was born in Cincinati Oho in 1985 but were his parents Citizens at that time? Highly doubtful since they were still in India in 1982.

Doesn't matter where his parents were, so long as they were not present in the U.S. under diplomatic auspices.  Birth on U.S. soil makes him a natural born citizen.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Doesn't matter where his parents were, so long as they were not present in the U.S. under diplomatic auspices.  Birth on U.S. soil makes him a natural born citizen.

SCOTUS has never applied the term "natural born citizen" to any other category than “those born in the country of parents who are citizens thereof”

The Venus, 12 U.S. 8 Cranch 253 253 (1814)

The natives or indigenes are those born in the country of parents who are citizens.

Minor v. Happersett , 88 U.S. 162 (1875)

At common law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives or natural-born citizens,

United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649 (1898)

(A)ll children, born in a country of parents who were its citizens, became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

SCOTUS has never applied the term "natural born citizen" to any other category than “those born in the country of parents who are citizens thereof”

The Venus, 12 U.S. 8 Cranch 253 253 (1814)

Minor v. Happersett , 88 U.S. 162 (1875)

United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649 (1898)

They have never limited it to just that narrow range of persons, either.

A person born within the physical jurisdiction of the U.S. is automatically a citizen of the U.S. by birth - he is naturally born a citizen, as opposed to a person for whom citizenship must be granted, or not, by means of legislation.

Ramaswamy was born within the physical jurisdiction of the U.S. and is therefore a natural born citizen of the U.S.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
They have never limited it to just that narrow range of persons, either.

A person born within the physical jurisdiction of the U.S. is automatically a citizen of the U.S. by birth - he is naturally born a citizen, as opposed to a person for whom citizenship must be granted, or not, by means of legislation.

Ramaswamy was born within the physical jurisdiction of the U.S. and is therefore a natural born citizen of the U.S.

Nope! You and I are never going to agree on this. Being a citizen at birth is not the same thing as a NBC.  The framers themselves made a distinction between mere citizenship and NBC in a single sentence of the Constitution:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President;

Was Vivek Ramaswamy a citizen at the time the time the constitution was adopted? No, he wasn't.

Is he a NBC? Highly doubtful.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Nope! You and I are never going to agree on this. Being a citizen at birth is not the same thing as a NBC.  The framers themselves made a distinction between mere citizenship and NBC in a single sentence of the Constitution:

Was Vivek Ramaswamy a citizen at the time the time the constitution was adopted? No, he wasn't.

No doubt we will disagree.  Such is life.  Ramaswamy is a natural born citizen.  The Constitution so decrees in the 14th Amendment.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
No doubt we will disagree.  Such is life.  Ramaswamy is a natural born citizen.  The Constitution so decrees in the 14th Amendment.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.

You seem to have forgotten the part I underlined.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

The framers made a distinction because Washington, Jefferson, and the other founders weren't U.S. citizens by birth.
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline Kamaji

You seem to have forgotten the part I underlined.

The only people who are physically present in the U.S., but are not subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. are diplomats and other recognized agents of a foreign government.  Ramaswamy was neither, and therefore he was subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. at birth.  He was and is a natural born citizen. 

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I don't trust alleged "conservatives" who've graduated from Harvard or Yale ... they tend to be aspirational country club Republican kleptocrats.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline mountaineer

I don't trust alleged "conservatives" who've graduated from Harvard or Yale ... they tend to be aspirational country club Republican kleptocrats.
Nice generalization there. Ramaswamy's Harvard degree is in biology. Then he got a law degree and founded several companies. No word yet on his country club credentials.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I don't care if this guy is "conservative" or not.
If his name is on the ballot, I won't be putting a mark there.

Sorry if you don't like this post.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
I wish Conservatives could learn to spot astroturfing and fake "conservatives".
Let it burn.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I don't care if this guy is "conservative" or not.
If his name is on the ballot, I won't be putting a mark there.

Sorry if you don't like this post.

I have no problem with your post at all @Fishrrman

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline art.prout

When Mr. Ramaswamy (or his agents) show that his parents were naturalized US citizens at the time of his birth in 1985, I will be happy to consider him as a legitimate candidate.

He certainly speaks about a lot of the topics and stances that I favor.

Offline dfwgator

Since they allowed Obama to serve two terms, it's a moot point now.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Vivek will not be the nominee.  He will not best DJT, or DeSantis.  Vivek will be just one more 1 percenter. 

He appears frequently with Tucker Carlson.  I pretty much agree with everything he says.  But there was a day I felt the same about Mike Pence.  I never heard him say anything I did not agree with when he was running with Trump.  But after January 6th, I would not vote Mike Pence dogcatcher!  Hard for a rat to catch dogs!

Vivek needs to crawl before he walks before he runs.  Let Vivek run for a House position, serve in the House for 1-2 terms, and then run for Senate.  Serve there, build a name, pass legislation that is meaningful, and THEN run for POTUS.  Why is it these folks think they can run for POTUS because they are worth millions.  Trump got away with it for two reason.  Virtually everyone in the USA knew who Trump was.  And second, Trump defined issues in 2016 that struck the heart of many people that had been ignored for decades.

Even when the lock was in for Hilary, Trump won for those two reasons and last but not least, Hilary's 'basket of deplorables' comment.  I figure a couple million people might have voted for her right up to that comment, and they changed their minds, not voting or voting for Trump.

Vivek has announced he is running, but he hasn't said one thing that got my attention.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
When Mr. Ramaswamy (or his agents) show that his parents were naturalized US citizens at the time of his birth in 1985, I will be happy to consider him as a legitimate candidate.

:yowsa: I agree totally @art.prout if we don't stand up for the constitution who's going to?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:15:34 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

If a Republican wins the White House, I can see Vival in some important position.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
you run, then.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Kamaji

Since he was born within the physical jurisdiction of the U.S., and his parents weren't ambassadors (or attached to an embassy delegation), he is a natural born citizen.