Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy’s fate on the line, House conservatives warn speaker’s election could take days  (Read 10680 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Ya. And it’s because I can see the damage this doing to the conservative cause. It’s long term damage and it’s severe.

Oh the drama.

We've had Senate filibusters that have went on for weeks and the country went on it's merry way. Most conservatives if they are paying attention are cheering.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Mesaclone

Oh the drama.

We've had Senate filibusters that have went on for weeks and the country went on it's merry way. Most conservatives if they are paying attention are cheering.

Great. So who’s their candidate for the Speakership?
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I just have this on in the background. But if Rosendale was the guy that said there was no one there for votes except the two chosen reps...I am impressed with him for calling this out. When watching voting, I have noticed the lack of reps in an empty chamber.

As far as I'm concerned, when conducting votes, everybody should be AIS (a$$ in seats).

:amen:  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

Now I’m not just jealous of the incredible vistas your state affords, I also want your representative.
He was awesome!

That's right - And I will be backing him to the 9s.  :beer: :patriot: :seeya:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Damn right.  I want to have his baby.

Is that a tomato paste stain is see on your undies?   888mouth
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Damn right.  I want to have his baby.

You’re in luck. I think that’s actually possible these days.   :whistle:
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Mesaclone

Pearl clutching and couch fainting...

Nah. See stupidity, and point it out. That’s all I’m doing.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Oh the drama.

You have to remember that the Conservative cause and the Republican cause do not necessarily coincide. Unfortunately, the GOPe thinks, by virtue of being to the right of the Lunatic Left, that they are "Conservative", when that argument can only be made in a relative sense. The left edge of the road is to the right of the left hand ditch (and the field beyond).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

Oh the drama.

We've had Senate filibusters that have went on for weeks and the country went on it's merry way.

I don't recall Democrats worrying about the clock when they were working overtime to block passage of the Civil Rights Act.

Most conservatives if they are paying attention are cheering.

Yep.  100% correct.  The only people upset are the ones worried about how Democrats will say mean things about them if they don't hurry up and get the Paul Ryan disciple into the Speaker's chair so that the Democrats can start passing spending bills again.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I hope the FC realizes that the rules they're pushing to weaken the power of the Speaker and strengthen the individual members are going to apply to that very large Democratic minority as well.  And they're going to be interested in making a Republican-run Congress look as dysfunctional as possible.

That, coupled with the requirement to have 12 separate appropriations bills, is going to make for some serious chaos later this year.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

That, coupled with the requirement to have 12 separate appropriations bills, is going to make for some serious chaos later this year.

Chaos is not a bad thing.

Offline Hoodat

The requirement for separate appropriations bills is non-negotiable.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Mesaclone

In this context, its a very bad thing. Looking like we can't be functional...not the way to win elections.

Offline Hoodat

In this context, its a very bad thing. Looking like we can't be functional...not the way to win elections.

In other words, style over substance.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Well, the country is likely to be in the midst of a recession, and the Democrats and media will be looking for an easy target to blame.  A GOP-led House that can't pass appropriations bills, and is threatening to send the government into default, will be the perfect villain.

Offline Wingnut

Well, the country is likely to be in the midst of a recession, and the Democrats and media will be looking for an easy target to blame.  A GOP-led House that can't pass appropriations bills, and is threatening to send the government into default, will be the perfect villain.

You say that like it is a bad thing. 

Offline Wingnut

The way we have won other elections hasn't worked well for us.  So WTF.    Burn the party down.

Offline Hoodat

. . . the Democrats and media will be looking for an easy target to blame. . .

By all means, we should avoid doing anything that will piss off the Democrats or the media.  Let's put a collaborator in the Speaker's chair right away to make nice with them.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

You say that like it is a bad thing.

Uh, yes.  I do think giving the Democrats an easy way to blame Republicans for economic problems is a bad thing.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

By all means, we should avoid doing anything that will piss off the Democrats or the media.  Let's put a collaborator in the Speaker's chair right away to make nice with them.

Having a non-existent majority is a really bad time for this combination of rule changes. 

Want to know the worst part?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 03:08:34 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Wingnut

Uh, yes.  I do think giving the Democrats an easy way to blame Republicans for economic problems is a bad thing.

What would change?  Not a damn thing... They have done that forever.

Offline Hoodat

They already have an easy way.  They lie.  Been doing it for decades.  So to hell with playing nice.

And the reason we have economic problems is because Government has too much power.  If the government brings spending below 18% of GDP, then we won't have any economic problems.  And there is no way that will ever happen with Kevin McCarthy in the Speaker's chair.

Or we can elect him Speaker and then listen to Democrats blame Republicans for economic problems, which we will still have.  Your choice.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Having a non-existent majority is a really bad time for this combination of rule changes.

Non-existent?  Do tell.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

What would change?  Not a damn thing... They have done that forever.

Except it has a much harder time sticking if there isn't an actual clusterfuck playing on the news every night for a month while the government goes unfunded.

Offline Wingnut

Except it has a much harder time sticking if there isn't an actual clusterfuck playing on the news every night for a month while the government goes unfunded.

Well, not seeing a problem there,  If we unfund the gov we might actually be better off.