Author Topic: Why Do We Keep Upgrading the Ancient B-52 Bomber?  (Read 915 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why Do We Keep Upgrading the Ancient B-52 Bomber?
« on: December 04, 2022, 12:37:00 pm »
Story by Brent M. Eastwood • Yesterday 10:28 AM

Just when you think the B-52 bomber has seen better days, Boeing drags you back in. The defense giant has released a computer-generated rendering of what an updated B-52 will look like once it gets its new engines, the latest radar, and undergoes other cosmetic changes. These upgrades are some of the most substantial modifications in decades, and they will keep the B-52 in service until at least 2050. The question remains whether it is wise to put so much effort into a bomber whose mission set might nevertheless be substantially constrained compared to the past.

B-52: Getting Nosy

The Stratofortress will have a new, sleek appearance. Rolls-Royce F130 turbofans will propel this B-52 variant, which will be designated as the B-52J or B-52K. The four engine pods will be larger, with each containing two F130 powerplants. The new engines will be more fuel-efficient, will have new digital controls, and will require less maintenance. The updated B-52 will also cost less to fly. Boeing went back to basics on the nose design. The latest B-52 models will have a rounded nose, and no fairings will sit beneath the bomber’s front. Those components previously housed the dated Electro-Optical Viewing System, with its forward-looking infrared apparatus and low-light-level television system. This set-up was used to facilitate flight at lower altitudes and to conduct intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance missions. Now the nose will contain modern active electronically scanned array radars. This is the same sensor system used on the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and EA-18G Growler, so Air Force and Navy interoperability will be improved. The new radar will help with situational awareness and longer-range target detection. Electronic warfare capabilities inherent in the system allow for jamming and other countermeasures.

What About Changes to Aerial Combat?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/why-do-we-keep-upgrading-the-ancient-b-52-bomber/ar-AA14REDQ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d727fc685c4442e2beb2fdff367a501c
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

Re: Why Do We Keep Upgrading the Ancient B-52 Bomber?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 01:04:46 pm »
We should be doing the same thing with the A-10... When you finally get it right, keep it...

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 01:11:28 pm »

Because it still works and we have nothing else to replace it, thanks to the fighter mafia at DoD.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 04:00:39 pm »
We should be doing the same thing with the A-10... When you finally get it right, keep it...
All of that with the bonus being it it cheaper to upgrade than to replace...and that's why you hear chatter to retire them from reps of states with defense contractors that build aircraft.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 04:01:38 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 04:03:23 pm »
We're still upgrading the F-15 as well.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 04:04:22 pm »
Because the platform, like the A-10 and others - work!

Is it really outdated if it gives superior results? Should we run our military on some kind of Marxist progressivist concept of 'well it's ooooooooooooooooollllllld (w/teenage eye roll for emphasis) so we got to get rid of it even though it works!'?
'
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:10:09 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 04:07:58 pm »
B-52's are ancient.  Even as a 10 year old kid listening to the nightly news about Vietnam, B-52's were in the military hardware venacular. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 04:15:52 pm »
We're still upgrading the F-15 as well.

But retiring the F-22!

An In-Depth Analysis of why USAF wants to retire the F-22 Raptor

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/an-in-depth-analysis-of-why-usaf-wants-to-retire-the-f-22-raptor/

:dammit:
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 04:26:27 pm »
But retiring the F-22!

An In-Depth Analysis of why USAF wants to retire the F-22 Raptor

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/an-in-depth-analysis-of-why-usaf-wants-to-retire-the-f-22-raptor/

:dammit:

The F-22 sounds like a real loser from that article.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 08:34:32 pm »
Because it works,we already have the B-52's,and there is no reason to replace them?

Same reason we still use the belt-fed 50 caliber MG.

If it ain't broke,it don't need fixing.

Do I win anything?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 08:38:27 pm »

@EdinVA

The B-52's were in our inventory and dropping bombs in Asia long before the A-10 (which I happen to freaking LOVE!)
came into being.

I seriously think the USAF made a huge mistake by getting rid of the old A1E Skyraiders. Sure,they were not as fast to get to the target as the newer A-10's,but they could definity deliver the damn-damn right where it was needed up close for the ground troops.

They should have kept them in service,AND added the A-10's. Why restrict yourself to just one "tool".

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 08:40:31 pm »
B-52's are ancient.  Even as a 10 year old kid listening to the nightly news about Vietnam, B-52's were in the military hardware venacular.

@catfish1957

AND......?

It's not like they have to walk anywhere,and take frequent rest stops and bathrome breaks.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 08:43:08 pm »
The F-22 sounds like a real loser from that article.

@Kamaji

I agree,but please take note that I know next to nothing about it. I am more interested in ground support attack aircraft.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 08:43:31 pm »
@EdinVA

The B-52's were in our inventory and dropping bombs in Asia long before the A-10 (which I happen to freaking LOVE!)
came into being.

