Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46387 times)

Online DB

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #1275 on: January 07, 2023, 05:32:56 am »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1276 on: January 07, 2023, 05:34:07 am »
Roll With the Changes

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1277 on: January 07, 2023, 05:34:40 am »
Ummm. We are WAYYYY past that now.

I guess not.

Gaetz played it like a harp.

This was take no prisoners negotiation.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1278 on: January 07, 2023, 05:36:38 am »
I guess not.

Gaetz played it like a harp.

This was take no prisoners negotiation.

This is a huge win for Conservatives.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #1279 on: January 07, 2023, 05:36:40 am »
   Well at least we got some good concessions out of him instead of doing what the Trumpers wanted here~just fold up shop and let the screwing begin.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1280 on: January 07, 2023, 05:36:55 am »
Well that isn't McCarthy...

It isn't McCarthy's job.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1281 on: January 07, 2023, 05:38:54 am »
Scalise is the Whip.  He sucks at his job.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1282 on: January 07, 2023, 05:39:58 am »
Scalise is the Whip.  He sucks at his job.

Big time.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1283 on: January 07, 2023, 05:40:56 am »
   Well at least we got some good concessions out of him instead of doing what the Trumpers wanted here~just fold up shop and let the screwing begin.

In the coming weeks, we'll be listening to Sean Hannity boast about all the hard-won Conservative gains, totally oblivious to the fact that he opposed all their actions.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1284 on: January 07, 2023, 05:41:33 am »
Big time.

And now he's getting promoted to Majority Leader.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1285 on: January 07, 2023, 05:44:01 am »
It isn't McCarthy's job.

The Freedom Caucus apparently thinks it's a good idea to have the Speaker in "The World's Best Constructive Straightjacket ", and they got exactly what they wanted.   Now, McCarthy is basically just another member with a fancy title, and the House will be run by the FC's rules.

So if this thing goes off the rails, it'll be on the FC, and every other member of the GOP caucus will know it.  The flip side is that if it goes great, they'll deserve the credit too.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 05:46:54 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online corbe

« Reply #1286 on: January 07, 2023, 05:45:35 am »
   Trump himself will take credit for this marvelous achievement of Republicans Conservatives.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1287 on: January 07, 2023, 05:47:23 am »
"Here it is. The moment Kevin McCarthy became the 53rd Speaker of the House after winning the 15th ballot." (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1611596497572732929

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #1288 on: January 07, 2023, 05:50:13 am »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 05:51:06 am by Texas Yellow Rose »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1289 on: January 07, 2023, 05:50:39 am »
   Trump himself will take credit for this marvelous achievement of Republicans Conservatives.

McCarthy and Roy should thank him.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1290 on: January 07, 2023, 05:54:16 am »

Online corbe

« Reply #1291 on: January 07, 2023, 05:56:34 am »
    I seriously doubt that Roy would thank Trump for anything, ever.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1292 on: January 07, 2023, 05:58:41 am »
Sounds like the arrangement of the deck chairs was successfully decided.

Let's sit and listen to the string quartet for a while. They play a lovely tune.
Let it burn.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1293 on: January 07, 2023, 06:01:26 am »

Well, he might want to wait until they actual achieve something tangible rather than just symbolic.  Changing rules doesn't do any good unless it improves the eventual legislation.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1294 on: January 07, 2023, 06:03:46 am »
Well, he might want to wait until they actual achieve something tangible rather than just symbolic.  Changing rules doesn't do any good unless it improves the eventual legislation.

The rules changes still have to pass the full House ...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1295 on: January 07, 2023, 06:06:16 am »
    Rosendale as silent as @roamer_1 on a Friday night.

Sorry @corbe ... Once the votes started moving, the fix was in, and the rest of it was a yawner. Besides, tonight was axe and hatchet night... Everything is hair shaving sharp now, all the handles rejuvenated... But I found a rough spot on my kit box latch... so I wound up polishing my knob.  :beer: A little bit lit, and messin with sharp sh*t. That's a good night.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1296 on: January 07, 2023, 06:18:28 am »
The rules changes still have to pass the full House ...

I don't think that will be an issue.  The House needs rules to function, the FC won't vote for the Rules unless they contain all the bargained-for provisions, so it'll all be in there. 

Other than the Holman rule, all those rule changes greatly benefit the party out of power, so the Dems won't put up much of a fight though they'll vote against them just on principle.

And to those who think they won't benefit the Democrats, here's what Matt Rosendale said on the House floor to Maxine Waters:

"Last summer we began to negotiate, a group of us in good faith, a list of changes, amendments, to the rules of this body. Not to empower ourselves, not to bring personal benefit to ourselves, but to empower you and you and you, Maxine, and you, and you, and everyone sitting in this chamber equally," Rosendale said....

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-elect-maxine-waters-appears-shouting-match-republicans-house-floor

If you're the party out of power, taking the Speaker's power and dispersing it to all members equally is a massive gift.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:34:32 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1297 on: January 07, 2023, 08:55:49 am »
Jeffries Gavel handover speech was an epic abomination, .....disgusting.

Human garbage is too kind of a description of this piece of work.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1298 on: January 07, 2023, 09:40:55 am »

If you're the party out of power, taking the Speaker's power and dispersing it to all members equally is a massive gift.

More importantly, the faction(s) out of power. Democrats have advanced their agenda under Republican rule, latest under Tumpy, when Republicans controlled both houses... And democrats moved forward anyway.
Who can't push forward would be those factions outside of the cool kids... Namely Conservatives.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #1299 on: January 07, 2023, 01:24:05 pm »
Looks like I missed all the fun last night, and now all I have for Saturday morning are the funnies instead of c-span.