Author Topic: On the Materials Intensity of Wind Power. No, Net Zero is not happening  (Read 189 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
On the Materials Intensity of Wind Power
No, Net Zero is not happening

POSTED ON 12 DEC 22
BY JITIN ENERGY, NET ZERO, UNCATEGORIZED, WIND POWER

It has often been remarked that in our [insert pejorative adjective here] pursuit of Net Zero, we are attempting to replace an energy system that is fossil-fuel intensive with one that is material intensive. A recent IEA report has this as one of its subheadings:

The shift from a fuel-intensive to a material-intensive energy system
Wherein it notes:

A typical electric car requires six times the mineral inputs of a conventional car and an onshore wind plant requires nine times more mineral resources than a gas-fired plant of the same capacity.

IEA, op. cit.
Their boss may not know much about energy, but perhaps some of his minions actually have studied the matter. Because the energy density of wind is so low, a lot of equipment is required to extract useful amounts of power. That equipment has a large mass and covers a large area; it has to be widely spaced so that wake effects and blocking do not make matters even worse. So much so obvious, although apparently not to the important people, those whose responsibility it is to decide what is a good energy system and what is not.

I have been looking into just how materials intensive wind power is for some time. Estimates vary, of course. The following table shows estimates of metals usage per MW, made by the World Bank:

https://cliscep.com/2022/12/12/on-the-materials-intensity-of-wind-power/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: On the Materials Intensity of Wind Power. No, Net Zero is not happening
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 02:50:08 pm »
 ////00000////

... but it helps the Limousine Liberal elites feel smug and sanctimonious as they sleep well at night, so, it's all cool.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.