Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 89169 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #450 on: May 06, 2023, 02:32:49 am »
Never heard of her but young. Rest in Peace
I'm surprised, neither have I. Given that she was an American Olympic gold medalist, you'd think she'd've been able to get some good publicity and endorsements from it all. But I guess not.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #451 on: May 06, 2023, 04:07:40 am »
My husband is a track nerd, and the talk at his running forum is that Tori was depressed over professional and personal setbacks, and took her own life.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #452 on: May 06, 2023, 05:07:43 am »
My husband is a track nerd, and the talk at his running forum is that Tori was depressed over professional and personal setbacks, and took her own life.

@mountaineer

I REALLY hope that is wrong. It is bad enough for someone that young to die from some sort of medical emergency,but for someone that has worked as hard as she had to work to get to where she was to off herself,is beyond depressing.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #453 on: May 06, 2023, 05:11:37 am »
@mountaineer

I REALLY hope that is wrong. It is bad enough for someone that young to die from some sort of medical emergency,but for someone that has worked as hard as she had to work to get to where she was to off herself,is beyond depressing.
Me, too. But look at the headlines, and the women who are being 'celebrated' aren't even women.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #454 on: May 06, 2023, 05:13:14 am »
Me, too. But look at the headlines, and the women who are being 'celebrated' aren't even women.

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,this really is an upside down world we are living in today,isn't it?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #455 on: May 06, 2023, 05:14:54 am »
@Smokin Joe

Yeah,this really is an upside down world we are living in today,isn't it?
Like an alternate universe...and I don't even drink.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #456 on: May 07, 2023, 12:06:40 am »
Newton Minow dies at 97.

You might not recognize the name—except perhaps as the inspiration for the S.S. Minnow on Gilligan's Island, named as an insult to him—but for a time in the early 1960s, Minow, the head of the FCC under President John F. Kennedy, was the most notorious name in television, despite never being directly involved in the industry.

In May 1961, at the end of the previous television season, Minow delivered his most famous speech, "Television and the Public Interest," in which he effectively declared the Golden Age of influential 1950s teleplays and cultural content dead and ripped the networks for producing a new wave of popular, but lowbrow, content, which he dubbed "a vast wasteland," an epithet that would stick with TV for many years after. To Minow, cartoons, sitcoms, action series and Westerns were beneath the dignity of the TV medium, which should have focused on documentaries and educational content. Minow believed, somewhat naïvely, that if television choices were expanded with highbrow choices, viewers would naturally gravitate toward that content and leave the lowbrow stuff in the dust.

That turned out not to be the case. Though some effort was made to placate Minow with more documentary content the following few seasons, by the mid-1960s it had become evident that lowbrow television had won out and that the genres Minow detested were still the most popular on TV. Minow supported the expansion of what we now know as public television, and was pleased when PBS was founded in 1970 as an outlet for the kind of content Minow had favored. Reflecting in 2011, he noted that the far greater expansion of TV options over the subsequent decades had improved quality, though it had eliminated the shared experience television had developed when there were limited options.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/06/1174552038/fcc-newton-minow-dead

Minow's 1961 speech "Television and the Public Interest."
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/newtonminow.htm
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #457 on: May 09, 2023, 11:17:09 am »
Former NFL quarterback Joe Kapp dead at 85

By David Russell
May 9, 2023

Joe Kapp, a quarterback who led the Vikings to the Super Bowl in 1970 and once threw seven touchdowns in a game, has died at 85, according to reports.

He had battled Alzheimer’s disease, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Kapp remains the only quarterback to play in the Super Bowl, Rose Bowl and the Canadian Football League’s Grey Cup.

He was known for his ferocious and aggressive style of play.

“Some form of challenge is necessary on every play that you play and if you don’t come up to that line of scrimmage as the quarterback ready to challenge that defense, they’re going to eat you up,” Kapp once told NFL Films.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/09/former-nfl-quarterback-joe-kapp-dead-at-85/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #458 on: May 09, 2023, 11:18:36 am »
Legendary New York news anchor John Roland dead at 81

By Allie Griffin
May 8, 2023

Legendary broadcast journalist and longtime New York City news anchor John Roland died Sunday at 81, his former employer Fox 5 announced.

Roland anchored the 10 p.m. newscast on New York’s Channel 5 for roughly three decades after beginning at the station as a weekday political reporter and weekend anchor in 1969.

