Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 44383 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #1500 on: January 09, 2023, 07:55:41 pm »
The way we increase our share of the vote is to show people that we can act responsibly in accordance with our priority of limiting government.  Deliberately steering the train off the tracks to derail things because "doing nothing is good" does the opposite.  We'll lose the swing voters necessary to expand our majority, and we'll never get where we want to go.

Pass those 12 bills, and show it can be done.  Be willing to make reasonable compromises to hold the GOP majority together.  Cut out the over the top rhetoric that bothers that huge segment of the electorate that doesn't follow politics obsessively like we do.  Capitalize on the issues where voters agree with us without sounding like we're just looking to antagonize.  Expand the majority.

The Freedom Caucus has to recognize that once the Speaker is elected, they are no longer the key swing block.  So their goal should be to try to mend fences with those at the other end of the GOP spectrum in Congress, because they are the ones that are going to determine what actually gets passed.  Gaetz' spoiled brat aura won't play well with most people, and is going to lose conservatives support rather the gain it.

Fighting hard isn't enough. We have to fight smart.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I think that is asking too much for a lot of people. Many people,including some posters here seem to be more interested in ranting and raving about personalities than actually working towards a "fix".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DB

« Reply #1501 on: January 09, 2023, 08:00:02 pm »
To nearly this day there's been no fight at all.

That is the point.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1502 on: January 09, 2023, 08:04:07 pm »
They'd have been big fans of Burnside's tactics at Fredericksburg.

Offline DB

« Reply #1503 on: January 09, 2023, 08:05:23 pm »
A small group fighting the establishment with a little success might be contagious.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1504 on: January 09, 2023, 08:07:22 pm »
A small group fighting the establishment with a little success might be contagious.

I’m hoping their courage will spread to my weak-kneed, mamby-pamby, spineless congressman.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1505 on: January 09, 2023, 08:11:32 pm »
I’m hoping their courage will spread to my weak-kneed, mamby-pamby, spineless congressman.

:yowsa: I'm betting on that happening!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1506 on: January 09, 2023, 08:25:48 pm »

Thankfully my Congressman is Paul Gosar.  I like AZ's new guy a lot, Eli Crane!  3 of our guys are part of "The Twenty."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1507 on: January 09, 2023, 08:36:40 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

I think that is asking too much for a lot of people. Many people,including some posters here seem to be more interested in ranting and raving about personalities than actually working towards a "fix".

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1508 on: January 09, 2023, 08:39:23 pm »
As usual, you're confused.  I never said I was against the Freedom Caucus trying to get some concessions, and some were given before the voting started.  I was against the all-or nothing crapfest it turned into, and in particular, to how a bratty Matt Gaetz turned it into his own personal vendetta.

I don't really know how to be more clear on this.  There were some rules changes I support, and some I opposed both during the process and now.  I've been very consistent on that.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I may be in error there and got you confused with other posters during the heat of the 15-round battle royale.  My sincere apologies, sir.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1509 on: January 09, 2023, 08:41:10 pm »
They'd have been big fans of Burnside's tactics at Fredericksburg.

Hush yo' mouth!   Burnside was a Yankee.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1510 on: January 09, 2023, 08:55:58 pm »
Hush yo' mouth!   Burnside was a Yankee.

@Hoodat

You misspelled "mouf".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1511 on: January 09, 2023, 09:02:42 pm »
@Hoodat

You misspelled "mouf".

I stand corrected.   Thank you, suh.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1512 on: January 09, 2023, 09:07:46 pm »
To nearly this day there's been no fight at all.

That is the point.

That is the point. This is more of a sea-change than all of Tump. This is a SERIOUS win. And a hill to die on... BECAUSE it allows the fight. Whether that turns into what is hoped for remains to be seen, But now the possible is possible.

