Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46414 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #1325 on: January 07, 2023, 04:03:14 pm »
Nothing - if those are the Rules that apply regardless of who is controlling the chamber.    But they aren't, and they won't be the next time the Dems are in charge.  They'll change the Rules right back to enable their majority to run roughshod over our minority.

So all we did was turbo-charge the leftist ratchet effect.

How about we just make sure they never get the opportunity again!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1326 on: January 07, 2023, 04:03:44 pm »
"it" being the fact we got McCarthy.  I'm already over it, but having Zellinskyyyyyyyyyyyy crowing about, just doesn't help.

Especially since those that stopped the show are against sending more to Ukraine....and they have the voting bloc to defeat any more requests.  Zelensky needs to better pace himself.

« Reply #1327 on: January 07, 2023, 04:09:45 pm »
Don't you think McCarthy using the term "swamp accountability" exudes a bit of irony, and warrant some laughter?

He iz the swamp...   :cool:

In any case, I am glad it's over.

Under the pending rules package it will matter more what his caucas does than what McCarthy does.   Conservatives had a very big win here. Now they need to get to work and show why their win is a good thing.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1328 on: January 07, 2023, 04:12:05 pm »
Under the pending rules package it will matter more what his caucas does than what McCarthy does.   Conservatives had a very big win here. Now they need to get to work and show why their win is a good thing.

:yowsa: pointing-up

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DB

« Reply #1329 on: January 07, 2023, 04:17:12 pm »
Nothing - if those are the Rules that apply regardless of who is controlling the chamber.  That way, we would have an equal shot at gumming up the Democrats' agenda. 

But the Rules aren't the same, and they won't be the next time the Dems are in charge.  They'll change the Rules right back to enable their majority to run roughshod over our minority, and to ram through their leftist agenda.

So all we did was turbo-charge the leftist ratchet effect.

I'd be a bit less pessimistic if we had a 20-30 vote margin, but we don't.

You mean just like the Democrats have been doing for years? This didn't open any doors for the Democrats next time they control the house, they would have done the same either way.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1330 on: January 07, 2023, 04:17:17 pm »
I might be looking at this way too simplistically, but with the "1" no confidence provision, does Kev become nothhing more but a high profile procurement logistics clerk, and club president who divies committee assignments and chairmanships?

Got to love a plan.   :cool:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:30:49 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1331 on: January 07, 2023, 04:27:34 pm »
You mean just like the Democrats have been doing for years? This didn't open any doors for the Democrats next time they control the house, they would have done the same either way.

Our job is to make sure the Commie bastards never again have such an opportunity!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1332 on: January 07, 2023, 06:08:59 pm »
I might be looking at this way too simplistically, but with the "1" no confidence provision, does Kev become nothhing more but a high profile procurement logistics clerk, and club president who divies committee assignments and chairmanships?

That's the rule that was already in place before Pelosi took over.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #1333 on: January 07, 2023, 06:54:09 pm »
   Thomas Jefferson originally put that in.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1334 on: January 07, 2023, 06:54:13 pm »
Especially since those that stopped the show are against sending more to Ukraine....and they have the voting bloc to defeat any more requests.  Zelensky needs to better pace himself.

How so?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1335 on: January 07, 2023, 06:56:24 pm »

Under these rules, the GOP could have slowed the House to a crawl, and the Dems wouldn't have been able to accomplish nearly as much as they did. 

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1336 on: January 07, 2023, 06:59:33 pm »
   Thomas Jefferson originally put that in.

And for the life of me, I can't understand why there are people here opposed to it.  It's effectively an endorsement of Pelosi's style of leadership.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1337 on: January 07, 2023, 07:01:15 pm »

Pretty much.  Just remember where the blame goes when it goes to hell.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1338 on: January 07, 2023, 07:07:00 pm »
And for the life of me, I can't understand why there are people here opposed to it.  It's effectively an endorsement of Pelosi's style of leadership.

Again....

The rule weakens the Speaker, which means it weakens the ability of the majority to get things done.  That's perfectly fine if it applies regardless of which side is in power. 

However, if it only applies when one side is in power, that creates a structural bias where one party has an easier time advancing its agenda than the other does in trying to reverse it.

