Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46399 times)

Online corbe

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #250 on: January 05, 2023, 06:28:59 pm »
   Will Kevin want to adjourn now?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2023, 06:29:39 pm »
    Thanks @catfish1957

If the trend holds, McCarthy will be down to his last 4 standing.  August 11th.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2023, 06:30:35 pm »
   Will Kevin want to adjourn now?

C-Span thinks he does, but the dims have him by the testicles and want to draw this out for dramatic effect.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #253 on: January 05, 2023, 06:30:44 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2023, 06:32:33 pm »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2023, 06:35:57 pm »
Why won’t he be able to cut a deal with the democrats?

McCarthy would be willing.  It is the Democrats that would take a pass on him for something better.

And if he doesn’t, and the democrats peel off a couple of GOP votes for their own choice, is that choice going to be preferable to McCarthy?

Yes.  There are Republicans out there that have much bigger skeletons in their closets than McCarthy.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2023, 06:37:08 pm »
If I were Byron I'd meet with my bloc of votes as to what they want, and negotiate directly with McCarthy. He's going to be a future leader, he can dip his toe now.

It's ok if Gaetz and 3 or 4 others hold out, just to remind them this is only the skirmish on a long war.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2023, 06:38:37 pm »
I am in tears.  Twenty-one Republicans standing on principle, refusing to bend.  This is a beautiful moment.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2023, 06:40:04 pm »
I am in tears.  Twenty-one Republicans standing on principle, refusing to bend.  This is a beautiful moment.

Yup.  McCarthy didn't pick up one vote in all of these rounds of voting.  Something has to give.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #259 on: January 05, 2023, 06:40:06 pm »
Over/Under on the number of Chairmenships McCarthy offers to the dims to broker a deal?

He obviously won't be getting to the 218 with the vitriol flowing now.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2023, 06:43:54 pm »

I heard a Rep say earlier that there were 6 or 7 members who hated McCarthy's guts and would never vote for him no matter what.  As stated earlier, a degree of humility would go a long way here.  Give up the concessions, apologize to the 6 or 7, and he will eventually get the votes.  Six or seven Republicans won't hold this up forever.  But 20 will.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2023, 06:45:38 pm »
Over/Under on the number of Chairmenships McCarthy offers to the dims to broker a deal?

How rich that would be. Make it like pulling hens teeth to give up anything to Conservatives, but just hand over to the Rats and end up worse.

And I think he might be that desperate.
The Republic is lost.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #262 on: January 05, 2023, 06:47:00 pm »
How rich that would be. Make it like pulling hens teeth to give up anything to Conservatives, but just hand over to the Rats and end up worse.

And I think he might be that desperate.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2023, 06:47:19 pm »
I heard a Rep say earlier that there were 6 or 7 members who hated McCarthy's guts and would never vote for him no matter what.  As stated earlier, a degree of humility would go a long way here.  Give up the concessions, apologize to the 6 or 7, and he will eventually get the votes.  Six or seven Republicans won't hold this up forever.  But 20 will.

They need to put the personal animus aside, both sides, and work to an endgame. This is about strategy, not vendettas.

This is the first battle of a long war. They'll still have leverage with such a narrow majority.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2023, 06:47:35 pm »
Next nominating speech tactic...

Guilt the 20......

Like that's gonna help.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2023, 06:48:33 pm »
Questioning their patriotism? Oh that will get them to change votes.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2023, 06:49:04 pm »
Haven't been keeping up ...

He lost again?
Number 7 this time?

Can we get loss number 8 today?
How about number 9 ??

(Kudos to those members of the House who continue to "stand hard". Reminds me of something that Ben Franklin once said...)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2023, 06:49:50 pm »

Democrats won't make a deal with McCarthy.

But the Democrats might well go for someone like Justin Amash, who apparently is in the building.  Peel off 5 moderate Republicans, and they've got a "neutral" Speaker.  Something like that could come out of nowhere, too.  Dem gets up, nominated Amash, and then the vote starts.  5 Republicans jump ship, and it's over.

Victory for Gaetz' crew, I suppose, because they'd succeed in stopping McCarthy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:57:30 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #268 on: January 05, 2023, 06:52:34 pm »
Katherine Clark reminds me of every single liberal woman I’ve ever met.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Kamaji

« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2023, 06:56:23 pm »
McCarthy would be willing.  It is the Democrats that would take a pass on him for something better.

Yes.  There are Republicans out there that have much bigger skeletons in their closets than McCarthy.

Why is that preferable to having McCarthy as speaker?  If there is someone with more skeletons, the democrats will certainly know about them as well, and will offer as a quid-pro-quo to keep the lid on them; their fellow travelers in the MSM will help.

Is that really a viable option?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2023, 06:58:46 pm »
Democrats won't make a deal with McCarthy.

But the Democrats might well go for someone like Justin Amash, who apparently is in the building.  Peel off 5 moderate Republicans, and they've got a "neutral" Speaker.  Something like that could come out of nowhere, too.  Dem gets up, nominated Amash, and then the vote starts.  5 Republicans jump ship, and it's over.

Victory for Gaetz' crew, I suppose, because they succeed in stopping McCarthy.

Kinzinger and Cheney are gone.  They got the message.  LMAO that you think 5 more in the GOP would commit the same kind of political suicide.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2023, 06:59:09 pm »
Why is that preferable to having McCarthy as speaker?

For the Democrats, yes.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2023, 07:01:21 pm »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2023, 07:02:55 pm »
Nice job by Biggs countering the last McCarthy hysteric desperation speech.

McCarthy is running out of tactics...

Online Kamaji

« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2023, 07:03:06 pm »
For the Democrats, yes.

That was a question:  why is having a speaker who was put there by democrats - with all the quid-pro-quos that implies - better than having McCarthy as speaker?

And who is to say that the democrats would select a republican to nominate?  Why not select a democrat who leans far enough to the right that 5 or 6 of the most liberal republicans will vote for them as a "unity" speaker to get past the impasse?  Is that preferable to having McCarthy as speaker?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:04:29 pm by Kamaji »