Author Topic: BBC End of Snow: “How climate change threatens to close ski resorts”  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

BBC End of Snow: “How climate change threatens to close ski resorts”
1 day ago Eric Worrall 62 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

Will they ever tire of being wrong?

How climate change threatens to close ski resorts

By Isabelle Gerretsen 25th January 2023

From the Swiss Alps to the Rocky Mountains, ski resorts are grappling with the impacts of climate change. How are they adapting in a warming world?

The Alps experienced record high temperatures over Christmas and New Year, reaching 20.9C (70F) in northwest Switzerland.

“It was exceptionally warm over Christmas and New Year,” says Stephanie Dijkman, director of Anzère tourism. “Nearly all the snow in the village was gone. I was quite worried.” People were unable to ski down to the village, she adds.

Fortunately, it started snowing again in early January, just in time for the arrival of the “real skiing fans” who book their trips outside of the holiday season and are hoping for “very good conditions”, she says.

When temperatures rise, the atmosphere ends up holding more water vapour which leads to more rainfall, says Marie Cavitte, a glaciologist and climate researcher at the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium. “[When] temperatures increase, [water vapour] falls as rain instead of falling as snow,” she adds. “That is what is happening at low altitude ski stations, which are below 1,600m (5,250ft). There we are seeing a lot more rain on snow events which increase the melting of existing snow.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/01/25/bbc-end-of-snow-how-climate-change-threatens-to-close-ski-resorts/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: BBC End of Snow: “How climate change threatens to close ski resorts”
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 12:22:20 pm »
Since we in Michigan usually have plenty of extra snow, we would be delighted to send the resorts some of our excess so they can stay open. :laugh:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

Re: BBC End of Snow: “How climate change threatens to close ski resorts”
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 12:29:18 pm »
So it was 70 at a Swiss ski village on Christmas. It was zero here. That's weather for ya!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org