Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 45480 times)

Offline Mesaclone

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #1425 on: January 08, 2023, 04:12:24 pm »
I'm absolutely no fan of Trump at all, but it is certainly possible that his continued pressure was one of the factors that led the FC to agree to that deal in the end.

But it's also true that he was not responsible at all for the FC getting any concessions.

Why don’t we all just call it a win-win and move forward.  This argument had to happen, but it never should have happened on the House floor. Where it would end was rather obvious and we should all willing to blame both the McCarthy Faction AND the FC for failing to resolve this behind closed doors. Not OK the way it went down, and going to be very costly in our next election cycle…but all Republicans can do now is go on the attack through these committees and via legislation. That requires unity of purpose so it’s time for everyone to end the family fight and man the barricades…because the horde is coming for us all.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 04:14:35 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #1426 on: January 08, 2023, 04:17:09 pm »
@Mesaclone

Why are you defending Trump?

Don't you know he is both rich and rude????

Not to mention orange.
Silly me!
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1427 on: January 08, 2023, 04:20:58 pm »
Why don’t we all just call it a win-win and move forward.  This argument had to happen, but it never should have happened on the House floor. Where it would end was rather obvious and we should all willing to blame both the McCarthy Faction AND the FC for failing to resolve this behind closed doors. Not OK the way it went down, and going to be very costly in our next election cycle…but all Republicans can do now is go on the attack through these committees and via legislation. That requires unity of purpose so it’s time for everyone to end the family fight and man the barricades…because the horde is coming for us all.

:thumbsup:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1428 on: January 08, 2023, 04:21:45 pm »

Nah. a clear win, and a clear capitulation. And I fervently hope the FC uses those concessions to obstruct everything coming from both sides. Screw 'ending the family fight'. Because your horde is made up of BOTH parties... And the best way to stop them now is to f*** up everything. Lock it up so bad them sonsabiches can't move nothing, and can't spend nothing. Suits me fine.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1429 on: January 08, 2023, 04:29:06 pm »
Nah. a clear win, and a clear capitulation. And I fervently hope the FC uses those concessions to obstruct everything coming from both sides. Screw 'ending the family fight'. Because your horde is made up of BOTH parties... And the best way to stop them now is to f*** up everything. Lock it up so bad them sonsabiches can't move nothing, and can't spend nothing. Suits me fine.

All this "win-win" "rah rah rah" stuff is contingent on McCarthy being able to be trusted.   **nononono*
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 04:48:42 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1430 on: January 08, 2023, 04:36:02 pm »
All this "win-win" "rah rah rah" stuff is contingent on McCarthy able to be trusted.   **nononono*

Conservative 101: NONE of them can be trusted - And least of all, those that control the power... And least among them, McCarthy and MurderTurdle.

Damn straight you don't trust em. And hold their feet right IN the fire, Every minute of every day, because you already know damnwell they ain't going to do your bidding otherwise.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1431 on: January 08, 2023, 04:39:47 pm »
Nah. a clear win, and a clear capitulation. And I fervently hope the FC uses those concessions to obstruct everything coming from both sides.
If that is their goal, they will fail miserably because they don't have the votes to obstruct everything indefinitely.  And when the dam breaks, the result will be worse than if they'd been willing to settle for something less that complete obstruction.

And I know the response will be "well, at least they would have tried."

As if that actually matters.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1432 on: January 08, 2023, 04:49:11 pm »
If that is their goal, they will fail miserably because they don't have the votes to obstruct everything indefinitely.  And when the dam breaks, the result will be worse than if they'd been willing to settle for something less that complete obstruction.

TWENTY FRIGGIN TRILLION DOLLARS passed by a Republican House, and Republican senate, and signed by a Republican president. Lying mealymouth sonsabiches.

Anything they can do to obstruct that will be a favor.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1433 on: January 08, 2023, 05:57:40 pm »
I have not been able to 100% monitor this fast moving thread.  Can somebody please tell me what "FC" means?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #1434 on: January 08, 2023, 06:02:32 pm »
I have not been able to 100% monitor this fast moving thread.  Can somebody please tell me what "FC" means?

Freedom caucus?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1435 on: January 08, 2023, 06:09:51 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1436 on: January 08, 2023, 06:19:03 pm »

:thumbsup:

That was my gripe with this. It should have been done behind closed doors. It's generally not wise to air divisions and weakness to the people who want to defeat you.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1437 on: January 08, 2023, 06:20:53 pm »
Conservative 101: NONE of them can be trusted - And least of all, those that control the power... And least among them, McCarthy and MurderTurdle.

