Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 46405 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2023, 05:56:42 pm »
So, what is the end-game here?  Is a democrat speaker, or one beholden to the democrats, really preferable?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2023, 05:58:32 pm »
House Speaker election....  Day 3

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2023, 05:59:53 pm »
Freakin' Gaetz.  What an AH.

Can't really blame him.  It's not like he's gonna get kicked off any committees.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2023, 06:00:21 pm »
So, what is the end-game here?  Is a democrat speaker, or one beholden to the democrats, really preferable?

I personally don't care who the speaker is so long as the RULES get fixed so that the speaker cannot be a dictator.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2023, 06:00:55 pm »

I think we're getting to a point where the does need to be an end game, but I can't say where and when that should be without knowing what's been agreed to.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2023, 06:01:30 pm »
Can't really blame him.  It's not like he's gonna get kicked off any committees.

I know.  Already a clown car show and besides McCarthy he's wearing the biggest nose.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2023, 06:01:40 pm »
I personally don't care who the speaker is so long as the RULES get fixed so that the speaker cannot be a dictator.

And that will happen if McCarthy cuts a deal with the democrats?  Or if a democrat becomes the speaker?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2023, 06:02:41 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2023, 06:03:15 pm »
And that will happen if McCarthy cuts a deal with the democrats?  Or if a democrat becomes the speaker?
Oh! Hell no! And I never said it would.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2023, 06:05:16 pm »
Oh! Hell no! And I never said it would.

So, at this point, what is more likely:  that McCarthy will agree to handcuffs, and all the other demands of the holdouts, or that he will cut a deal with the democrats?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2023, 06:07:12 pm »
Rogan O’Handley
@DC_Draino
·
47m
My sources are telling me Kevin McCarthy will not get the votes today

I don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes, but the negotiations seem to be getting worse not better

Deadlock is hardening

McCarthy has no shot anytime soon
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2023, 06:07:30 pm »
So, at this point, what is more likely:  that McCarthy will agree to handcuffs, and all the other demands of the holdouts, or that he will cut a deal with the democrats?

I don't know. But as I said days ago, McCarthy WILL be speaker even if he has to cut a deal with Democrats to get there. That's just how he rolls.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:10:58 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

« Reply #237 on: January 05, 2023, 06:08:08 pm »

McCarthy won't be able to cut a deal with Democrats.  More likely, Democrats will be able to find six other Republicans to support another GOP Rep that they have more dirt on.

The bigger question is why McCarthy refuses to cut a deal with Conservatives.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2023, 06:09:22 pm »
McCarthy won't be able to cut a deal with Democrats.  More likely, Democrats will be able to find six other Republicans to support another GOP Rep that they have more dirt on.

The bigger question is why McCarthy refuses to cut a deal with Conservatives.

Why won’t he be able to cut a deal with the democrats?

And if he doesn’t, and the democrats peel off a couple of GOP votes for their own choice, is that choice going to be preferable to McCarthy?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:10:52 pm by Kamaji »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2023, 06:10:40 pm »

From all reports and internals it appears McCarthy has made substantial concessions, not the least of which is a vacate the chair vote at the request of one.

My fear is the center-left Republicans are going to get really pissed off if the twenty are still adding to their list of demands.  It only takes six of them to vote with the democrats ------ and not only do we lose the House management, but the Freedom Caucus won't even be included in the Congressional newsletter.

Online corbe

« Reply #240 on: January 05, 2023, 06:17:41 pm »
   So Donalds lost 1 vote to Trump (Gaetz).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #241 on: January 05, 2023, 06:18:53 pm »
   Geatz just voted for Trump

Of course he did.  Because it's all just theater and a big joke to him.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #242 on: January 05, 2023, 06:18:56 pm »
Wow, the Gang of 20 held again...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #243 on: January 05, 2023, 06:19:17 pm »

Online corbe

« Reply #244 on: January 05, 2023, 06:19:54 pm »
   Did McCarthy gain a vote from the last time?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #245 on: January 05, 2023, 06:22:24 pm »
Of course he did.  Because it's all just theater and a big joke to him.

Yep, and damage of the credibilty of the "20".

I support the "20", but Gaetz needs to attuned to optics of the matter.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #246 on: January 05, 2023, 06:24:13 pm »

Looks like he lost one.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #247 on: January 05, 2023, 06:25:32 pm »

McCarthy Votes (218 needed)

Ballot #

1- 203
2- 203
3- 202
4- 201
5- 201
6- 201
7- 201

:thud:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:27:37 pm by catfish1957 »

Online corbe

« Reply #248 on: January 05, 2023, 06:27:03 pm »
    Thanks @catfish1957

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #249 on: January 05, 2023, 06:28:19 pm »
McCarthy Votes (218 needed)

Ballot #

1- 203
2- 203
3- 202
4- 201
5- 201
6- 201
7- 201