I seriously think the USAF made a huge mistake by getting rid of the old A1E Skyraiders. Sure,they were not as fast to get to the target as the newer A-10's,but they could definity deliver the damn-damn right where it was needed up close for the ground troops.

They should have kept them in service,AND added the A-10's. Why restrict yourself to just one "tool".
@sneakypete
I agree.  My interpretation of what I am reading is the AF does not want CAS... to slow, to hard, to dangerous and not sexy enough.  The AF would be happy if the Army or Marines took it over....
Very disappointing...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 08:55:10 pm »
@sneakypete
I agree.  My interpretation of what I am reading is the AF does not want CAS... to slow, to hard, to dangerous and not sexy enough.  The AF would be happy if the Army or Marines took it over....
Very disappointing...

@EdinVA

The USAF brass has never cared about anything that wasn't a zoomie fighter aircraft.

I honestly think that in the case of the old A1E that stayed in service for so many years and the B-52 that this pig-headedness worked in favor of our men on the ground as well as for strategic bombing purposes with the B-52's.

BTW,it is nothing less than awesome to stand along a runway and watch a flight of loaded B-52's take off for a bombing missing. Noise so freaking loud you can FEEL it hit your body,and then you  look and see the damn wings flapping up and down as it tries to take off with all that weight.

It really is one of the things you have to see for yourself to understand.

And here is the Air Farce brass trying to re-invent the freaking wheel?

What the hell is the matter with those bozo's?

BTW,I once had a flight of B-52's drop down to the deck and fly close air-support for the 6 man recon team I was working with in Laos. We were surrounded on a hilltop and the NVA were trying to over run us. We had already had a couple of flights of A1E's and zoomies doing bomb and gun runs,and here comes the freaking B-52's,flying so low you could see the numbers painted on them. When those big boys started circling and opening their bomb bay doors,you could hear the NVA screaming in panic as they ran away. There ain't no surviving a 500 lb bomb dropped on your asses!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 08:59:03 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 09:00:36 pm »
@EdinVA

The USAF brass has never cared about anything that wasn't a zoomie fighter aircraft.

I honestly think that in the case of the old A1E that stayed in service for so many years and the B-52 that this pig-headedness worked in favor of our men on the ground as well as for strategic bombing purposes with the B-52's.

BTW,it is nothing less than awesome to stand along a runway and watch a flight of loaded B-52's take off for a bombing missing. Noise so freaking loud you can FEEL it hit your body,and then you  look and see the damn wings flapping up and down as it tries to take off with all that weight.

BTW,I once had a flight of B-52's drop down to the deck and fly close air-support for the 6 man recon team I was working with in Laos. We were surrounded on a hilltop and the NVA were trying to over run us. We had already had a couple of flights of A1E's and zoomies doing bomb and gun runs,and here comes the freaking B-52's,flying so low you could see the numbers painted on them. When those big boys started circling and opening their bomb bay doors,you could hear the NVA screaming in panic as they ran away. There ain't no surviving a 500 lb bomb dropped on your asses!
"Off we go into the wild blue yonder...."

No mention of pickling bombs on the deck, or gunning for bad guys gunning for our guys...

Being that close to the mud and the blood might get their flight suits dirty.

But to give those 'nap of the earth' bomber pilots credit, they have been observed from the drill floor of an oil rig---looking down on the top of the BUFF going up a draw in the badlands. That's impressive, I don't care who you are. :patriot:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:02:53 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 09:09:10 pm »
"Off we go into the wild blue yonder...."

No mention of pickling bombs on the deck, or gunning for bad guys gunning for our guys...

Being that close to the mud and the blood might get their flight suits dirty.

But to give those 'nap of the earth' bomber pilots credit, they have been observed from the drill floor of an oil rig---looking down on the top of the BUFF going up a draw in the badlands. That's impressive, I don't care who you are. :patriot:

@Smokin Joe

Yup,and it is always the fighter pilots that get all the attention.

You would THINK that MAYBE the USAF brass would look at all the pilots that VOLUNTEERED to fly the old A1E fighter bombers in VN  to the point the A1E Squadron commanders had their choice of the top pilots. No kidding!

One of the coolest things I have ever seen in my life was a A1E pilot coming in on a straffing run,firing his 50's with the canopy open so his silk scarf could be seen flying outside the cockpit,and then doing a barrel roll over us so close to the ground we could see him smiling.

And you ain't ever heard any music that sounds as sweet as one of those old radial engines opened up to pull out of a dive. Hell,I could get wood just listening to them idle at the airstrips.

THAT is a class act,my friend!

God,but how we loved those guys. Any time any of them visited our base camp,they never had to buy a drink in our club. Same with the helicopter crews that supported our inserts and extractions.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:10:51 pm by sneakypete »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 09:32:57 pm »
@EdinVA

@sneakypete
Unfortunately, the AF is all about politics.  Not gonna say the grunts don't matter but politics rules..
That's the main reason I got out after 7 years.... just got tired of having to watch my back..