Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46459 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #275 on: January 05, 2023, 07:05:12 pm »
Round 8 underway.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2023, 07:06:08 pm »

Wonder how we will keep up after 15?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:07:13 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #277 on: January 05, 2023, 07:07:48 pm »
Wonder if Gaetz' next vote goes to Pee Wee Herman.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #278 on: January 05, 2023, 07:08:24 pm »
That was a question:  why is having a speaker who was put there by democrats - with all the quid-pro-quos that implies - better than having McCarthy as speaker?

Because it would be someone of their choosing, and the payback would be greater.  Their GOP Speaker would owe them for 212 votes.  McCarthy would only owe them for 6.

And who is to say that the democrats would select a republican to nominate?  Why not select a democrat who leans far enough to the right that 5 or 6 of the most liberal republicans will vote for them as a "unity" speaker to get past the impasse?

Either way, the Democrats get someone better than McCarthy.  Whether right-leaning Dem or left-leaning GOP, the Democrats still get someone they can control.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #279 on: January 05, 2023, 07:08:36 pm »
I figure I'll just get more of the same no matter who wins. So I'm not particularly invested in this short of it being a happy surprise that there is some resistance to the uniparty.

That there is at least some chance of something positive happening verses what's been going on for the last several decades.

Offline corbe

« Reply #280 on: January 05, 2023, 07:08:58 pm »
   Who did Boebert just vote for?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #281 on: January 05, 2023, 07:09:16 pm »
Wonder how we will keep up after 15?

We'll have to settle for pics without numbers.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #282 on: January 05, 2023, 07:09:41 pm »

Seymour Butts

OK, I didn't hear it right.  She voted for Kevin Hern of Oklahoma.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:13:25 pm by Hoodat »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #283 on: January 05, 2023, 07:09:50 pm »
Because it would be someone of their choosing, and the payback would be greater.  Their GOP Speaker would owe them for 212 votes.  McCarthy would only owe them for 6.

Either way, the Democrats get someone better than McCarthy.  Whether right-leaning Dem or left-leaning GOP, the Democrats still get someone they can control.

All I'm hearing are reasons why this would be a great deal for the democrats, and a truly sucky deal for the recalcitrant 21.  I rather doubt the democrats will give them a single one of their demands, simply because it was their recalcitrance that allowed the democrats to put forward a true wolf in sheeps' clothing.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #284 on: January 05, 2023, 07:12:32 pm »

Kevin Hern (OK)
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #285 on: January 05, 2023, 07:13:43 pm »
Kevin Hern (OK)

Who is that? 

Enough of the obscurity.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #286 on: January 05, 2023, 07:17:45 pm »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #287 on: January 05, 2023, 07:17:55 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #288 on: January 05, 2023, 07:18:48 pm »
6 non GOP McCarthy votes.. 

There will be a 9th ballot.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #289 on: January 05, 2023, 07:20:32 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Hern

@Hoodat

Thanks...

Fail to see the strategy of voting for someone who has supported McCarthy since Ballot 1.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #290 on: January 05, 2023, 07:23:28 pm »
@Hoodat

Thanks...

Fail to see the strategy of voting for someone who has supported McCarthy since Ballot 1.

It's not a matter of who she is voting for.  It is a matter of who she is voting against.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2023, 07:45:15 pm »
I am in tears.  Twenty-one Republicans standing on principle, refusing to bend.  This is a beautiful moment.

I am a MAGA Republican and now a hard core Ron Desantis supporter. I deeply admire and respect President Trump and his incredible voice and accomplishments. I’ve voted Republican all my life and my conservative credentials are rock solid.

Hell, I don’t like McCarthy at all…but it wasn’t McCarthy who has handed the country to the Dems. Rather, these 20 clowns have destroyed the electoral hopes of Conservatism for a decade at least…possibly for a full generations worth of voters. Any hope for accountability, conservative legislation, and winning congress and the White House are ruined…and not just for 2024. They have essentially destroyed any belief in the credibility and competence of Conservatives and Republicans in the United States.

We must never forgive or forget…and these morons must be primaried and politically gutted from the Right.

You dip$hits have surrendered us all to the far Left. Great work…and some of you are dumb enough to celebrate the end of Conservatism in our government. And making dimwitted assertions like “Better Pelosi than McCarthy” are not declarations of principle, they simply demonstrate moronic delusion and disturbing ignorance of the political spectrum.

For my part, I am now dedicated to getting Andy Biggs primaried and removed in 2024. I’m one small voice here in AZ, but I will do all that I can to make that happen. I suspect many other conservatives will join with me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:46:57 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2023, 07:50:02 pm »
OK, folks.