Damn straight you don't trust em. And hold their feet right IN the fire, Every minute of every day, because you already know damnwell they ain't going to do your bidding otherwise.

NONE can be trusted is a cold, hard fact.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1438 on: January 08, 2023, 06:21:08 pm »
TWENTY FRIGGIN TRILLION DOLLARS passed by a Republican House, and Republican senate, and signed by a Republican president. Lying mealymouth sonsabiches.

Anything they can do to obstruct that will be a favor.

If they "obstruct" it for a couple of weeks into October, and then an even larger spending bill ends of passing, that's a loss.  I mean, it's a loss of the country.  It may not be a loss for the political fortunes of the holdouts who will pander for votes by saying they held firm, and it was everyone else's fault.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1439 on: January 08, 2023, 06:41:10 pm »
If they "obstruct" it for a couple of weeks into October, and then an even larger spending bill ends of passing, that's a loss.  I mean, it's a loss of the country.  It may not be a loss for the political fortunes of the holdouts who will pander for votes by saying they held firm, and it was everyone else's fault.

So you are *for* the 'goes along gets along solution', even though they are spending more than we make. They are putting your grandchildren in debt even as we speak.

But you were NOT for fighting for concessions... And now that those hard fought concessions have been won, you council against USING THEM.

When has anything ever been won with such timidity?

*SMH*

Offline DB

« Reply #1440 on: January 08, 2023, 06:46:25 pm »

You are already defeated before you started. The spending madness is rapidly destroying the country. It is going to consume everything. And no one is even attempting to put on the brakes.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1441 on: January 08, 2023, 06:53:19 pm »

:beer: :seeya:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1442 on: January 08, 2023, 07:09:28 pm »
So you are *for* the 'goes along gets along solution', even though they are spending more than we make. They are putting your grandchildren in debt even as we speak.

I'm for the approach that results in the most conservative spending possible being enacted.  That is NOT what is going to happen if the FC refuses to compromise on anything and insists on 100% of its agenda.

But you were NOT for fighting for concessions... And now that those hard fought concessions have been won, you council against USING THEM.

Not true.  I was in favor of fighting for some of the concessions -- the committee on FBI/CIA, for example.  I do think the insistence on meaningless votes for terms limits and a balanced budget was stupid, and a complete waste of time.  I don't like all off the new rules, and I absolutely did not like how Gaetz went public with a bunch of personal attacks.  The tactics were crappy.

When has anything ever been won with such timidity?

When has anything ever been won with stupidity?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 07:10:18 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1443 on: January 08, 2023, 07:13:16 pm »
You are already defeated before you started. The spending madness is rapidly destroying the country. It is going to consume everything. And no one is even attempting to put on the brakes.

So you think a block of 30 can dictate the results in a body of 425?  Not going to happen.

What they can do is push for the most conservative agenda for which 218 votes can be mustered, which is going to mean they won't get everything they want, and are going to have to make some concessions to some other members of the GOP.

Because if they don't, and just hang on to absolutist positions of refusing to compromise on anything, the most liberal members of the GOP caucus will end up cutting deals with the Democrats rather than the conservatives, and that will be a worse deal.

And I really hope that doesn't happen, but I see very little chance that it doesn't.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 07:53:04 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bilo

« Reply #1444 on: January 08, 2023, 08:18:03 pm »

The path we were on sure wasn't working!

The victory I see out of this is not only rules being changed, but we have 20 Pubs who are willing to fight for us! It's been a long time since I could say that.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #1445 on: January 08, 2023, 08:20:24 pm »

The harsh reality is that when the dollar stops being the world's reserve currency we will be broke and we won't be able to pay our debts.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1446 on: January 08, 2023, 08:21:13 pm »

@Maj. Bill Martin

Who do you think you  are to come on this board and start making sense?????

Why,ah outta report yew fer trubilmaking!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1447 on: January 08, 2023, 08:22:27 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

The first thing that comes to MY mind is "Bleep Canada!"

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1448 on: January 08, 2023, 08:23:11 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

The first thing that comes to MY mind is "Bleep Canada!"

Mine too....
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1449 on: January 08, 2023, 08:27:04 pm »

@berdie

Not true. ANY of them can be trusted if the voters would hold their feet to the fire and PROMISE they they will lose their offices/positions unless they "toe the line".

The people most at fault in this clusterbiden are "we,the voters" because we let them get away with this crap if they just support one bill that benefits US.

We need to look past "Me,me,ME,DAMMIT!",and start paying some serious attention to "US,US,US,DAMMIT!" or there is going to be no "US". All the power is going to belong to "THEM",and I can guarantee you that 99 percent of you ain't gonna like it.