Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live Thread #congress #speaker #house #vote  (Read 11793 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: House Speaker Vote Live Thread #congress #speaker #house #vote
« Reply #250 on: January 04, 2023, 01:51:27 am »
Now McCarthy is damaged goods. It's clear he doesn't have the clout to keep the Pub conference in line on big things. Hopefully tomorrow he will step aside and throw his support to Jim Jordan. It's not hard to see that those that were threatened are not going to turn around and trust him now.

It won't be Jordan. It won't be to the right wing... Though I wish it were so.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #251 on: January 04, 2023, 01:57:34 am »
I found the whole spectacle embarrassing...watching the Dems laughing at each nomination and all chanting Hakeem Hakeem Hakeem....talk about a shit show...I'll say it again..the Repubs had since Nov 8th to pick the Speaker....unbelievable!

Don't let the theater of it all undermine what happened here today. This resounded through the halls of power and got them shaking worse than anything else that has happened in decades. This was the fat finger of rebellion raised against them. With purpose.

I love what happened here today.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #252 on: January 04, 2023, 01:59:26 am »
I'm all for fighting back..I just want to know why this wasn't settled before now.

It couldn't be.  The arrogance of the Establishment wouldn't allow it.  McCarthy et al expected every House member to fall in line if they knew what is good for them since he held the key to all committee assignments not to mention all those free Lincoln Center tickets.

The only way to fight this out is here and now.  It doesn't matter one bit how this looks.  What matters is that 'business as usual' ends now.  Democrats can laugh all they want through all this, but what they are counting on is another John Boehner or Paul Ryan.  And they know they have that in Kevin McCarthy.  If McCarthy, Scalise, and company are pushed aside, you won't see Democrats laughing for the next two years.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #253 on: January 04, 2023, 02:00:03 am »
Don't let the theater of it all undermine what happened here today. This resounded through the halls of power and got them shaking worse than anything else that has happened in decades. This was the fat finger of rebellion raised against them. With purpose.

I love what happened here today.

Agree 100%.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #254 on: January 04, 2023, 02:00:15 am »
Kevin McCarthy is too weak, too disrepected, and feared too little to be Speaker ... he's not smart enough nor tough enough to lead.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #255 on: January 04, 2023, 02:01:41 am »
I've been thinking the same thing. I couldn't be happier to see that at least some of my campaign donations went to the right people.

That's right. MT's Rosendale is among em. He'll get my help from here on.

Online corbe

« Reply #256 on: January 04, 2023, 02:05:05 am »

These people will have to sign off first.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #257 on: January 04, 2023, 02:37:43 am »
Uh, no.  Not even close.  There is zero comparison between the two.  Logic clearly is not your strong suit.

Tell me, genius, who are you throwing out McCarthy for?   Or haven't you thought that far ahead?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #258 on: January 04, 2023, 02:51:05 am »
I'm all for fighting back..I just want to know why this wasn't settled before now.

McCarthy's hubris.  He pulled the "Who else ya gonna vote for" string just a bit too often.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bilo

« Reply #259 on: January 04, 2023, 03:06:44 am »

The old guard, especially McCarthy, figured the upstarts would cave at the last minute just like they would. They never figured the upstarts actually meant what they said.

If this goes on for days at some point the Pubs are going to demand that Jordan be the Speaker. No one questions his integrity and he is a fighter.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2023, 03:08:37 am »
So true.

Electing McCarthy just continues GOP's cow-towing to their dim masters.

We need someone to fight back.

AMEN!

So what if it disrupts things. We are long past due for a real change.

Offline bilo

« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2023, 03:15:14 am »
It won't be Jordan. It won't be to the right wing... Though I wish it were so.

As time goes by the strength of the rebels will grow. They are on the right side of this. A majority of Americans know the USA is on the wrong track and things won't change without a change in how things are done. Jordan has the respect of all the conference. The conservatives have made it clear to the liberal Pubs they will not settle for the same old way of doing things and there is no one on the left in the party that is highly respected.

