Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46363 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #725 on: January 06, 2023, 02:53:00 pm »
   With Buck (R, CO) out most of the day for medical treatment the magic number McCarthy will need is 217.

Buck is a McCarthy vote, so there is no change in the number of votes McCarthy would need to gain.  Before, he was at 201 needing 218.  Now he is at 200 needing 217.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #726 on: January 06, 2023, 03:03:23 pm »
 :bkmk:  Gonna do another catnap (or 4 hour tour)

Hold the Line Boys, Hold the Line.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #727 on: January 06, 2023, 03:11:35 pm »
Gaetz: If Democrats Join Up with GOP to Elect a Moderate Republican House Speaker, I Will Resign

What did he expect?  435 egotists aren't going to sit in a chamber for two years, waiting to be sworn in, while he nominates people who never wanted the gavel.

I'm having second thoughts about DeSantis now ... didn't he found the arson caucus? 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #728 on: January 06, 2023, 03:16:33 pm »
So we cannot swear in new members until a speaker is nominated?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #729 on: January 06, 2023, 03:18:16 pm »
Gaetz: If Democrats Join Up with GOP to Elect a Moderate Republican House Speaker, I Will Resign

Thursday on FNC’s “The Ingraham Angle,” Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) said a coalition of Republicans and Democrats electing a moderate Republican was not a concern.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/01/05/gaetz-if-democrats-join-up-with-gop-to-elect-a-moderate-republican-house-speaker-i-will-resign/

Gaetz needs to quite being so twitchy and keep his head.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #730 on: January 06, 2023, 03:21:28 pm »
Gaetz needs to quite being so twitchy and keep his head.

Gaetz has voted for 6 different candidates in 11 ballots.

If we wants to avoid the schitzoid memes he needs to level off a bit.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online corbe

« Reply #731 on: January 06, 2023, 03:27:27 pm »
   According to this @cato potatoe DeSantis was never a member of the Freedom Caucus.

https://ballotpedia.org/House_Freedom_Caucus
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline BellyAche

« Reply #732 on: January 06, 2023, 03:31:55 pm »

Here ya go:

If no speaker is chosen, incoming House members cannot take an oath or be sworn in on the House floor, according to the U.S. Code of Law, which reads:

“At the first session of Congress after every general election of Representatives, the oath of office shall be administered by any Member of the House of Representatives to the Speaker; and by the Speaker to all the Members and Delegates present, and to the Clerk, previous to entering on any other business; and to the Members and Delegates who afterward appear, previous to their taking their seats.”

Sources:

https://history.house.gov/Institution/Origins-Development/Oath-of-Office/

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GPO-HPRACTICE-108/html/GPO-HPRACTICE-108-34.htm
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bilo

« Reply #733 on: January 06, 2023, 03:33:46 pm »
Gaetz has voted for 6 different candidates in 11 ballots.

If we wants to avoid the schitzoid memes he needs to level off a bit.

He knew those were ballots that were a holding action.

I rank Gaetz right up at the top in the conference. He is the only Rep I've seen who berated Generals up and down for their incompetence. He is tough and quick on his feet. We need more like him.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #734 on: January 06, 2023, 03:38:08 pm »

I rank Gaetz right up at the top in the conference. He is the only Rep I've seen who berated Generals up and down for their incompetence. He is tough and quick on his feet. We need more like him.

:yowsa:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #735 on: January 06, 2023, 03:39:38 pm »

There is an ocean of difference  between perception and reality.  And in the world of politics, you know which prevails.

We all know as political junkies the details of the game.  The noobs don't, and don't forget....they vote.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 03:42:11 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #736 on: January 06, 2023, 03:45:23 pm »

New members have already been sworn in.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #737 on: January 06, 2023, 03:45:28 pm »
the arson caucus?

What you are calling the Arson Caucus to some of us, are 20 patriots who don't want to give RINO McCarthy the green light toward full capitualtion to the Biden agenda. 

You don't think he's Turdle Jr?  Prove me wrong.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #738 on: January 06, 2023, 03:46:10 pm »

Agree. I like Gaetz too, and think overall he's done a good job. But they need an endgame. Either a proposal on paper to lock down the rules process and prevent another Omnibus type disaster, or a list of compromise candidates that they will vote for.

Where you don't want to go is just sitting at the back of the class throwing spitballs. Fun, but they'll lose their credibility and leverage if all they want to do is flip the bird.
The Republic is lost.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #739 on: January 06, 2023, 03:49:52 pm »
Agree. I like Gaetz too, and think overall he's done a good job. But they need an endgame. Either a proposal on paper to lock down the rules process and prevent another Omnibus type disaster, or a list of compromise candidates that they will vote for.

