Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live Thread #congress #speaker #house #vote  (Read 11796 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: House Speaker Vote Live Thread #congress #speaker #house #vote
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2023, 10:42:38 pm »
House adjourns till Wed at noon...to be continued

Rats are laughing everywhere.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DB

« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2023, 10:48:15 pm »
This is McCarthy's fault for not having the votes before calling for a vote. He thought he could bully his way into the position he covets and was wrong, at least so far.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2023, 11:00:15 pm »
This is McCarthy's fault for not having the votes before calling for a vote. He thought he could bully his way into the position he covets and was wrong, at least so far.

Agree.  The fact this debacle got to 3 votes today is more than perplexing.  This was a lose-lose for him
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2023, 11:30:36 pm »
I wouldn't post this otherwise, except that Hoodat brought it up:
"It took the Second Continental Congress 419 days to declare independence from Britain."

Question:
How long will it take the THIRD (New) Continental Congress to declare independence from DC?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2023, 11:35:22 pm »
James Madisons, George Masons, and George Wythes are in short supply in 2023.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2023, 11:35:53 pm »
Agree.  The fact this debacle got to 3 votes today is more than perplexing. 

No, it's really not.  As a bare minimum, the opposition had a responsibility to have a viable candidate ready to go after McCarthy lost the first vote.  They should have been able to answer the question:  "If not McCarthy, then who?".

Gaetz blew this up without doing the math and strategizing around the reality the numbers present.  He's turned this into a personal vendetta against McCarthy and his principled opposition into a shit show. ---- weakening the entire caucas and strengthening democrats.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2023, 11:42:21 pm »
No, it's really not.  As a bare minimum, the opposition had a responsibility to have a viable candidate ready to go after McCarthy lost the first vote.  They should have been able to answer the question:  "If not McCarthy, then who?".

Once McCarthy's name is off the ballot, you will find out who.

Gaetz blew this up without doing the math and strategizing around the reality the numbers present.  He's turned this into a personal vendetta against McCarthy and his principled opposition into a shit show. ---- weakening the entire caucas and strengthening democrats.

Pure unadulterated crap.  It is the failure to oppose the Democrat agenda that has weakened the entire caucus and strengthened Democrats.  How refreshing it would be to have a Speaker who actually backed what Republicans have been promising for the last 20 years.  Instead, we get the same old non-rational Establishment attacks against Conservatives.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2023, 11:42:55 pm »
   We won the battle but lost the war the last time the Freedom Caucus (Jim Jordan w/Ted Cruz) deposed of Leader Boehner. 
   Hopefully we've learned something.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2023, 11:48:18 pm »
Kevin McCarthy and Steve Scalise were #2 and #3 to both Boehner and Ryan.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2023, 11:51:32 pm »
Once McCarthy's name is off the ballot, you will find out who.

Now you support the old "we have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" logic.  Fascinating turn of events.  :cool:

Offline bilo

« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2023, 11:58:15 pm »

Now McCarthy is damaged goods. It's clear he doesn't have the clout to keep the Pub conference in line on big things. Hopefully tomorrow he will step aside and throw his support to Jim Jordan. It's not hard to see that those that were threatened are not going to turn around and trust him now.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:36:49 am by bilo »
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Hoodat

« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2023, 11:58:47 pm »
Now you support the old "we have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" logic.  Fascinating turn of events.  :cool:

Uh, no.  Not even close.  There is zero comparison between the two.  Logic clearly is not your strong suit.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2023, 12:04:11 am »
Now McCarthy is damaged goods. It's clear he doesn't have the clout to keep the Pub conference in line on big things. Hopefully tomorrow he will step aside and through his support to Jim Jordan. It's not hard to see that those that were threatened are not going to turn around and trust him now.

McCarthy has been #2 (double entendre intended) in GOP leadership for eight years now.  During those eight years, we have seen the House GOP sign off on roughly $15 billion in new debt.  And now, his desire to become Speaker supersedes anything else.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

« Reply #238 on: January 04, 2023, 12:18:25 am »
McCarthy has been #2 (double entendre intended) in GOP leadership for eight years now.  During those eight years, we have seen the House GOP sign off on roughly $15 billion in new debt.  And now, his desire to become Speaker supersedes anything else.

