Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 45486 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #1575 on: October 04, 2023, 01:57:01 pm »
Gaetz wastes no time criticizing the new interim speaker for ‘moving in the wrong direction’
October 4, 2023 | Kevin Haggerty

After leading the ouster of the House speaker, Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz (R) had “sharp criticism” for the first moves from the stand-in: “That’s moving in the wrong direction.”

With a vote of 216-210, Californian Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R) became a former speaker of the House following a motion to vacate brought by his colleague from Florida. Pursuant to House Rules, North Carolina Rep. Patrick McHenry (R) was handed the gavel Tuesday to act as speaker pro tempore, a role he used to dismiss the lower chamber until the following week.

“I do have to offer some pretty sharp criticism of the new pro tem of the House, Patrick McHenry,” Gaetz told NewmaxTV host Eric Bolling. “We met tonight and he sent us home until Tuesday of next week, Eric.”

“We should be here tomorrow working to elect a new speaker, getting onto our appropriations bills, and engaging in a negotiation with the Senate to get the government funded,” the congressman continued on “The Balance.”

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/10/04/gaetz-wastes-no-time-criticizing-the-new-interim-speaker-for-moving-in-the-wrong-direction-1401366/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1576 on: October 04, 2023, 02:00:55 pm »
@sneakypete - to be a professional I'd need to be paid ... this is just a hobby.

@DefiantMassRINO

I luv @sneakypete    but that's funny!  :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #1577 on: October 04, 2023, 02:02:31 pm »
Does Speaker pay anything? Because it seems like the worse job in Washington DC.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1578 on: October 04, 2023, 03:36:31 pm »
“I do have to offer some pretty sharp criticism of the new pro tem of the House, Patrick McHenry,” Gaetz told NewmaxTV host Eric Bolling. “We met tonight and he sent us home until Tuesday of next week, Eric.”

“We should be here tomorrow working to elect a new speaker, getting onto our appropriations bills, and engaging in a negotiation with the Senate to get the government funded,” the congressman continued on “The Balance.”

Gaetz is right.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 03:37:20 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1579 on: October 04, 2023, 04:06:03 pm »
The vast majority of the GOP caucus no longer has any reason to care what Gaetz says about anything.

Unintended consequences and all that....

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1582 on: October 04, 2023, 05:59:26 pm »

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1709344183087948262

Congratulations, Mr. Gaetz.  Good work.  I'm sure the check from the DNC will clear in a few days.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1583 on: October 04, 2023, 06:07:49 pm »
Congratulations, Mr. Gaetz.  Good work.  I'm sure the check from the DNC will clear in a few days.

@Kamaji please explain to me how the American people and our country benefited under the leadership of Boehner, Ryan and McCarthy?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #1584 on: October 04, 2023, 06:21:44 pm »
@Kamaji please explain to me how the American people and our country benefited under the leadership of Boehner, Ryan and McCarthy?

Would you have preferred the House been Democrat though? Especially during Obama's tenure?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1585 on: October 04, 2023, 06:24:51 pm »
Would you have preferred the House been Democrat though?

Clearly sees no difference.  Not really much to discuss if that's the case.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1586 on: October 04, 2023, 06:26:12 pm »

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1709344183087948262

Kind of hope he gets it.  Would be a blast to watch the fireworks on our side.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1587 on: October 04, 2023, 06:34:51 pm »
Would you have preferred the House been Democrat though? Especially during Obama's tenure?

Of course not. That however wasn't my question -- what did the American people or the Republican Congress gain under Boehner, Ryan and McCarthy's leadership?  They caved on just about everything and the DEMS got what they wanted.  We need conservative leadership in the House and not someone who is going to side with the liberals.

Looking at it from a different perspective the Republicans had a full majority in the House, Senate and White House for several years, yet because of poor leadership the DEMS got what they wanted. That poor leadership isn't just limited to the House but that goes for the Senate as well. 

So ... we continue the statues quo because they have an 'R' next to their names???  Sure we can do that, but again, IF we don't get spending under control and IF we don't secure our border, our Republic will be completely destroyed.  They are now in the process of completely dismantling our country.  Either we try to fight back or we continue to let them win as they have been. 

Gee if only the GOP would unite and pushback against the DEMS and actually stand for something this country might have a chance.  No, we continue to allow the DEMS to control whether we have the majority or not.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1588 on: October 04, 2023, 07:06:11 pm »

As opposed to being under Pelosi, and likely Jeffries now - while the GOP technically has the majority in the House?  Is that really an improvement, or are conservatives and republicans so far gone now that they'd prefer to be in the minority, out of control, so they can howl at the Moon in impotence?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1589 on: October 04, 2023, 07:06:41 pm »
Kind of hope he gets it.  Would be a blast to watch the fireworks on our side.

Are you joining the blow-it-up crowd now, too?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1590 on: October 04, 2023, 09:29:37 pm »

I think those Republicans - both elected and unelected -  that demand a non-conservative House majority vote conservative need a reality check.  And we're going to keep on with this functionality until they do.

So, I'm hoping that whatever Republican is elected Speaker (my preference) makes no concessions/promises to anyone.  Take the New Speaker as they are, or don't take them at all.  And I don't want to see those who blew up the House profit from this by getting one of their own FC buddies as Speaker.  I like Jordan, but not this way. 

So, I'd sooner see tossed it to the Dems than see either of those things happen.  Speakership or not, the Dems would still be in the minority when it came to voting on legislation.

Don't let the bullies win..Rule #1.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 09:32:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1591 on: October 04, 2023, 09:30:57 pm »
I think those Republicans - both elected and unelected -  that demand a non-conservative House majority vote conservative need a reality check.