The reporter became Fox 5’s nightly news anchor about 10 years later — a position he held up until his retirement in 2004.

His presence remained steadfast on the nightly news desk as he anchored alongside numerous colleagues over his tenure — including Rosanna Scotto in the 1990s.

“He taught me about fairness in presenting the news,” Scotto said of Roland. “I felt his passion and respect for the audience who watched his nightly broadcast.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/08/john-roland-longtime-new-york-news-anchor-dead-at-81/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #459 on: May 13, 2023, 02:51:11 pm »
I wonder if the church bell will chime 30 times now?

Decades ago, in the final verse of his most beloved hit, Gordon Lightfoot depicted a solemn scene at Mariners’ Church of Detroit: "The church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times / For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.”

At 3 p.m. Tuesday,   the bell at Mariners’ Church rang out again — now chiming 30 times to honor those perished sailors along with the artist who famously memorialized them in song.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/mariners-church-of-detroit-honors-gordon-lightfoot-with-tuesday-ringing-of-bells/ar-AA1aEaXQ
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Offline verga

« Reply #461 on: May 15, 2023, 05:10:47 pm »
@Wingnut

I don't  know who was responsible for that decision,but my hat is off to them.
:amen:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline berdie

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #463 on: May 15, 2023, 08:53:38 pm »

I can't imagine the feeling that would give to those listening.
Tremendous!

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #464 on: May 18, 2023, 11:59:24 am »
Pro wrestling legend ‘Superstar’ Billy Graham dead at 79

By Joseph Staszewski
May 17, 2023

Pro wrestling legend “Superstar” Billy Graham died Wednesday.

He was 79.

Graham, whose real name Eldridge Wayne Coleman, had been dealing with health issues for decades before things took a bad turn in February.

Ric Flair broke the news of Graham’s death, which was confirmed by TMZ.

“The Superstar Billy Graham Just Left US,” Flair tweeted. “THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INFLUENCE on My Career!”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/17/pro-wrestling-legend-superstar-billy-graham-dead-at-79/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2023, 05:23:42 pm »
Billionaire investor Sam Zell, nicknamed ‘grave dancer,’ dies at 81

By Associated Press
May 18, 2023

Sam Zell, a Chicago real estate magnate who earned a multibillion-dollar fortune and a reputation as “the grave dancer” for his ability to revive moribund properties has died due to complications from a recent illness.

He was 81.

Bearded and blunt-spoken, Zell reveled in bucking traditional wisdom.

He had a golden touch with real estate, and got his start managing apartment buildings as a college student.

By the time he reached his 70s, he had amassed a fortune estimated at $3.8 billion.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/18/sam-zell-billionaire-real-estate-investor-dies-at-81/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #466 on: May 19, 2023, 12:31:38 pm »
The Smiths bassist Andy Rourke dead at 59 after cancer battle

By Richard Pollina
May 19, 2023

Andy Rourke, the bassist and founding member of the iconic British rock band, The Smiths, has died of cancer.

He was 59.

Former band member and guitarist Johnny Marr broke the heartbreaking news of Rourke’s death, which came after a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer.

“It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of Andy Rourke after a lengthy illness with pancreatic cancer. Andy will be remembered as a kind and beautiful soul by those who knew him and as a supremely gifted musician by music fans. We request privacy at this sad time,” Marr said on Twitter.

Rourke befriended Marr when he was 11 years old, with the two regularly jamming together in their teenage years before forming The Smiths with frontman Morrisey and drummer Mike Joyce in 1982.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/19/andy-rourke-the-smiths-bassist-dead-at-59/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #467 on: May 19, 2023, 02:31:43 pm »
The Smiths bassist Andy Rourke dead at 59 after cancer battle

By Richard Pollina
May 19, 2023

Andy Rourke, the bassist and founding member of the iconic British rock band, The Smiths, has died of cancer.

He was 59.

Former band member and guitarist Johnny Marr broke the heartbreaking news of Rourke’s death, which came after a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer.

“It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of Andy Rourke after a lengthy illness with pancreatic cancer. Andy will be remembered as a kind and beautiful soul by those who knew him and as a supremely gifted musician by music fans. We request privacy at this sad time,” Marr said on Twitter.