Great points! Also, his arrogance led him to move into the Speaker's office before there was a vote.

I'm loving this. There are conservatives in the Pub party who are willing to lay it all on the line to get real change. I want Reps to know what are in bills before they vote on them. I want Reps on the floor proclaiming why they are for or against something. I want committees to actually play a role in the budget and legislative process. I am sick of seeing a small group in a closed room putting together fiscal packages and or legislation nobody has read. I want oversight to actually mean something.

As the votes continue I'm hoping more start supporting Jordan and McCarthy finally gets it and quits.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #239 on: January 04, 2023, 12:26:35 am »
I found the whole spectacle embarrassing...watching the Dems laughing at each nomination and all chanting Hakeem Hakeem Hakeem....talk about a shit show...I'll say it again..the Repubs had since Nov 8th to pick the Speaker....unbelievable!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #240 on: January 04, 2023, 12:27:34 am »

Sums it up. The Swampy RINO faction expects us to get in line, vote for their leadership, don't question election results, go along with their bipartisanship bootlicking, always do what we're told, always step and fetch for party unity.

But when it's going the other direction, they refuse to back down no matter how many times they lose. McCarthy is now a three time loser. He needs to stand aside for the good of the party and support someone who can win.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #241 on: January 04, 2023, 12:28:43 am »
....talk about a shit show...I'll say it again..the Repubs had since Nov 8th to pick the Speaker....unbelievable!

That's nothing.  They've had since Nov 2020 to come up with a winning campaign strategy.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #242 on: January 04, 2023, 01:00:56 am »
You probably have more insider scoop and connections than anyone else here.

Where and how do you think this thing ends????

I have no idea about the National politics, but McCarthy is in a lot more trouble than I thought....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #243 on: January 04, 2023, 01:06:08 am »
I have no idea about the National politics, but McCarthy is in a lot more trouble than I thought....

Stupid has consequences....

McCarthy declared that Americans don’t “like impeachment used for political purposes at all,” and added that “the country wants to heal” and see a “system that actually works.” That means there will be no impeachment proceedings against Biden, or Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary and former Disinformation Governance Board supreme overlord Alejandro Mayorkas, or Gestapo chief Merrick Garland.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/robert-spencer/2022/10/20/stupid-party-kevin-mccarthy-says-gop-wont-move-to-impeach-biden-or-administration-officials-n1638699

Offline corbe

« Reply #244 on: January 04, 2023, 01:17:20 am »
   The House Freedom Caucus arose from the ashes of the McConnell murder of the TEA Party. 

Inspiring to me to see the flame is still alive

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #245 on: January 04, 2023, 01:21:24 am »
   The House Freedom Caucus arose from the ashes of the McConnell murder of the TEA Party. 

Prime Time

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

« Reply #246 on: January 04, 2023, 01:41:35 am »
I found the whole spectacle embarrassing...watching the Dems laughing at each nomination and all chanting Hakeem Hakeem Hakeem....talk about a shit show...I'll say it again..the Repubs had since Nov 8th to pick the Speaker....unbelievable!

Knocking down the entrenched uniparty was never going to be easy. They destroyed the Tea Party and have tried to destroy the MAGA Pubs, but the MAGA Pubs are fighting back. I really don't care if people are laughing at the public spectacle it's long past time that the uniparty learns conservatives will fight back.

Offline bilo

« Reply #247 on: January 04, 2023, 01:44:50 am »

I've been thinking the same thing. I couldn't be happier to see that at least some of my campaign donations went to the right people.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #248 on: January 04, 2023, 01:45:56 am »
Knocking down the entrenched uniparty was never going to be easy. They destroyed the Tea Party and have tried to destroy the MAGA Pubs, but the MAGA Pubs are fighting back. I really don't care if people are laughing at the public spectacle it's long past time that the uniparty learns conservatives will fight back.

So true.

Electing McCarthy just continues GOP's cow-towing to their dim masters.

We need someone to fight back.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #249 on: January 04, 2023, 01:50:13 am »

I'm all for fighting back..I just want to know why this wasn't settled before now.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34