Let the liberals in the party compromise.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2023, 03:25:01 am »
Tell me, genius, who are you throwing out McCarthy for?   Or haven't you thought that far ahead?

Anyone who leads as a Conservative.  Or basically, anyone who is willing to stand up against the Democrats by refusing to fund their excesses.  I have already given you several names.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2023, 03:26:51 am »
That's right. MT's Rosendale is among em. He'll get my help from here on.

All you @roamer_1 -haters out there, take note.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2023, 05:09:31 am »
As time goes by the strength of the rebels will grow. They are on the right side of this. A majority of Americans know the USA is on the wrong track and things won't change without a change in how things are done. Jordan has the respect of all the conference. The conservatives have made it clear to the liberal Pubs they will not settle for the same old way of doing things and there is no one on the left in the party that is highly respected.

Let the liberals in the party compromise.

That's all right... But likely there ain't enough poop to make that happen. *Just* deposing the 'king' is a monumental sea change, if they get that done. Doesn't even matter who ascends. But even that is asking a lot... If they do no more at this point than getting real concessions, it's still a grand and super-worthy win...

But it looks to me that they will try to depose him. And that is saying some... I don't think they have enough weight to have the right ascend, but they could pick something better - Scalise is my bet right now... And that is an extraordinary movement.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2023, 05:10:33 am »
All you @roamer_1 -haters out there, take note.

:beer: :seeya:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #267 on: January 04, 2023, 05:34:53 am »

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:42:17 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #268 on: January 04, 2023, 05:44:59 am »
McCarthy's hubris.  He pulled the "Who else ya gonna vote for" string just a bit too often.

What are you talking about here?

McCarthy won the Republican nomination for Speaker with 86% of the vote @Cyber Liberty   No other viable candidate has been put forward in the seven weeks since he won.

What would you think in his shoes?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:46:02 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2023, 01:44:40 pm »

Lauren Boebert Says McCarthy ‘Smugly Rejected’ Key Proposal That Would’ve Gotten Him 218 Votes

Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado said Tuesday that Rep. Kevin McCarthy of California “smugly rejected” a “common sense” proposal that would have secured him the speakership on the first ballot.

“I have been working for months behind the scenes to create unity,” Boebert told “Special Report” host Bret Baier. “Just last night two colleagues and myself walked into Kevin McCarthy’s office and presented him a very common sense proposal, a deal that got him 218 votes, the gavel on the first ballot and he smugly rejected that.”

https://dailycaller.com/2023/01/03/lauren-boebert-kevin-mccarthy-speaker/

The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #270 on: January 04, 2023, 02:08:16 pm »

Lauren Boebert Says McCarthy ‘Smugly Rejected’ Key Proposal That Would’ve Gotten Him 218 Votes

Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado said Tuesday that Rep. Kevin McCarthy of California “smugly rejected” a “common sense” proposal that would have secured him the speakership on the first ballot.

“I have been working for months behind the scenes to create unity,” Boebert told “Special Report” host Bret Baier. “Just last night two colleagues and myself walked into Kevin McCarthy’s office and presented him a very common sense proposal, a deal that got him 218 votes, the gavel on the first ballot and he smugly rejected that.”

Gaetz said similar in his presser.

Three things became painfully apparently clear yesterday....

* McCarthy is so pathologically arrogant, he moved into the Speakers office prematurely.  If he has to move out, it will be a collosial embarassment.
* His RINO stripes are flashing like a neon sign now, as it is truly evident he rather negotiate with his dimocratic buddies than conservatives. I have posted the Freedom Caucus' list of 3 concessions at least 5 times yesterday.  I challenge any Briefer here to tell me which or any of those 3 that weren't reasonable or acceptable.
* He is a hell of a lot dumber than we thought.  Yesterday's debacle was avoidable, and incredibly embarrassing.  I don't see how he could govern as Speaker with any respect or authority. Tough to lead when both parties are laughing at you.

