Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 89172 times)

Offline verga

Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #625 on: July 24, 2023, 10:21:10 am »
Tony Bennett dead at 96 in his hometown of New York: ‘Good Italian stock’

By Rob Bailey-Millado
July 21, 2023

Tony Bennett, the legendary pop, jazz and big-band vocalist, has died after a seven-year battle with Alzheimer’s disease. He was 96.

Publicist Sylvia Weiner confirmed Bennett’s death, revealing he passed away in his hometown of New York. His official cause of death — just two weeks shy of his 97th birthday — has not yet been announced.

“I come from good Italian stock — but I’ve tried to stay fit through the years,” Bennett told me nearly 20 years ago.

At the time he was a spry 72, meeting and greeting concertgoers with swagger before a benefit performance in the blazing hot Sonoran Desert of Tucson, Ariz.

For two decades beyond that, the 20-time Grammy winner kept swinging as smoothly as ever — making history as one of the only artists to chart new albums in the ’50s, ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, ’90s, and the first three decades of the 21st century.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/21/tony-bennett-dead-at-96/
RIP sir. you will be missed.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #626 on: July 25, 2023, 11:54:32 am »
‘A Chorus Line’ and ‘All My Children’ actress Pamela Blair dead at 73

By Emily Lefroy
July 24, 2023

Pamela Blair, who originated the role of Val in the musical “A Chorus Line,” has died. She was 73.

Blair died Sunday at home in Phoenix, Arizona, following a lengthy illness, Deadline reported.

Friends and family took to social media to mourn the “All My Children” actress, with Blair’s “Chorus Line” co-star Baayork Lee writing: “I am very sad to say my Sagittarian sister Pam Blair has gone to play with her [‘A Chorus Line’] colleagues among the clouds.”

In a Facebook post, Lee — who shared a birthday with Blair — continued that the pair “always wrote to one another no matter where we were on that day.”

Lee recalled Blair bringing the “house down every night” with her performance of “Dance: Ten, Looks: Three” from “Chorus Line.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/24/a-chorus-line-and-all-my-children-actress-pamela-blair-dead-at-73/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #627 on: July 25, 2023, 07:10:09 pm »
Comedian Ron Sexton of ‘The Bob & Tom Show’ fame dead at 52

By Jack Hobbs
July 25, 2023

Comedian Ron Sexton, who was known for playing Donnie Baker on radio’s “The Bob & Tom Show,” died suddenly Friday while on tour in Ohio.

According to Sexton’s family, the comedian was in the middle of traveling to a show when he unexpectedly died.

The family reported the star also had a show on Saturday as well as 39 other stops on the tour.

Sexton’s family announced his passing on Sunday through Facebook.

“It is with immense sadness that we let everyone know that Ron Sexton passed away yesterday,” read the post on the comedian’s page. “He was Donnie Baker to most of you, but Ron and Dad to us.”

“Please respect our privacy at this time and pray for our family,” concluded the post alongside a photo of Sexton and his family.

“Bob & Tom Show” host Tom Griswold, 70, also posted a tribute to his late friend.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/25/ron-sexton-from-the-the-bob-and-tom-show-dead-at-52/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #628 on: July 26, 2023, 12:23:29 pm »
Notre Dame football legend, Heisman winner Johnny Lujack dead at 98

By David Russell
July 26, 2023

Johnny Lujack, the Notre Dame quarterback who won three national titles with the Fighting Irish in the 1940s, died Tuesday at 98.

His granddaughter said Lujack entered hospice care recently, ESPN reported.

Lujack led Notre Dame to the championship as a sophomore in 1943, stepping in for Heisman winner Angelo Bertelli when Bertelli left the team for active duty in the Marine Corps for World War II following a 6-0 start.

Lujack himself served in the United States Navy for two years.