So, I'm hoping that whomever is elected Speaker makes no concessions to anyone.  Take them as they are, or don't take them at all.  And I don't want to see those who blew up the House profit from this by getting one of their own FC buddies as Speaker.  I like Jordan, but not this way. 

So, I'd sooner see tossed it to the Dems than see either of those things happen.  Speakership or not, the Dems would still be in the minority when it came to voting on legislation. 

Well, there I would differ from you.  I do not wish to see the Speakership go to the democrats, under any circumstances.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1592 on: October 04, 2023, 09:33:46 pm »

I think a lot of us, saw McCarthy as a traitor in the his deeds the past 9 months, and wanted him canned. 

No sane person thinks this was a good idea under yesterday's  circumstances.  The 8 ousters did not have a "Plan B" as smart money would have waited until January '25, and then show him the door.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1593 on: October 04, 2023, 09:54:04 pm »
As opposed to being under Pelosi, and likely Jeffries now - while the GOP technically has the majority in the House?  Is that really an improvement, or are conservatives and republicans so far gone now that they'd prefer to be in the minority, out of control, so they can howl at the Moon in impotence?

You still didn't answer my question; how did Americans benefit under Boehner, Ryan and McCarthy? They didn't because all 3 caved to the DEMS and gave them what they wanted even they they had the majority under their heels.  So, that's ok with you, because hey at least the have an 'R' next to their name?

Conservatives and Republicans expecting those they voted for and their leaders to at least bring something to the table instead of allowing the DEMS to continue to rule when they are in the minority isn't howling at the moon.

Likely Jeffries remains to be seen.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1594 on: October 04, 2023, 10:00:25 pm »
I think a lot of us, saw McCarthy as a traitor in the his deeds the past 9 months, and wanted him canned. 

No sane person thinks this was a good idea under yesterday's  circumstances.  The 8 ousters did not have a "Plan B" as smart money would have waited until January '25, and then show him the door.

I was surprised and the timing of McCarthy being thrown out wasn't ideal with at least some plan in place once he vacated his seat.  No plans other than ousting him was a terrible step.  But, when would the timing be right?  After the DEMS gets what they want yet again and/or the GOP kicks the can down the road once again?

I'm hoping for the best and see perhaps a fraction of some glimmer of hope.  Best case scenario is someone is seated with a shred of integrity that's going to benefit the GOP and America.  Worst case scenario is a DEM is seated.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1595 on: October 04, 2023, 10:08:35 pm »
You still didn't answer my question; how did Americans benefit under Boehner, Ryan and McCarthy? They didn't because all 3 caved to the DEMS and gave them what they wanted even they they had the majority under their heels.  So, that's ok with you, because hey at least the have an 'R' next to their name?

Conservatives and Republicans expecting those they voted for and their leaders to at least bring something to the table instead of allowing the DEMS to continue to rule when they are in the minority isn't howling at the moon.

If we had a bigger majority I would agree. As I see it...anybody that is appointed will face the same issues as McCarthy. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. But as splintered as the GOP is, I don't see it.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:43:25 pm by berdie »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1596 on: October 04, 2023, 10:13:23 pm »
We could easily have President Harris by next week.

@Bigun

And the left will be ecstatic with joy because they will have a retarded black female for a candidate,instead of a senile old,crooked,white fool and thief.

So will a lot of TBR posters because even Trump might have a hard time beating a black female,even a retarded  one,in the political atmosphere of today. Her running would get every black in America with a heartbeat,and thousands who do have a heartbeat,voting for her.

It will be stoopid instead of senile,and a major victory for the left.

Aslo,all she will be is a vote magnet without double-digit IQ,and even easier for the Masters of the Left to control than Slow Joe because he would forget what he was supposed to do before he left the room.

And the anti-Trumpers will be orgasmic because even Trump might not be able to beat a black female in the reality of the crooked politics and ballot box stuffing of today.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:21:37 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1597 on: October 04, 2023, 10:31:46 pm »
You still didn't answer my question; how did Americans benefit under Boehner, Ryan and McCarthy?

In Ryan's case, he pushed through major tax reform that we never would have gotten under a Democratic House.  The biggest GOP legislative achievement since Reagan.

It is more difficult to point to "what we got" under Speakers like Boehner and McCarthy who only served under Democratic Presidents AND only had a Democrat Senate as well.  Can't really pass any conservative legislation that way.

The best thing you can do in that case is compare it to what those Democrats did when they had control of all of Congress.   So in the first two years of Obama's first term when he had control of both Houses of Congress, that got us Obamacare.  Horrible.

After that, Democrats tried to push through amnesty for illegals, but the Republican House stopped it when a Democratic House would have passed it.  Same thing happened under Ryan - Obama tried amnesty and failed.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:44:29 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1598 on: October 04, 2023, 10:36:00 pm »

They benefitted because the House wasn’t led by the democrats.  Whatever you may think of the bills that passed, it would have been worse under the democrats.

And as far as making things better:  that got scotched by the same hardliners who just ousted McCarthy, and they aren’t in a position to deliver anything other than, at best, what was being done under McCarthy, and may in fact have subjected us to much worse by having delivered the House back to the democrats.

Gaetz was paid by the democrats, for all the good his stunt has accomplished. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:36:50 pm by Kamaji »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1599 on: October 04, 2023, 10:40:49 pm »
Gaetz is right.

I am not a Gaetz/MAGA fan... but to the extent that McCarthy did not keep his word, then his word is no good... And then I am alright with Gaetz.