Rourke befriended Marr when he was 11 years old, with the two regularly jamming together in their teenage years before forming The Smiths with frontman Morrisey and drummer Mike Joyce in 1982.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/19/andy-rourke-the-smiths-bassist-dead-at-59/

Rest in peace. Thank you for the music
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #468 on: May 19, 2023, 08:14:26 pm »
May 19, 2023 3:37pm EDT
NFL legend Jim Brown dead at 87
Brown was a three-time MVP

By Ryan Morik | Fox News

Cleveland Browns legend Jim Brown has died at the age of 87.

"It is with profound sadness that I announce the passing of my husband, Jim Brown," Monique Brown said in a statement. "He passed peacefully last night at our LA home. To the world he was an activist, actor, and football star. To our family, he was a loving and wonderful husband, father, and grandfather. Our hearts are broken."

Brown is one of the greatest running backs of all time, having won three MVPs (including in his rookie season in 1957) and being named an All-Pro in each of his nine NFL seasons, eight of which he was a First-teamer. He was the sixth overall pick in the 1957 NFL Draft out of Syracuse.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1659643647032172563

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-legend-jim-brown-dead-at-87
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #469 on: May 19, 2023, 09:04:12 pm »
No words of mine need added about Jim Brown.  He was beyond iconic - an institution and American culture who helped build the very foundations of modern professional football.

RIP.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 10:47:36 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #470 on: May 19, 2023, 09:58:14 pm »
A great multi-sport athlete.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #471 on: May 20, 2023, 07:10:47 pm »
Tim Keller, influential Evangelical pastor and author, dies at 72

Timothy Keller, the notable Evangelical author, theologian and New York City-based pastor, has died following a lengthy battle with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He was 72 years old.

Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, a congregation that Keller helped found, sent a statement to members informing them that he died Friday morning. ...

Keller authored multiple books, including the 2008 bestseller The Reason for God, an apologetics work centered on tackling tough questions like why God allows suffering and sends the unsaved to Hell.

“Keller has compiled a list of the most frequently voiced ‘doubts’ skeptics bring to his church as well as the most important reasons for faith,” noted the book’s official description.

“Keller uses literature, philosophy, real-life conversations, and reasoning to explain how faith in a Christian God is a soundly rational belief, held by thoughtful people of intellectual integrity with a deep compassion for those who truly want to know the truth.”  ...
Christian Post

https://twitter.com/MattSmethurst/status/1659626811280506889

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #472 on: May 20, 2023, 07:42:19 pm »
Pete Brown, countercultural poet, singer and Cream lyricist, dies aged 82

Pete Brown, a cult figure in British poetry, rock, psychedelia and rhythm and blues who wrote lyrics for many of Cream’s classic songs, has died aged 82. He had been living with what he recently described as “various forms of cancer” for a number of years.

The family of his long-term late collaborator Jack Bruce wrote on social media: “We are extremely saddened to learn of the death of Jack’s long term friend and writing partner Pete Brown who passed away last night. We extend our sincere condolences to Pete’s wife Sheridan and Pete’s children as well as all his family and friends. Love from the Bruce family.”

Brown will perhaps best be remembered for his longstanding creative partnership with Bruce, which began in 1965 and lasted until the latter’s death in 2014. Brown was invited by drummer Ginger Baker to help finish the debut single by Cream, the psych-rock band also featuring Bruce and Eric Clapton. Brown would go on to write lyrics for Cream songs such as their first Top 20 hit I Feel Free, the hippy anthem Sunshine of Your Love, and White Room, its darkly tripped-out lyrics a source of fascination to generations of listeners. Dance the Night Away, meanwhile, was inspired by “sex and dancing [which] anchored me a great deal and got me through that time when I was having panic attacks” in the wake of a bad drugs experience, he later explained.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/may/20/pete-brown-countercultural-poet-singer-and-cream-lyricist-dies-aged-82

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #473 on: May 20, 2023, 07:43:02 pm »
Pete Brown, countercultural poet, singer and Cream lyricist, dies aged 82

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/may/20/pete-brown-countercultural-poet-singer-and-cream-lyricist-dies-aged-82

I really like(d) Cream. Rest in Peace sir

Offline libertybele

« Reply #474 on: May 20, 2023, 07:56:25 pm »
I haven't thought of this group or heard one of their songs in a very long time. RIP Pete Brown    One of their best:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR90gQ-SIaY
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.