And that has not been true in a long time.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1513 on: January 09, 2023, 09:40:04 pm »
Regardless of any changes to the Rules, this House was going to be more conservative than the last because Pelosi/Jeffries aren't in charge.  The question is how much more conservative.  If you want maximum conservative results and not just maximum conservative posturing, we're going to need to see a much more flexible Freedom Caucus than we just saw because majorities can be formed without them.  Is their priority going to be passing the most conservative bills that can be passed, or just being inflexible so they can campaign on "standing strong", regardless of what actually ends up passing?

That is going to be the key to whether or not this whole thing works.

Well said @Maj. Bill Martin  ----- and worth repeating.

« Reply #1514 on: January 09, 2023, 09:50:08 pm »
I never said I was against the Freedom Caucus trying to get some concessions, and some were given before the voting started.  I was against the all-or nothing crapfest it turned into, and in particular, to how a bratty Matt Gaetz turned it into his own personal vendetta.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #1515 on: January 09, 2023, 10:10:37 pm »
Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

GOP KY Rep Comer on Fox: I don't believe that they'll ever be any serious threat to Kevin McCarthy’s Speakership. If Kevin McCarthy ever did something so bad that there would be a threat to him vacating the chair, I think we would meet as a conference.

Comer: We would iron it out and, you know, take action accordingly as a conference. But there may there may be one person abuse that on either side of the aisle. But I'm confident Kevin McCarthy will be Speaker for the next two years.

12:07 PM · Jan 9, 2023

« Reply #1516 on: January 09, 2023, 10:15:41 pm »
Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

On Fox, GOP Rep Good says “we ought to eliminate all spending that deals with climate radicalism” and “CRT.” Says “even the military should not be getting a blank check.”

On Fox, GOP VA Rep Good says GOPers “have got to be willing use” a gov’t shutdown “as leverage” to reduce spending. Says Hse must “be willing” to threaten a gov’t shutdown

4:20 PM · Jan 9, 2023

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1517 on: January 09, 2023, 10:23:14 pm »
On Fox, GOP VA Rep Good says GOPers “have got to be willing use” a gov’t shutdown “as leverage” to reduce spending. Says Hse must “be willing” to threaten a gov’t shutdown

He's right.  Democrats never miss an opportunity to threaten a gov't shutdown to get what they want.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1518 on: January 09, 2023, 10:25:39 pm »
Nothing should get a blank check! Ever!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1519 on: January 09, 2023, 10:26:48 pm »

Just to be "that guy", I will point out that the photo is literally correct: the word, "Nothing", is indeed written in stone in that picture.
Let it burn.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1520 on: January 09, 2023, 10:53:38 pm »
Thank you for pointing that out.  My life is changed forever.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1521 on: January 09, 2023, 10:56:29 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

I may be in error there and got you confused with other posters during the heat of the 15-round battle royale.  My sincere apologies, sir.

:thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1522 on: January 09, 2023, 11:00:24 pm »
Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

On Fox, GOP Rep Good says “we ought to eliminate all spending that deals with climate radicalism” and “CRT.” Says “even the military should not be getting a blank check.”

4:20 PM · Jan 9, 2023

I don't disagree with that, but you've got to ensure you have 218 votes lined up who are willing to go to mat on that particular issue before you do it.  And if you overuse that threat, you won't hold the caucus together.

Just have to be smart about it, and pick issues where public opinion will be on your side as much as possible.

« Reply #1523 on: January 09, 2023, 11:01:24 pm »
Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

House now in session debating rules package for 118th Congress. These are key provisions which the GOP needs to run the House. The House had been scheduled to vote on the package in the early hours of Saturday morning

5:43 PM · Jan 9, 2023

« Reply #1524 on: January 09, 2023, 11:02:01 pm »
I don't disagree with that, but you've got to ensure you have 218 votes lined up who are willing to go to mat on that particular issue before you do it.  And if you overuse that threat, you won't hold the caucus together.

Just have to be smart about it, and pick issues where public opinion will be on your side as much as possible.

Agree.