He returned to lead the team to the 1946 and 1947 titles, being named a unanimous All-American both years and winning the Heisman in the latter.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/26/notre-dame-football-legend-johnny-lujack-dead-at-98/

Online mountaineer

« Reply #629 on: July 26, 2023, 01:00:09 pm »
Talking about Johnny Lujack, Mr. M noted that Notre Dame had great post-war success filling the football roster with returning servicemen. It was men playing against boys, more or less. Other schools did it, too, of course, but perhaps not to the same extent.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #630 on: July 26, 2023, 06:56:03 pm »
Sinéad O’Connor (aka Shuhada’ Sadaqat) dead: ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ singer was 56

By Danica Daniel
July 26, 2023

Sinéad O’Connor, the gifted but controversial singer of the classic song “Nothing Compares 2 U,” has died at the age of 56.

In a statement, the singer’s family said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

O’Connor erupted onto the music scene with her debut album, “The Lion and the Cobra” in 1987 at the age of 20. She went on to release 10 studio albums during her record-setting career.

Three years after her debut, she became a household name with a rendition of “Nothing Compares 2 U” — a power ballad originally written by Prince.

The track turned O’Connor into an international sensation and was named the number one world single in 1990 by the Billboard Music Awards.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/26/sinead-oconnor-dead-at-56/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #631 on: July 26, 2023, 07:01:21 pm »
Sinéad O’Connor (aka Shuhada’ Sadaqat) dead: ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ singer was 56

By Danica Daniel
July 26, 2023

Sinéad O’Connor, the gifted but controversial singer of the classic song “Nothing Compares 2 U,” has died at the age of 56.

In a statement, the singer’s family said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

O’Connor erupted onto the music scene with her debut album, “The Lion and the Cobra” in 1987 at the age of 20. She went on to release 10 studio albums during her record-setting career.

Three years after her debut, she became a household name with a rendition of “Nothing Compares 2 U” — a power ballad originally written by Prince.

The track turned O’Connor into an international sensation and was named the number one world single in 1990 by the Billboard Music Awards.

@Kamaji

I admit this one hurts. Her voice and her musical "POV" were something special.

Since there was no mention as to cause of death,I am guessing suicide.

Ok,read the link,and her death was due  to suicide. Not a real surprise. She was always troubled. I had no idea about her conversion to Islam or all her marriages and divorces,though. That just goes to prove how troubled she really was.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 07:08:38 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online libertybele

« Reply #632 on: July 26, 2023, 07:13:04 pm »
She was very young. I listened to hear songs briefly back when she gained some popularity. RIP Sinead
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2023, 07:39:46 pm »
Hate to hear that she was so troubled all her life. She was given an incredible gift ( singing voice) and was gifted with an incredible song (Nothing Compares 2 U).
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online mountaineer

« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2023, 07:52:48 pm »
She was always troubled. I had no idea about her conversion to Islam or all her marriages and divorces,though. That just goes to prove how troubled she really was.
Certainly does. Sad.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

« Reply #635 on: July 27, 2023, 01:05:22 am »

By Danica Daniel
July 26, 2023

I have made it a strict rule to say nothing about he dead, if i can't say something nice. But in this case I am going to make a very rare exception. She was a sick demented B!TCH and the world is better of without her or her ilk. I pray you are in the hottest most putrid part of hell. Good Riddance.

Don NOT ask me for an explanation.

�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #636 on: July 27, 2023, 11:38:24 am »
Just a friendly reminder:

If not for her intentionally disrespectful publicity stunt on national TV 30 years ago, Sinead O'Connor would be a one-hit wonder (with a song that wasn't even hers, how's that for a self-styled "protest singer?") whose opinions would only be slightly more notable than yours or mine. She was an artifact of a brief period of the early 1990s, like Amy Fisher, Lorena Bobbitt, Tonya Harding and Michael Fay.

The fact that she's being lionized as a "legend" makes me laugh. She had been forgotten by the time she died.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline verga

« Reply #637 on: July 27, 2023, 12:43:38 pm »

If not for her intentionally disrespectful publicity stunt on national TV 30 years ago, Sinead O'Connor would be a one-hit wonder (with a song that wasn't even hers, how's that for a self-styled "protest singer?") whose opinions would only be slightly more notable than yours or mine. She was an artifact of a brief period of the early 1990s, like Amy Fisher, Lorena Bobbitt, Tonya Harding and Michael Fay.

