Author Topic: Just the Facts on Global Hurricanes  (Read 109 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Just the Facts on Global Hurricanes
« on: February 10, 2023, 12:36:13 pm »
Just the Facts on Global Hurricanes
More storms? Fewer but more intense? More landfalls? No, No and No

Roger Pielke Jr.
Jan 18

Note: This post is co-authored with Ryan Maue, an absolutely top notch atmospheric scientist and data wrangler. Give him a follow on Twitter: @RyanMaue and check out his tropical activity tracking page.

Back in 2012, Jessica Weinkle (@Jessica Weinkle), Ryan Maue (@RyanMaue) and I published in the Journal of Climate the first peer-reviewed paper with a comprehensive dataset of global tropical cyclone landfalls. In 2019 we shared an updated version of the data at the request of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) as part of their assessment of tropical cyclones and climate change. That WMO assessment was heavily relied on by the most recent assessment of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Today we share the most recent update, with data on global hurricane landfalls from 1970 to 2022 at the global level, and going back further in time for several of the most active locations for tropical cyclone activity. You won’t find these data anywhere else.

In our 2012 paper we discussed the detection of long-term trends in landfall:

https://rogerpielkejr.substack.com/p/just-the-facts-on-global-hurricanes?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=119454&post_id=97486733&isFreemail=true&utm_medium=email
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson