Author Topic: “Science” that focuses on feelings threatens our future  (Read 247 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
“Science” that focuses on feelings threatens our future
« on: January 11, 2023, 11:18:20 am »
“Science” that focuses on feelings threatens our future
By Duggan Flanakin |January 11th, 2023|Science|0 Comments

“Our schools are failing to educate students to be prepared for undergraduate science education –
while also teaching them that political conformity is the essence of science.”

According to the National Association of Scholars, America today is in danger of replicating the Lysenko cult that dominated Soviet Russia and Communist China nearly a century ago.

Soviet biologist Trofim Lysenko beginning in the 1930s led a campaign against Mendelian genetics and science-based agriculture that rejected natural selection in favor of his own self-styled techniques he wrongly claimed would radically increase crop yields.

K.L. Lerner states that “the disastrous effects of Lysenkoism … darkly illustrate the disastrous intrusion of politics and ideology into the affairs of science.” Lysenkoism worsened the famine and deprivations facing Soviet citizens. It als brought repression and persecution of scientists who dared oppose his pseudoscientific doctrines. Chairman Mao’s adoption of Lysenkoism culminated in the Great Chinese Famine of 1959-62.

https://www.cfact.org/2023/01/11/science-that-focuses-on-feelings-threatens-our-future/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=science-that-focuses-on-feelings-threatens-our-future&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=science-that-focuses-on-feelings-threatens-our-future
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: “Science” that focuses on feelings threatens our future
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 12:21:35 pm »
Science should be a dispassionate search for facts, following evidence. When feelings are interjected, or someone equates a particular theory with their ego, then that dispassionate search for answers may be seriously compromised.

It amazed other undergraduates in the Geology Department I studies at that another student and I could take different theories about the sedimentology and depositional environment of a rock formation and argue vehemently for one theory or another, pick apart one of both and then still be friends. It was because we were not married to ideas, but to finding out which (if any) withstood critical analysis. Good times, those.

Nowadays, though, with big money, prestige, and political power in the mix, truth is often a casualty.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Re: “Science” that focuses on feelings threatens our future
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 01:24:58 pm »
Science should be a dispassionate search for facts, following evidence. When feelings are interjected[, or someone equates a particular theory with their ego, then that dispassionate search for answers may be seriously compromised.] ...It is no longer science.

FIXED  happy77 :beer: