Author Topic: Japan Embraces Nuclear Power, Cancels Phase Out Plans  (Read 279 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Japan Embraces Nuclear Power, Cancels Phase Out Plans
« on: December 24, 2022, 02:19:59 pm »
Japan Embraces Nuclear Power, Cancels Phase Out Plans
18 hours ago Eric Worrall 88 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

Nuclear power serves “an important role as a carbon-free baseload energy source in achieving supply stability and carbon neutrality”.

Japan reverses nuclear energy phase-out policy amid global fuel shortages, climate change

Japan has adopted a new policy promoting greater use of nuclear energy to ensure a stable power supply amid global fuel shortages and to reduce carbon emissions, in a major reversal of its phase-out plan following the Fukushima crisis.

Key points:

Japan plans to maximise its existing nuclear reactors by restarting as many as possible
The policy reversal argues that nuclear power provides stable output and serves “an important role”
A Fukushima disaster survivor says the new ruling is “extremely disappointing”
The new policy says Japan must maximise the use of existing nuclear reactors by restarting as many of them as possible and prolonging the operating life of old reactors beyond their 60-year limit, and by developing next-generation reactors to replace them.

Anti-nuclear sentiment and safety concerns rose sharply in Japan after the 2011 Fukushima disaster, and restart approvals have since come slowly under stricter safety standards.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/12/23/japan-goes-all-in-on-nuclear-power-cancels-phase-out-plans/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Japan Embraces Nuclear Power, Cancels Phase Out Plans
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 02:20:58 pm »
What does Japan know about the harmful effects of nuclear power? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: Japan Embraces Nuclear Power, Cancels Phase Out Plans
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 04:04:01 pm »
Viewed rationally, Fukashima was actually a confirmation of the safety of nuclear power:  a nuclear plant with outdated safety features that didn't have a fail-safe shut down in the event of power loss was hit with a disaster that far exceeded those considered in its design specs, actually had a core melt down and what?  They had to discharge some radioactive water into the ocean, temporarily evacuate an area around the plant that is now back in use...

If the climate alarmists were really serious, they'd be pushing for standardized nuclear reactors with fail-safe shut down mechanisms to be build everywhere where there's enough water for cooling (or maybe not even there are liquid salt cooled reactor designs) and not prone to earthquakes or tsunamis everywhere in the developed world (and in any developing country that can afford them).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.