If McCarthy has any political savy at all, last night he should have gotten the 20 Rebels, and Scalise, and Jordon as facilitators  into a room with a white board, and worked this shit out.   I just don't think he's smart enough........
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 02:09:11 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2023, 02:37:06 pm »
 Gaetz sends letter to Architect of the Capitol asking why McCarthy is occupying Speaker’s office
by Julia Shapero - 01/03/23 11:23 PM ET
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) sent a letter to the Architect of the Capitol on Tuesday questioning why House Speaker candidate Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) was already inhabiting the Speaker’s office amid an intraparty battle over the House’s top leadership position.

“I write to inform you that the Speaker of the House Office located in the U.S. Capitol Building is currently occupied by Rep. Kevin McCarthy,” Gaetz said in the letter.

“As of this morning, the 117th Congress adjourned sine die, and a Speaker from the 118th Congress has not been elected,” he continued. “After three undeciding votes, no member can lay claim to this office.”

McCarthy failed to secure a majority for his Speakership bid in three consecutive votes on Tuesday, leading Republican leaders to adjourn for the day. A group of 19 GOP lawmakers, including Gaetz, consistently opposed McCarthy on all three rounds, with Rep.-elect Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) joining the anti-McCarthy group in the final vote of the day.

McCarthy on Tuesday criticized Gaetz for reportedly saying he did not care if House Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries (N.Y.) was elected in place of McCarthy as a result of the group’s tactics.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3797668-gaetz-sends-letter-to-architect-of-the-capitol-asking-why-mccarthy-is-occupying-speakers-office/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #272 on: January 04, 2023, 02:51:59 pm »

Harold Hutchison
Reporter
January 03, 2023 7:41 PM ET
Font Size:

McCarthy failed to garner the 218 votes needed to become speaker in three ballots Tuesday, receiving 203 votes in the first two ballots, before Republican Rep. Byron Donalds of Florida switched his vote to Republican Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio on the third ballot, leaving the California Republican with 202. Democratic Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York secured 212 votes from Democrats in all three ballots.

more
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #273 on: January 04, 2023, 03:03:32 pm »
 Gaetz sends letter to Architect of the Capitol asking why McCarthy is occupying Speaker’s office
by Julia Shapero - 01/03/23 11:23 PM ET

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) sent a letter to the Architect of the Capitol on Tuesday questioning why House Speaker candidate Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) was already inhabiting the Speaker’s office amid an intraparty battle over the House’s top leadership position.

“I write to inform you that the Speaker of the House Office located in the U.S. Capitol Building is currently occupied by Rep. Kevin McCarthy,” Gaetz said in the letter.

“As of this morning, the 117th Congress adjourned sine die, and a Speaker from the 118th Congress has not been elected,” he continued. “After three undeciding votes, no member can lay claim to this office.”

McCarthy failed to secure a majority for his Speakership bid in three consecutive votes on Tuesday, leading Republican leaders to adjourn for the day. A group of 19 GOP lawmakers, including Gaetz, consistently opposed McCarthy on all three rounds, with Rep.-elect Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) joining the anti-McCarthy group in the final vote of the day.

McCarthy on Tuesday criticized Gaetz for reportedly saying he did not care if House Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries (N.Y.) was elected in place of McCarthy as a result of the group’s tactics.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3797668-gaetz-sends-letter-to-architect-of-the-capitol-asking-why-mccarthy-is-occupying-speakers-office/
Support the USO

Offline bilo

« Reply #274 on: January 04, 2023, 03:37:06 pm »
That's all right... But likely there ain't enough poop to make that happen. *Just* deposing the 'king' is a monumental sea change, if they get that done. Doesn't even matter who ascends. But even that is asking a lot... If they do no more at this point than getting real concessions, it's still a grand and super-worthy win...

But it looks to me that they will try to depose him. And that is saying some... I don't think they have enough weight to have the right ascend, but they could pick something better - Scalise is my bet right now... And that is an extraordinary movement.

Amen!

One thought about the Speakership and McCarthy, hasn't he shown himself to be unsuited to the job because he couldn't reconcile the different groups within the party before the first vote?