The fact that she's being lionized as a "legend" makes me laugh. She had been forgotten by the time she died.
:amen:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #638 on: July 27, 2023, 01:10:06 pm »

@jmyrlefuller

YOUR opinion,and worth  every dollar I paid for it.

Interesting how you singled out her not being a song writer and said not one word about her voice.

Yeah,she was a nutbag. That has and had nothing  to do with her  vocal ability.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #639 on: July 27, 2023, 01:43:28 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

YOUR opinion,and worth  every dollar I paid for it.

Interesting how you singled out her not being a song writer and said not one word about her voice.

Yeah,she was a nutbag. That has and had nothing  to do with her  vocal ability.
even that was pedestrian.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #640 on: July 27, 2023, 02:03:49 pm »

Online DB

« Reply #641 on: July 28, 2023, 12:38:39 am »

She had numerous successful studio albums. Her first five albums went gold. Love her or hate her, she was very talented. She was a troubled soul, many of the best artist are.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #642 on: July 28, 2023, 12:54:55 am »
Randy Meisner dies at 77

The bassist was a member of the Eagles from its founding until he quit the band in 1977, replaced by Timothy B. Schmit. Meisner sang lead on one Eagles hit, "Take It to the Limit."

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/randy-meisner-dead-eagles-bassist-take-it-to-the-limit-singer-1235380666/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSeyp0p09w

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #643 on: July 28, 2023, 01:00:14 am »
Randy Meisner dies at 77

The bassist was a member of the Eagles from its founding until he quit the band in 1977, replaced by Timothy B. Schmit. Meisner sang lead on one Eagles hit, "Take It to the Limit."

@jmyrlefuller

BTW,does anyone know why he quit? It ain't like the band was tanking and he had better options.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #644 on: July 28, 2023, 01:04:11 am »
@jmyrlefuller

BTW,does anyone know why he quit? It ain't like the band was tanking and he had better options.
He got tired of all the band members bickering. Plus he was going through a divorce.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110111044442/http://smoothjazznow.com/interviews/randy_meisner.htm
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 01:07:00 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #645 on: July 28, 2023, 01:41:09 am »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #646 on: July 28, 2023, 01:53:47 am »
He got tired of all the band members bickering. Plus he was going through a divorce.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110111044442/http://smoothjazznow.com/interviews/randy_meisner.htm
So he wanted to find a peaceful easy feeling and take easy?

RIP sir.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #647 on: July 28, 2023, 11:14:27 am »
Bill Cunningham, singer who was original voice for Ken doll, dead at 96

By Nika Shakhnazarova
July 28, 2023

Bill Cunningham, the original voice of the classic Ken doll for Mattel during the early 1960s, has died. He was 96.

Cunningham’s death was confirmed to Deadline Thursday by CESD Talent Agency, which he co-founded in 1963.

The singer-turned-businessman died on July 15 at his home in West Hollywood. No other details were provided.

The founder was “among the great innovators and gentlemen of the talent representation business,” CESD partners Ken Slevin and Paul Doherty said in a statement.

“Bill set the template for client and customer service, particularly in commercial, voice-over and print. He was a warm, gregarious, classy man who made a positive impact on all those he represented and employed. It was our honor to know him and to learn from him.”

CESD Talent Agency is now regarded as one of the most successful commercial and voiceover talent agencies in Hollywood.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/28/bill-cunningham-the-original-voice-of-ken-doll-dead-at-96/

Offline berdie

« Reply #648 on: July 28, 2023, 08:20:22 pm »

I watched a 3 hour documentary about the Eagles not long ago. In addition to the things you mention, once he hit that high note on Take It To The Limit, he totally freaked out because he knew he couldn't do it every night. Henley and Frye (especially) said he "had to" to please the fans.

Online jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #649 on: July 29, 2023, 11:20:14 pm »
I was never a fan of Sinead O'Connor.  Because of that, I did not much pay attention to anything she did when she was younger.  She tore up a photo of Pope John Paul II on SNL in the 90s.  She was against the child abuse perpetrated by the priests in the Catholic church and I suppose she blamed the hierarchy for protecting the men preying upon children.

Her youngest son committed suicide a few months ago, and she cherished him, and I suppose she did not want to live without him.  Sad really.