Guess we can just wait and see how it turns out, though.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1339 on: January 07, 2023, 07:08:02 pm »
Pretty much.  Just remember where the blame goes when it goes to hell.

The blame for everything bad is going to go to the Republicans, and the credit for everything good is going to go to the Democrats.  And there is nothing Republicans can do to change that.  So the best thing they can do is to stop operating out of fear, and instead do what is right for the nation as a whole.  And #1 on that list is to stop spending money we don't have.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1340 on: January 07, 2023, 07:12:50 pm »
Again....

The rule weakens the Speaker, which means it weakens the ability of the majority to get things done.  That's perfectly fine if it applies regardless of which side is in power.

I'm OK with that.

However, if it only applies when one side is in power, that creates a structural bias where one party has an easier time advancing its agenda than the other does in trying to reverse it.

Guess we can just wait and see how it turns out, though.

In any given year, GOP control over either house can stop anything the Democrats try to fund.  That has always been in place.  The problem is that there are enough Republican collaborators out there to vote along with the Democrats.

Take Planned Parenthood funding for example.  In 2017, we had a GOP House, a GOP Senate, and a GOP President.  And when it came time to pass and sign a budget, did Republicans use their control to block Planned Parenthood funding from that budget?  No.

This shit has got to stop.  And it has to stop now.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1341 on: January 07, 2023, 07:35:50 pm »
I'm OK with that.

In any given year, GOP control over either house can stop anything the Democrats try to fund.  That has always been in place.  The problem is that there are enough Republican collaborators out there to vote along with the Democrats.

Take Planned Parenthood funding for example.  In 2017, we had a GOP House, a GOP Senate, and a GOP President.  And when it came time to pass and sign a budget, did Republicans use their control to block Planned Parenthood funding from that budget?  No.

This shit has got to stop.  And it has to stop now.

How would any of these rule changes stop that from happening?  The new rules make it even easier for the Dems to offer amendments.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 07:40:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online corbe

« Reply #1342 on: January 07, 2023, 07:45:54 pm »
   Told yall last night the Trumpers would take credit for something they wanted to demolish in the first place.  Correct me if I'm wrong but when MTG tried to hand her phone to Gaetz with the DJT call, he didn't take it.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 07:47:36 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bilo

« Reply #1343 on: January 07, 2023, 07:46:42 pm »

As I understand it the FC got control over the rules committee. If true, they will control what can be brought to the floor for a vote. I can almost live with McCarthy if this is true.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1344 on: January 07, 2023, 07:52:02 pm »

Pelosi's style of leadership was effective as hell.  She just exercised it in a leftist direction.

Offline bilo

« Reply #1345 on: January 07, 2023, 07:52:35 pm »
The blame for everything bad is going to go to the Republicans, and the credit for everything good is going to go to the Democrats.  And there is nothing Republicans can do to change that.  So the best thing they can do is to stop operating out of fear, and instead do what is right for the nation as a whole.  And #1 on that list is to stop spending money we don't have.

You are spot on!

We know we have at least 20 Reps who will fight for us lets support them. I was pretty disappointed in other FC members who didn't stand up and fight and especially in Trump. He could have been the outsider he claims to be, but instead played the insider game lining up with a back stabbing RINO.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1346 on: January 07, 2023, 08:40:34 pm »
Pelosi's style of leadership was effective as hell.

The same can be said of Josef Stalin, Ho Chi Mihn, Pol Pot, Mao, and Ghengis Khan.  It cannot be said of James Monroe, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, or George Mason.  I prefer the example of the latter rather than those whom Pelosi mimics.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #1347 on: January 07, 2023, 09:53:56 pm »
Pelosi's style of leadership was effective as hell.  She just exercised it in a leftist direction.

I dunno. Dems used to be able to hold the House for like 50 years. It was constantly changing hands under her direction. Not that the GOP was better I guess.

« Reply #1348 on: January 07, 2023, 10:05:46 pm »

« Reply #1349 on: January 07, 2023, 10:10:14 pm »
The new rules make it even easier for the Dems to offer amendments.

Unless this change comes with a maximum number of amendments, it allows the democrats to use this to stall, if not stop, the GOP agenda.