Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 85165 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Obituaries for 2023
« on: January 01, 2023, 05:27:43 am »
A running thread for deaths of notable people or animals who died, or whose deaths were first reported, in calendar year 2023.

Previous threads:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 02:56:46 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 01:21:38 pm »
Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters dead at 74

Dec 31 (Reuters) - Anita Pointer, one of the Grammy-winning Pointer Sisters whose string of pop, country and R&B hits in the 1970s and '80s included "I'm So Excited," "Jump (For My Love)" and "Fire," died of cancer on Saturday at age 74, her publicist said.

Pointer was surrounded by family at her Beverly Hills home when she died, publicist Roger Neal said.

Anita was the second oldest of four sisters who started performing as the duo of June and Bonnie in 1969 and soon became a trio when Anita quit her job as a secretary to join the group, according to an official biography.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/anita-pointer-pointer-sisters-dead-74-2023-01-01/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 01:22:44 pm »
Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters dead at 74

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/anita-pointer-pointer-sisters-dead-74-2023-01-01/

Technically she died last night, but all the alerts I’ve received  are with January 1 as a date
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 12:50:53 pm »

Earth, Wind, & Fire Drummer Fred White Dead at 67

Earth, Wind & Fire drummer Fred White has died, according to an Instagram post from his older brother and former bandmate. White was 67.

“Our family is saddened today with the loss of an amazing and talented family member, our beloved brother Frederick Eugene ‘Freddie’ White,” Verdine White, who founded the 1970s band, wrote on Instagram on Sunday. There was no mention of the cause of death.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2023/01/02/earth-wind-fire-drummer-fred-white-dead-at-67/
The Republic is lost.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 02:40:13 pm »
In Memoriam: Cliff Gustafson

Legendary Texas Baseball coach Cliff Gustafson, who won 22 Southwest Conference Championships and two National Championships, passed away on January 2, 2023 at the age of 91.

In 29 seasons as head coach from 1968-96, Gustafson compiled a 1,466-377 mark with a record 17 College World Series appearances, winning National Championships in 1975 and 1983. He was inducted into the Texas Athletics Hall of Honor in 1983 and is a member of the National College Baseball Hall of Fame, the American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame, the Texas Sports Hall of Fame and Southwest Conference Hall of Fame.

Excerpted, more at the link: https://texassports.com/news/2023/1/2/baseball-in-memoriam-cliff-gustafson.aspx
Let it burn.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 03:43:31 am »
Earth, Wind, & Fire Drummer Fred White Dead at 67

Last year was a bad year for drummers. this year starting off the same.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 06:54:28 pm »
Hey, who merged the Obituaries thread into the Pope Benedict thread?  It should have gone the other way around.
Let it burn.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 10:10:57 pm »

‘Terminator’ Franchise Star Earl Boen Dead At 81

Famous actor Earl Boen, best known for his recurring role as criminal psychologist Dr. Peter Silberman in the “Terminator” franchise, died at the age of 81 on Thursday.

A family member confirmed Boen passed away in Hawaii, but did not confirm his cause of death nor disclose any specifics regarding the condition of his health at the time of his passing, according to TMZ. Boen had a long career in the world of entertainment, and racked up credits in a number of successful films.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/01/06/recurring-star-terminator-franchise-dead-81-earl-boen-naked-gun-obituaries/

-----------

Especially loved him in T2. Played the part to the hilt, absolutely made you hate him.
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 02:58:58 am »
Hey, who merged the Obituaries thread into the Pope Benedict thread?  It should have gone the other way around.
Not me. But I figured out how to fix it. That should have gone into the 2022 obituary thread anyway.

I'm kind of annoyed because whoever did the botched merge also changed the title of the thread and made that the original. I ended off having to split the thread I started, leave the Pope Benedict stories, then merge that thread into the 2022 obituaries.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 03:02:12 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 03:01:10 am »
Not me. But I figured out how to fix it. That should have gone into the 2022 obituary thread anyway.

Thank you for fixing it.

Every time the Obituaries thread would get updated, I would see a notice that the Pope Benedict thread had new messages. Kind of confusing the first time it happened, just annoying after that.
Let it burn.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 03:03:47 am »
Pro Football Hall of Famer Art McNally dies at 97

McNally, one of two Hall of Famers to be inducted for contributions to officiating (Hugh "Shorty" Ray being the other), was the oldest living Hall of Famer at the time of his death, an honor now held by former Buffalo Bills coach Marv Levy.

https://www.nfl.com/news/art-mcnally-first-nfl-official-enshrined-in-pro-football-hall-of-fame-dies-at-ag

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 03:33:22 am »
Well, I need a new :bkmk:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 10:08:07 pm »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 10:35:26 pm »
In for the 2023 deaths. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 10:38:02 pm »
Sachin Jose
@Sachinettiyil
90 year old Cardinal Zen kisses the coffin of Pope Benedict XVI, who had been a big supporter of the Catholic Church in China.

5:46 AM · Jan 7, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2023, 11:40:49 pm »
How far does 84 Lumber stretch across the fruited plains?
Joe Hardy, 84 Lumber founder, dead at 100
Jeff Himler | Saturday, Jan. 7, 2023 4:09 p.m.

Joseph A. Hardy III, founder of 84 Lumber and Fayette County’s Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, died Saturday, officials with his company reported.

Joe Hardy died on his 100th birthday. ...

