Author Topic: NBC: ‘Scammers’ Target Would-Be Parolees  (Read 106 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NBC: ‘Scammers’ Target Would-Be Parolees
« on: February 09, 2023, 03:25:21 pm »
NBC: ‘Scammers’ Target Would-Be Parolees
What did the White House think would happen?

By Andrew R. Arthur on February 7, 2023
On February 6, NBC News reported: “Since President Joe Biden rolled out a parole program to accept a limited amount of migrants from Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua and Haiti, an underground industry has been brewing that is ripe for fraud.” “Limited” is a subjective term, but the outlet is otherwise correct that Biden’s (illegal) parole program for nationals of those countries “is ripe for fraud”.

Historical Context. In FY 2022, Border Patrol agents apprehended more than 600,000 illegal migrants at the Southwest border from the four countries to whom Biden’s latest parole program, applies: Venezuela, Nicaragua, Haiti, and Cuba.

The illicit surge in migrants from those countries has continued in the first three months of FY 2023 (October through December 2022), as more than 231,000 nationals of the four were stopped by agents at the U.S.-Mexico line.

To put those numbers into context, in all of FY 2020, nationals of those four countries accounted for fewer than 18,000 Southwest border apprehensions.

Of course, Covid-19 pandemic restrictions impacted international travel — legal and otherwise — during the latter half of FY 2020, from roughly March through September. A much more representative year was FY 2019, when illegal immigration at the Southwest border was so bad that the then-Trump administration declared a “border emergency”.

https://cis.org/Arthur/NBC-Scammers-Target-WouldBe-Parolees
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson