Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy’s fate on the line, House conservatives warn speaker’s election could take days  (Read 10681 times)

Offline art.prout

It speaks volumes about the state of the Nation when this becomes the top topic to be discussed.

888mouth

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
It speaks volumes about the state of the Nation when this becomes the top topic to be discussed.

888mouth

The mainstream media ... Public Enemy #1.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The evisceration?  Lies make Jesus cry.  The ONLY thing that got changed was the penalty for not having health insurance.  Meanwhile, the taxpayer continues to be on the hook for 'Free health insurance' for a continually growing percentage of the population.

You're confusing bills.  The one you're talking about is the one that ended up passing.

The one that Ryan pushed through the House but that was killed by McCain in the Senate - which is the one I specifically mentioned in my post - would have eliminated ObamaCare's federal subsidization of health insurance, among a bunch of other things.   Instead, it would have tossed that burden onto the individual states.   And of course, because the states could not have afforded it and can't deficit spend, it would have died.

That's the more politically possible route as opposed to a balanced budget amendment that is never going to pass. Punt as many federal programs to the states as possible, because the states already are bound by what amount to balanced budget requirements.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 02:27:35 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This is who folks are betting the farm on.  In this rambling, incoherent diatribe Boebert not only proves there is no plan, but admits McCarthy's replacement doesn't have to be a conservative.  . (Video)

https://youtu.be/_hF5aw5K9-Q

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 01:53:09 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
This is who folks are betting the farm on.  In this rambling, incoherent diatribe Boebert not only proves there is no plan, but admits McCarthy's replacement doesn't have to be a conservative.  . (Video)

Sheesh...  no one ever claimed Boebert was a brightest bulb in the closet.  Funny how easy Trump supportes turn on their own, at the first scent of dissention.

You know the aspects of ambush interviews RIV, but whats more sad than this video, is seeing the likes of Hannity, Levin, and even Trump selling out their conservative cred to a guy who promises to play nice with dims at every opportunity.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

Everyone here absolutely hates Mitch McConnell, yet a good portion of folks are cheering on Kevin McCarthy as Speaker.  I find that odd, since they're basically the same kind of animal.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Everyone here absolutely hates Mitch McConnell, yet a good portion of folks are cheering on Kevin McCarthy as Speaker.  I find that odd, since they're basically the same kind of animal.

Trump gave his minions here and elsewhere marching orders to support McCarthy. 

Not too surprised.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Trump gave his minions here and elsewhere marching orders to support McCarthy. 

Not too surprised.

I don't like McCarthy, and wish he wasn't going to be Speaker.  But he won the conference vote overwhelmingly.  If we want a more conservative Speaker, we have to elect a lot more conservative representatives than we historically have.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
You're right -- I shouldn't have said it that broadly.  I'd just read something about the feds requiring the states to do the administrative end of a proposed national sales tax because the infrastructure already exists, and that would require an Amendment to compel the states to assist.  But a basic sales tax wouldn't.

@Maj. Bill Martin The bill (HR25 in the last Congress) does not compel states (45 of which are already doing it) to do anything but would compensate them for their trouble should they decide to add a few lines of code to their software.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 02:47:19 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I don't like McCarthy, and wish he wasn't going to be Speaker.  But he won the conference vote overwhelmingly.  If we want a more conservative Speaker, we have to elect a lot more conservative representatives than we historically have.

I have no trouble with McCarthy if he leads as a conservative.  That is why this rebellion happened in the first place.  No secret he'd rather negotiate with the dims than his own conservatve branch of his own party.

If we can keep him on a short leash, I think he sinks himself within a year anyway. No way this RINO rehabilitates.   As far as I am concerned Jordon's the future of GOP congress anyway

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If one simply eliminates the 16th Amendment, the only thing one does is to prohibit income taxation of capital gains and rents.  Income tax on wages would continue as before.  Why?  Read the 1895 Income Tax Cases carefully.

Exactly correct.  And nowhere does the 16th compel an income tax nor does anything elsewhere in the constitution.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

Try thinking of it this way:

Congress is the business of government. The November conference was the Board of Directors meeting to choose the man or woman to be the Republican Corporation's CEO candidate to be voted on by the general shareholders.  The Board's vote is legally binding.

If you're unhappy with the outcome,  find a way to work with it or resign and find another Board.

I could try thinking of it that way.  But it wouldn't be an accurate representation of the situation.