Working with two younger brothers, Hardy opened a cash-and-carry lumberyard in in 1956 that focused on professional home builders in the Tri-State . He named the business after the small town of Eighty-Four where it was headquartered.

The business has grown to nearly 250 stores. It achieved $3 billion in sales in 2004.

Hardy also founded the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, in Farmington, Fayette County, known for its luxury hotel, dining outlets, spa, golfing and art collection.  ...
Tribune Review

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2023, 06:38:39 pm »
Adam Rich, Former Child Star of ‘Eight Is Enough,’ Dies at 54
Story by Katie Reul • 10m ago

Adam Rich, a former child actor best known for starring as Nicholas Bradford on the ABC series “Eight Is Enough,” died Saturday, according to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner. He was 54.

No further details about Rich’s death are available at this time, though reports state that law enforcement has not indicated to signs of foul play.  ...

Throughout his career, Rich struggled with substance abuse, leading to a near-death experience from a Valium overdose in 1989. He was arrested two years later for breaking and entering into a pharmacy, though he was bailed out by “Eight Is Enough” co-star Dick Van Patten. Rich then spent three years in rehab before being arrested again in 2002 for driving under the influence.

Details have yet to be released in regard to Rich’s survivors or plans for a memorial service.  ...

Variety via MSN

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2023, 06:41:11 pm »

Has anyone ever done a longevity study of "child stars"? 

I am guessing its under 50. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 09:44:15 pm »
Has anyone ever done a longevity study of "child stars"? 

I am guessing its under 50.
Shirley Temple made it to 86, and I'm sure there are others, but I have a gut feeling that your guess of fifty or under may be correct and pushed there by the after 1950's boom period of TV child stars.

It might be interesting to see a breakdown of republican and democrat former, even current, child/teen stars.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:46:20 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2023, 09:55:15 pm »
Billy Mumy is still kicking it, AFAIK.  Co-star Angela Cartwright left the business for a happy life.

Now, a point here...both had co-stars who helped them stay on the path.  In Billy and Angela's case, it was Jonathon Harris.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2023, 10:14:48 pm »
Billy Mumy is still kicking it, AFAIK.  Co-star Angela Cartwright left the business for a happy life.

Now, a point here...both had co-stars who helped them stay on the path.  In Billy and Angela's case, it was Jonathon Harris.
There others like Paul Petersen from the Donna Reed Show that has worked hard to help child stars.

He's been through practically the worst that can happen to a former child star when the Hollywood tide suddenly turns and one is no longer a part of the neat elite. Unlike others, however, such as Anissa Jones, Rusty Hamer and Dana Plato, he survived. As a result, actor Paul Petersen, today, is THE most dedicated advocate in protecting both present-day child stars and shunned one-time celebrity tykes, alike. Paul formed "A Minor Consideration", a child-actor support group back in 1990, and it has had a tremendously positive and profound effect in Hollywood.[/i
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0676928/bio

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2023, 10:18:45 pm »
There others like Paul Petersen from the Donna Reed Show that has worked hard to help child stars.

He's been through practically the worst that can happen to a former child star when the Hollywood tide suddenly turns and one is no longer a part of the neat elite. Unlike others, however, such as Anissa Jones, Rusty Hamer and Dana Plato, he survived. As a result, actor Paul Petersen, today, is THE most dedicated advocate in protecting both present-day child stars and shunned one-time celebrity tykes, alike. Paul formed "A Minor Consideration", a child-actor support group back in 1990, and it has had a tremendously positive and profound effect in Hollywood.[/i
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0676928/bio

Exactly.  Will and Penny Robinson had, of all people, Dr. Smith.  Go figure.  Turns out he's a really good guy who played a lot of bad guy roles.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2023, 10:19:25 pm »
Story by Katie Reul • 10m ago

Adam Rich, a former child actor best known for starring as Nicholas Bradford on the ABC series “Eight Is Enough,” died Saturday, according to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner. He was 54.

No further details about Rich’s death are available at this time, though reports state that law enforcement has not indicated to signs of foul play.  ...

Throughout his career, Rich struggled with substance abuse, leading to a near-death experience from a Valium overdose in 1989. He was arrested two years later for breaking and entering into a pharmacy, though he was bailed out by “Eight Is Enough” co-star Dick Van Patten. Rich then spent three years in rehab before being arrested again in 2002 for driving under the influence.

Details have yet to be released in regard to Rich’s survivors or plans for a memorial service.  ...

Variety via MSN

@mountaineer

Damn shame. Some people are just  born "genetically broken",and there is not a damn thing anyone can do to fix them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2023, 05:01:52 pm »
Jack Hayford, pastor and writer of worship song ‘Majesty,’ dies at age 88
By Michael Gryboski
Jan. 9, 2023
Christian Post

Jack W. Hayford, a prominent pastor, author, seminary chancellor and the man who wrote the popular contemporary Christian worship song “Majesty,” has died at the age of 88.

Jack Hayford Ministries posted an announcement on its Facebook page confirming that he died on Sunday evening at his home in Los Angeles, California.  ...

Offline rustynail

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2023, 10:47:58 pm »
Daniel Navarrete, 42, of New Braunfels, Texas

fell through an open hatch Thursday in a pit at a Nabors Industries rig north of New Town, according to Mountrail County Sheriff Corey Bristol.

Other workers tried to rescue Navarrete and even drained the pit, the Bismarck Tribune reported Friday, but Navarrete died at the scene.
https://www.fox19.com/2023/01/09/oil-rig-worker-dies-after-falling-into-pit/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wxix