Where you don't want to go is just sitting at the back of the class throwing spitballs. Fun, but they'll lose their credibility and leverage if all they want to do is flip the bird.

:thumbsup:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #740 on: January 06, 2023, 03:50:09 pm »
The end game without some drastic measures, is going to boil down to McCarthy finding 16 out 20 FC fighters who don't hate his guts so badly that they won't vote for him under any circumstances.

I am guessing Gaetz and Biggs are pretty close to being rock solid "never"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 03:50:59 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline bilo

« Reply #741 on: January 06, 2023, 03:50:29 pm »
There is an ocean of difference  between perception and reality.  And in the world of politics, you know which prevails.

We all know as political junkies the details of the game.  The noobs don't, and don't forget....they vote.

I agree with you, but two weeks after a Speaker is picked the noobs will forget about it, just like Afghanistan was no longer an issue when it came time to vote.

Offline bilo

« Reply #742 on: January 06, 2023, 03:51:19 pm »
What you are calling the Arson Caucus to some of us, are 20 patriots who don't want to give RINO McCarthy the green light toward full capitualtion to the Biden agenda. 

You don't think he's Turdle Jr?  Prove me wrong.

:amen:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #743 on: January 06, 2023, 03:53:52 pm »
The end game without some drastic measures, is going to boil down to McCarthy finding 16 out 20 FC fighters who don't hate his guts so badly that they won't vote for him under any circumstances.

I am guessing Gaetz and Biggs are pretty close to being rock solid "never"

And I think they should be. If it is McCarthy, give him 218 votes and that is all. Remind him it will be that way for the next two years.

Personally, I think they need to start talks with someone on that side and give them the list of candidates they will vote for, and do that now.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #744 on: January 06, 2023, 03:54:44 pm »
I agree with you, but two weeks after a Speaker is picked the noobs will forget about it, just like Afghanistan was no longer an issue when it came time to vote.

Yeah, I soon forget how stupid most of the electorate is.

In my voting youth, say 1975-1985 a POTUS with Biden's dismal record at every angle  would have lost 10 senate seats and 50-60 in the house easily in the mid-terms.

It's like the Movie Idocracy has been accelerated 450 years early.   

Offline bilo

« Reply #745 on: January 06, 2023, 03:56:30 pm »

From what little news I've seen they are negotiating behind the scenes and are getting agreements in writing. If McCarthy ends up Speaker then I'm not so sure how good any agreement is even if it is in writing, but I think the "gang of 20" are doing all they can.

My guess is if this goes to Wed. next week we will start seeing candidates for Speaker gaining more votes. So far what I've seen are the demands of the "gang of 20" have been very reasonable.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #746 on: January 06, 2023, 03:56:36 pm »

They'll forget about if the MSM let them forget about it; on the other hand, if it becomes the foundation for a constant drumbeat of "look how bad the republicans are at running things", then they won't.  Let us not underestimate the power of political propaganda spread by mass media.

Online corbe

« Reply #747 on: January 06, 2023, 03:56:37 pm »
   If Chip Roy gets his concession, it will only take 1 vote of No Confidence to force another Speaker vote.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #748 on: January 06, 2023, 04:00:29 pm »
One hour to go, and the TW@T-isphere is quiet

In fact, nothing on Speakers Race is even trending.

Just of interest, is supposedly Bolton running for POTUS.

Online corbe

« Reply #749 on: January 06, 2023, 04:02:33 pm »
Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said on a GOP conference call Thursday morning he has made progress on negotiations with Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas) and others who have not been supporting him for Speaker.

But the deal is not finalized with all of the holdouts, and McCarthy stressed that the deal was still tentative – later telling members to stop leaking the details to the press and for any reporters to get off the call.

Rep. Garret Graves (R-La.), a McCarthy backer, told Republicans on the call that budget cuts under the deal would be similar to those in 2011, according to a source.

There will also be a Church-style committee under the Judiciary panel, as previously agreed to, as well as commitments to move bills through regular order and work on a Texas border bill.

Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.), another McCarthy backer, also squashed rumors on the call that the deal included Roy being chair of the Rules Committee.

— Emily Brooks

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3802149-house-speaker-election-coverage-mccarthy-allies-hope-to-hammer-out-deal-on-day-4-of-stalemate/