If it's not to be McCarthy...
... and it's not to be Scalise...
... and it's not to be Jordan...

... then, who MIGHT it be?
Who could become "an alternative" candidate?

Who might be considered serious "conservative" (for lack of a better word) candidates to serve as the new Speaker...?

Another thought:
Suppose, just suppose, that Jordan made a statement to the effect "Although I have not and will not campaign for the Speaker's seat, if called upon by my fellow members to serve in that role I'll do so to the best of my ability".

Do you think there could then be a serious break-away of votes for Mr. Jordan?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #293 on: January 05, 2023, 07:50:57 pm »
McCarthy Votes (218 needed)

Ballot #

1- 203
2- 203
3- 202
4- 201
5- 201
6- 201
7- 201
8- 201

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #294 on: January 05, 2023, 07:53:10 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #295 on: January 05, 2023, 07:53:20 pm »
All I'm hearing are reasons why this would be a great deal for the democrats, and a truly sucky deal for the recalcitrant 21.  I rather doubt the democrats will give them a single one of their demands, simply because it was their recalcitrance that allowed the democrats to put forward a true wolf in sheeps' clothing.

At some point you have to assume most of this is personal.  When the holdouts are asked to name a candidate who can make it to 218, they don't even bother.  Then you have characters like my new congresslady (Anna Paulina Luna). 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #296 on: January 05, 2023, 07:56:49 pm »
Rep. Don Bacon 🇺🇸
@RepDonBacon
·
19m
My office was informed by an agency today that they cannot communicate with my staff regarding active casework because we are not yet sworn in! The handful holding up the speaker election is not helping Americans but directly hurting them. @GOPLeader
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2023, 07:56:56 pm »
A Primer: Kevin McCarthy’s Olive Branches to Conservatives

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/01/05/a-primer-kevin-mccarthys-olive-branches-to-conservatives/

From the article:

Rep. Warren Davidson (R-OH) outlined many of the concessions that McCarthy has given conservatives:

“Andrew Clyde’s proposal to restore public access to the Capitol”
“Lauren Boebert’s proposal to reduce the linkage between the NRCC and the steering committee process”
“Gary Palmer’s proposal to cap spending on suspension bills”
“Ralph Norman’s proposal to limit leadership reports and make conference more about engaging all members”
“Chip Roy’s proposal to provide a five-day notice for suspension votes”
“Dan Bishop’s proposal in privileged resolutions”
“Scott Perry’s proposal for additional conference meetings ahead of key votes”
“Bob Good’s proposal on stand alone appropriations bills”
“Andy Biggs’ proposal limiting suspension waivers from committees”
“Chip Roy’s proposal to make cosponsored amendments in order”

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2023, 07:58:40 pm »
A Primer: Kevin McCarthy’s Olive Branches to Conservatives

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/01/05/a-primer-kevin-mccarthys-olive-branches-to-conservatives/

Not sure what the Bloc's goal is, but they need to have an endgame. If the process can be locked down to thwart any more garbage like the Omnibus, that's a good result.

They will lose any credibility if they make this just spiteful and personal.
The Republic is lost.

Offline oldno7

« Reply #299 on: January 05, 2023, 07:59:29 pm »

I am a MAGA Republican and now a hard core Ron Desantis supporter. I deeply admire and respect President Trump and his incredible voice and accomplishments. I’ve voted Republican all my life and my conservative credentials are rock solid.

Hell, I don’t like McCarthy at all…but it wasn’t McCarthy who has handed the country to the Dems. Rather, these 20 clowns have destroyed the electoral hopes of Conservatism for a decade at least…possibly for a full generations worth of voters. Any hope for accountability, conservative legislation, and winning congress and the White House are ruined…and not just for 2024. They have essentially destroyed any belief in the credibility and competence of Conservatives and Republicans in the United States.

We must never forgive or forget…and these morons must be primaried and politically gutted from the Right.

You dip$hits have surrendered us all to the far Left. Great work…and some of you are dumb enough to celebrate the end of Conservatism in our government. And making dimwitted assertions like “Better Pelosi than McCarthy” are not declarations of principle, they simply demonstrate moronic delusion and disturbing ignorance of the political spectrum.

For my part, I am now dedicated to getting Andy Biggs primaried and removed in 2024. I’m one small voice here in AZ, but I will do all that I can to make that happen. I suspect many other conservatives will join with me.

I'm in line with most of what you said, right down to "morans".

I was thinking we need 200 more of these "morons", not "politically gutted from the right"--they ARE the right.

Status quo is the left, imo.

They aren't destroying Conservatism, they're defining it.