Here's the deal.  The rules dictate that the next Speaker receive a majority of the votes of all members present.  Since a majority of the members are Republicans, it is very highly likely that the person who ends up receiving a majority is a Republican.

Now, let's look at what Republican ends up receiving that majority.  As it stand now, that person will need all but four of the Republican votes.  But currently, there are 21 Republicans who are holding up that process.  And the reason they are doing so is because they are sick and tired of the GOP Establishment running roughshod over the voters. 

Everything we have complained about for the last 16 years, these 21 Reps advocate.  Every time we've been screwed over by Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, John Boehner, Reince Priebus, Ronna McDaniel, etc., they have heard our cries and are willing to fight to do away with those Swamp rats.  Unlike Trump, these 21 reps actually are trying to drain the Swamp.  They stand in the gap.  They advocate for everything we have complained about for over a decade.  And they are our only hope.

I will not surrender to the Swamp.  I stand with anyone willing to fight to send the old guard to pasture and replace them with people willing to stand up for the Constitution of the United States of America, and to the Republic it once upheld.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

The mainstream media ... Public Enemy #1.

The mainstream media is all in for McCarthy.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Mesaclone

I have no trouble with McCarthy if he leads as a conservative.  That is why this rebellion happened in the first place.  No secret he'd rather negotiate with the dims than his own conservatve branch of his own party.

If we can keep him on a short leash, I think he sinks himself within a year anyway. No way this RINO rehabilitates.   As far as I am concerned Jordon's the future of GOP congress anyway

Thanks to the idiocy of 19 morons these past few days, the GOP has no future in the Congress. This dimwitted tantrum has ruined the 2024 electoral cycle…and likely the next decades worth of cycles… for Conservatives and we won’t be seeing any majorities for MANY cycles.

The competency of EVERY single GOP congressman and/or candidate is now shredded…and while voters can be forgiving of many shortcomings, this perception of incompetence is a death sentence for the Conservative movement. Great work.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:57:35 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Thanks to the idiocy of 19 morons these past few days, the GOP has no future in the Congress. This dimwitted tantrum has ruined the 2024 electoral cycle…and likely the next decades worth of cycles… for Conservatives and we won’t be seeing any majorities for MANY cycles.

The competency of EVERY single GOP congressman and/or candidate is now shredded…and while voters can be forgiving of many shortcomings, this perception of incompetence is a death sentence for the Conservative movement. Great work.

Not sure it is that bad yet.  I'm sure it will be used by Dems in 2024, and may swing some close elections.  But a lot also may happen between now and 2024 that would overshadow this.

Offline DB

Go find a fire extinguisher, your heads on fire...
 ***hair on fire

Offline Polly Ticks

Not sure it is that bad yet.  I'm sure it will be used by Dems in 2024, and may swing some close elections.  But a lot also may happen between now and 2024 that would overshadow this.

Not to mention that a large majority of voters are not that 'down in the weeds' with the inner workings of the House. I think it would be a bigger issue if a new Speaker is installed -- whoever that may end up being -- and continues to push through huge omnibus spending bills, green nonsense that drives up the cost of everything, etc. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online roamer_1

***hair on fire

YUP. I'll betcha them Conservatives have no problem getting reelected... I know I will be for Rosendale.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
YUP. I'll betcha them Conservatives have no problem getting reelected... I know I will be for Rosendale.

Now I’m not just jealous of the incredible vistas your state affords, I also want your representative.
He was awesome!
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Pearl clutching and couch fainting...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Pearl clutching and couch fainting...

The entertainment value provided by this thread vis-a-vis the GOP house is Top Notch.

In fact you can smell McCarthy's stench all the way to California from DC
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
The entertainment value provided by this thread vis-a-vis the GOP house is Top Notch.

In fact you can smell McCarthy's stench all the way to California from DC

Each subsequent ballot just adds punch lines to his resume'

I really fell sorry for the embarassment he is having to endure.

Offline Mesaclone

***hair on fire

Ya. And it’s because I can see the damage this doing to the conservative cause. It’s long term damage and it’s severe.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline berdie

I just have this on in the background. But if Rosendale was the guy that said there was no one there for votes except the two chosen reps...I am impressed with him for calling this out. When watching voting, I have noticed the lack of reps in an empty chamber.

As far as I'm concerned, when conducting votes, everybody should be AIS (a$$ in seats).

Offline Hoodat

Now I’m not just jealous of the incredible vistas your state affords, I also want your representative.
He was awesome!

Damn right.  I want to have his baby.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-