Author Topic: ‘Saving the Dark’ (Light pollution fanaticism)  (Read 184 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Saving the Dark’ (Light pollution fanaticism)
« on: December 24, 2022, 06:18:40 pm »
‘Saving the Dark’ (Light pollution fanaticism)
By Robert Bradley Jr. -- December 21, 2022
“The number of species affected by the growing light pollution problem is large and expanding.  Oddly enough and justly we humans have in recent years been added to that list.”

“Generating the power to these lights has contributed millions of tons of CO2 to the atmosphere annually, thus contributing to global climate change, with no human benefit.”

– The Rewilding Institute (below)

The Deep Ecologists just don’t like human beings doing their own thing. Don’t eat meat. Don’t drive or fly. Don’t multiply. And … don’t violate the natural darkness.

There is even a International Dark-Sky Association formed in 2001 in the cause of promoting night sky for land-based astronomy. Enter Jason Kahn, who introduces the film Saving the Dark in this article, The Ecological & Human Need for Dark Skies. Included in his article below is the statement that “a 2015 study … found that streetlights and outdoor lighting in general don’t deter crime, prevent accidents, or by extension make us any safer.” So take a deep breath before reading his whole piece….

https://www.masterresource.org/conservationism/saving-darkness-fanaticism/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson